Decisions decisions!

Bike
ST1300
I own a 2003 ST1300. It's absolutely immaculate not a mark on it and with just 20k dry miles on the clock.
Ive just done a 250 mile run and it has run as sweetly as ever, beautifully smooth and quite with no sign of a problem. I guess I could get between ?5-6k for it as its so good.

Now my problem, like it or not it's now 12 years of age! So do I change it for a 1-2 year old low mileage Pan or do I buy new with the thought that Honda may well shortly stop producing the Pan European?
I love my Pan and don't really want to change it for a different bike, so if I buy new I guess I've got a good ten years of Pan riding ahead of me!

So what would you do in my position?

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Ride it until it dies....nothing gained by newer versions.....and after 12 years it doesn't owe you anything....have fun........ff.....and put the money you saved by taking all those trips you want to do.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Ride it like you stole it man!

Only 20K it's not even broke it yet. Put in New liquids, brake pads, thermostat, air cleaner, tires, hoses and you got a new bike.......

T

Ride it until it dies....nothing gained by newer versions.....and after 12 years it doesn't owe you anything....have fun........ff.....and put the money you saved by taking all those trips you want to do.
well said! +1

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I'm approaching 100K (miles, not kilometers...) on my '05. Your bike will last a long time; 20K is nothing. If you're happy with it, keep riding. It'll be broken in pretty soon...

Bike
02 ST 1100
STOC #
My 1100 is an 02, with 58 K, just beginning to settle in good. With regular maint. I figure she will stick with me till I hang up my Helment. I'm 66 now,and just retired. Now I should be able to get out more and see new places. Good luck and enjoy your bike.

I cant believe Honda quit making the ST1300. I was looking into buying one but not now. You should look into an FJR1300 or Concours14.

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
If buying a 2012 (or so) model would yield you things that your 2003 doesn't have (ie: cruise control, traction control, heated grips, heated seats, electronic suspension, etc), then it'd be a tough decision.

But, you wouldn't gain anything except a higher resale value by getting a newer ST13.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
When my '05 had about 130 to 140K on it, I decided I needed a newer one with less miles to keep around for long rides, since I had never owned a bike with that much mileage on it before, I just wasn't trusting the '05.

Well, three restored wrecks later, I think I would have been better off buying a new bike and keeping the '05 for my commutes. I had less trouble with the '05 at 174K, then I have with these others...mostly due to age... Oil and coolant leaks.

OP
OP
medskipper
Bike
ST1300
My 1100 is an 02, with 58 K, just beginning to settle in good. With regular maint. I figure she will stick with me till I hang up my Helment. I'm 66 now,and just retired. Now I should be able to get out more and see new places. Good luck and enjoy your bike.
Good for you, I'm 67 now and I just refuse to believe it so I went out and bought the biggest production bike on the market! A Triumph Rocket 111 roadster! Boy this thing nearly rips your arms out their sockets when you twist the throttle! I had to start going to the gym to do some weight lifting :)

Bike
02 ST 1100
STOC #
Well Skipper, the 1100 is plenty Quick, and I don't know what the top end is. I had her up to 120 one time, and was still in fourth gear, and she was still pulling hard. I went to fifth and backed out of it thinking "you're too old to be going this fast you Old Fart" It was on a highway that I knew very well no intersections roads or driveways for miles. A good place to open one up, but that was open enough for me. One of the Kids I worked with was with me, he rides a Bussa, and offered to find out just how fast she would go. I backed away from that and said She will run faster than me and that is just fine.

Top Bottom