The latest tire change technology

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
That's a slick trick... think I will try it on the next change coming up in about a month.... Thanks for posting.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Cool idea. What about taking old tires off? Will zip ties work?

OP
OP
ST-Traveler
Bike
2007 ST1300
There are several video's on You Tube using Zip ties for tire changes. Its the new duct tape. I bet the fella's at NO-MAR hope no one sees this vid. You can buy a lot of zip ties for $500 bucks. However I'm not sure you can remove a tire with this method but it sure looked easy getting it back on the rim, and it was even the rear tire which is the hardest of the 2.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Aren't some tires harder to mount than others? Do you think this would work for all of the commonly used tires for the ST?

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Aren't some tires harder to mount than others? Do you think this would work for all of the commonly used tires for the ST?
There's a YouTube video that demonstrates changing from softer PR3 to a harder PR4 GT on an ST1300. In that video the fellow used bearings on the axle and balanced the tire with bearings between two 4"x4" posts mounted on trash cans! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmhwHqRWe_M&feature=youtu.be Watched several other videos demonstrating the technique with different motorcycles and tires. So I guess it does work for most tires we would use.

Guess I'll be changing my own tires from now on, since I know I'll clean those rim beads real good. :D

Great post!

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Conversely, if you have a hard time getting both beads to make enough contact to quit leaking you put a ratchet strap around the circumference and tighten it up. That forces the beads outward.

richpeabody

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
yes
Guys are simply cutting the old tire off....hacksaw and Dremel tool for the beads....
My friend uses "Gorilla tape"
He built a "box" from foam insulation and puts the new tire in with a light bulb....makes the tire pliably and expands it just a bit to make install easier
Have fun!

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Conversely, if you have a hard time getting both beads to make enough contact to quit leaking you put a ratchet strap around the circumference and tighten it up. That forces the beads outward.
I used that trick on a pr3 rear. Worked fine with a 12v compressor I keep in my truck. I kept the cam on the ground and straddled the tire. Sat on the tire and bounced a little and it popped right on. Kept the cam down just because I had visions of the strap failing and turning it into a missile.

Cool trick. I have used the plastic garbage bag technique a couple of times and it worked nicely.

Dave

Bike
2010 ST1300
There's a YouTube video that demonstrates changing from softer PR3 to a harder PR4 GT on an ST1300. In that video the fellow used bearings on the axle and balanced the tire with bearings between two 4"x4" posts mounted on trash cans! Watched several other videos demonstrating the technique with different motorcycles and tires. So I guess it does work for most tires we would use.

Guess I'll be changing my own tires from now on, since I know I'll clean those rim beads real good. :D

Great post!
Were those front wheel bearings that he used to do the static balancing? I assume I can go to a bearing house and buy a couple of cheaper bearings - without seals and dry if possible to reduce friction - to use for this purpose. As long as they fit the front axle, right?

He made it look soooooo easy. I'm going to send my wheels to him next time..... lol.

v8-7

Site Supporter
That's inspirational . Even though I have a harbor freight tire machine, I picked up 10 24" zip ties today.. it looks like an easier way to do it .

JT105

Let's Ride!
Bike
12 ST1300, 15 NC700X
Noticed the ST rim had right angle valve stems. Where do you get those and how do you put them in? It is a hassle airing up the straight stems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ST-Traveler
Bike
2007 ST1300
I timed it, once he started, the tire was on the rim in just 23 seconds.
I have a set of Bridgestone T30-GT's I'm going to try this with on the next change out. I hope it is as easy as it looks.

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Were those front wheel bearings that he used to do the static balancing? I assume I can go to a bearing house and buy a couple of cheaper bearings - without seals and dry if possible to reduce friction - to use for this purpose. As long as they fit the front axle, right?

He made it look soooooo easy. I'm going to send my wheels to him next time..... lol.
Looks like they are the front wheel bearings. For the rear tire you'd need those bearings too unless they're the same, I'll have to look.

Somehow, I think I'll find a way to make it difficult.;)

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I timed it, once he started, the tire was on the rim in just 23 seconds.
I have a set of Bridgestone T30-GT's I'm going to try this with on the next change out. I hope it is as easy as it looks.
Not sure if the stiff T30 tires will slide on what looked like a PR tire in the video which have very soft sidewalls. Let us know how it works on those stiff tires.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
I tried that process a few years ago. It took me much longer to strap my BT020 (stiff) rear tire ... before even trying to get it on the rim ... than any other tire change I did using just tire irons & rim protectors. Did it work? Yes. Was it work the time & effort. No. Made me appreciate my No-Mar all that much more.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Is the ST1300 procedure different from the ST1100 front tire change procedure?
The video shows him tightening the pinch bolts without 'bouncing' the front wheel.

I don't have my 1300 manual handy and the video says he uses the 'ha**es' manual (a dirty word in my personal dictionary! ;) ).

Top Bottom