Pigeon strike - any bird watchers recognise the second bird? Also new screen needed!

Bike
2003 ST1100P non ABS
This happened to me earlier this week on my trip up to Scotlandshire. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOu3KgTLi9c&feature=youtu.be It's been suggested that the second bird that can be seen to the left in the final slowed down section of the video is some sort of hawk that was chasing the pigeon. Are there any twitchers here that can recognise what this is?

Whatever it is, I need a new screen now:(. The screen I lost to the pigeon was a nice MRA Vario flip up screen but I'm thinking of replacing it with just a flip up to the original screen (once I've dug it out of the loft). Has anyone experience of using this and how would it compare with the MRA Vario? TBH the Vario was much better than the standard screen but I still had quite a bit of blast to my head with it as I'm quite tall (6'3") and I'm thinking of going for the even taller maxi vario screen if not the basic flip up extension.

Thanks for any advice,

Gareth

KTD1911

R.I.P. - 2020/10/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
2018 can am spyderf3
Re: Pigeon strike - any bird watchers recognise the second bird? Also new screen need

Well the kind of bird that hit your screen ..... It is call Dead Bird

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Re: Pigeon strike - any bird watchers recognise the second bird? Also new screen need

Nice shot there! Glad it didn't do more damage!

That was as exciting when Byron hit a Pheasant! Needless to say, the bird was too well tenderized to bother cooking it!

ByronsPheasant.jpg

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #

It's a henway :rimshot1::duck:
Glad you weren't hurt.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #

Glad you weren't hurt.
I'm not gonna ask what's a henway - already know the answer. Let's see if anyone bites,,,

Bike
Suzuki Gladius

Glad you weren't hurt.
I'm not gonna ask what's a henway - already know the answer. Let's see if anyone bites,,,
About 4 to 6 pounds. And that's the most ridiculous thing I evah hoyd!

Attachments

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #

Now that Hawk probably thanked you for hitting that bird as he was after a meal. I had a hawk do the same thing at my house chasing a smaller bird right into the sliding glass door, the hawk flew under the awning and hovered looked at me and just grabbed the dead bird and off he went to eat it. Glad it is only a windshield you have to replace. I like the ones from here http://www.st1300-accessories.co.uk/st1300_windscreens.html

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A

Do you know what the last thing that goes through a bird's mind when it gets hit??

T

Last edited:
Bike
05 st1300
STOC #

Was hit on the helmet by a quail coming into John day, Oregon this past August. Helmet saved my life.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #

Was hit on the helmet by a quail coming into John day, Oregon this past August. Helmet saved my life.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk
Sure didn't do much for the bird though! :)

Bike
2010 ST1300

My finl crashed his GW 30 some years ago because of a bird strike. He crushed his elbow and cant ride now.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #

Do you know what the last thing that goes through a bird's mind when it gets hit??
T
It's beak?

What's a polygon?

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #

LOL.
piningforthe fjords.jpg

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A

ah yes....me forgets....Monty!

T

Was it on a TV?

nokesy

2007 ST1300A
Bike
2012 RSS Spyder

Not sure what kind of hawks you have over there but that looks like one. Much better than the wild turkey I took out.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A

Glad you took out the turkey, then the other way around...... those things can be huge.

When was that ???

T

Bike
2004 ST1300

Great job riding through the impact. Hardly even strayed in the lane. Watching the shield disintegrate makes me wonder even more about all the riders in this area who think a set of sunglasses, usually without a helmet, is adequate eye protection.

Bike
2005 ST1300

Watching the shield disintegrate makes me wonder even more about all the riders in this area who think a set of sunglasses, usually without a helmet, is adequate eye protection.
No kidding +1 on that. A pheasant took me off my dirt bike when I was a kid. Being a kid I just bounced, but if I did it today I probably get pretty smashed up.

Bike
2006 ST1300

I hit a vulture late last Fall. It was eating a dead something at the side of the road. I slowed to about 40 and he takes off and flies right at me!. he hit below the windshield and I think no damage, good. I later notice the headlight flops up and down more now.

Over the winter I had the bike apart and bent the 2 metal tabs of the subframe back out that hold the headlight/upper fairing. Fixed.

So any front impact check those tabs.

Top Bottom