Show us your KLR - for Smash

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I thought it would be great, being there are so many KLR owners here, to show Smash your KLR and how it is setup. May give him some ideas for his new bike.

So here's mine.
685 kit
Thermo-bob
torsion spring-doohickey
manual cam chain tensioner
16 tooth countershaft sprocket
KTM style swing down mirrors (for going through tight spots)
Modded airbox
JD (James Dean) jetting kit (huge difference in throttle response and overall rideability) (James Dean owns a KLR)
advanced exhaust cam timing (1 tooth forward)
Seat Concepts seat with Alaska leather sheepskin
SW MoTech guards and skid plate
rubber isolated bar-backs
Garmin GPSmap 620 with Topo-maps installed for off road
Leo Vince - Forest Service Approved exhaust (quiet and a bit more mid range - 8 lbs lighter than stock)
Side cover guards (brand?)
Enlarged top plate for luggage rack
Calif-Sci windshield with adjustable - MRA lip
10A LED t-stem mounted lights
LED Hi and Low beam CREE lights (bright!!)
LED flashing tail light (bright!)
320MM front rotor with Eagle Mike stainless caliper relocation mount.
Braided brake lines with relocated rear lines to prevent hanging on branches etc.
master cylinder guard
longer shift lever to accomodate big boots
cleated footpegs
center stand
Low mount front fender (increases cooling by 15% and improves cross wind and truck turbulence instability. ( I don't ride much in mud)
EXP valving in forks modded with adjustable air valves to change spring rate
Progressive rear shock with hydraulic preload adjuster.
Shorai Lithium batter - (lost 7 lbs- helps make up for increased farkle weight)
Metzeler Karoo 3 tires - I've tried about every tire made for the KLR - the Karoo 3 tires wear like iron and work really well on and off road. My current rear tire has over 6k miles and looks like it will go another 2k at least - they're inexpensive as well.

Sounds like a lot but the mods and parts for the KLR are not too expensive and the purchase price of the bike was so low that I don't have much in it. About a third of a BMW!

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
S10, R1250GS, KLX300
2024 Miles
STOC #
I am a long time multiple KLR owner....(9 of them since 1991/just purchased this new 2015).

When complete, it will be set up as follows:

SW Motech side racks with Givi E36bags side and top
Symtec heated grip warmers with ProGrip 714 handgripes
SW Motech center stand
Moose skid plate
Happy Trail crash bars/highway bars
Touratech windshield extender
12v powerport
Deka AGM battery
Eagle Mike/torsion spring/doohickey upgrade
Corbin flat seat
Caterpillar o'ring cruise control
Vista cruise throttle lock
Rapid Transit "Bradley" tank bag
Garmin Oregon GPS with RAM mount
16T CS sprocket
Wiring rub spots insulated/isolated
Replaced the 2015 mirrors with the ones from my 2010
Gerbings 12v wire lead.
Traded the stainless exhaust shield on my 2010 for the painted 2015 guard
Rear master cylinder guard

Bike
2013 650 vSTrom
STOC #
I'd like to see the total amount spent on farkles for these KLRs. I'm not damning the KLR and think it fills an important role for the two crowd. But, Dang, it sure looks like a lot of money. YMMV
No kidding, but when you spend $600.00 for a "Honda" top box alone, it's all relevant [emoji6]

Bike
S10, R1250GS, KLX300
2024 Miles
STOC #
"Re: Show us your KLR - for Smash

I'd like to see the total amount spent on farkles for these KLRs. I'm not damning the KLR and think it fills an important role for the two wheel crowd. But, Dang, it sure looks like a lot of money. YMMV "

SW Motech side racks with Givi E36 bags side and top $550.00/used on my last three KLRs
Symtec heated grip warmers with ProGrip 714 handgripes $45.00
SW Motech center stand $100.00 used on the last three KLRs
Moose skid plate $40.00 used on least the last 5-6 KLRs
Happy Trail crash bars/highway bars $200.00 used/like new from the ADVrider.com forum
Touratech windshield extender $100.00 from my long departed 2007 BMW R1200GSA
12v powerport $12.00
Deka AGM battery $65.00
Eagle Mike/torsion spring/doohickey upgrade $60.00
Corbin flat seat $215.00 five KLRs ago
Caterpillar o'ring cruise control $3.00
Vista cruise throttle lock $25.00
Rapid Transit "Bradley" tank bag $20.00 closeout special
Garmin Oregon GPS with RAM mount $200.00
16T CS sprocket $25.00
Wiring rub spots insulated/isolated free labor on my part
Replaced the 2015 mirrors with the ones from my 2010 free
Gerbings 12v wire lead. $8.00
Traded the stainless exhaust shield on my 2010 for the painted 2015 guard free
Rear master cylinder guard $15.00 many KLRs ago

So, about $425.00 in actual new money for items purchased specifically for this KLR.......
the expensive stuff has been used on several prior owned KLRs.

OP
OP
bdalameda

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Same thing here. I have about 1200.00 in farkles spent over a couple of years. Some of this I bought anyway like the GPS and tankbag. So 3700 dollars for he bike plus 1200 in stuff. For 4900.00 on a bike that had 1450 miles on it. I can't think of any bike for this amount that can bring this much enjoyment. My ST1100 come close but won't go where this one will. I could have even done it with less stuff and still have fun.

Dan

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I'd like to see the total amount spent on farkles for these KLRs. I'm not damning the KLR and think it fills an important role for the two wheel crowd. But, Dang, it sure looks like a lot of money. YMMV
Yeah, lol... no one ever spends more money on an ST after purchase. HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're funny Jim!

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
This is awesome and super helpful. At the moment the only farkles I have planned are the doo, whatever that deep hole spacer thingy is, SS brake lines, fuse box and wiring for my GPS and satellite radio, wiring for my heated gear and an upgraded horn. Oh and I've got some better bulbs on hand already for the headlight as its the same as my Ninja. I need a new tank bag as my current one will go with the Ninja, will go with Wolfman as I'm a strong believer in that company. Just don't know which one yet.

I'm really hoping the current owner finds his old center stand. I miss having one, but have learned to live without.

Other than that, I really just need to ride the bike and see what speaks to me. :) Thankfully she's already insanely well outfitted.
You might want to think about a stator upgrade if you are going to run any heated gear for any length of time. Or at least a volt meter on the KLR. DAMHIK. Not sure about the new style KLR but on the old style, the after market center stand I had on mine, was more trouble than it was worth. Very hard to get it up on the stand. A good PVC prop bar work just as well for changing tire and lubing chain.

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Smash may want to think twice about making any jetting changes to his KLR as in the first post. Keep in mind that Salinas, California is 52' elevation and Smash lives in the mile-high city. I have no idea if the same consideration might apply to advancing the exhaust cam timing. I personally know zero about KLRs, but I would think the Kawasaki engineers would have that optimized for engine performance, longevity, reliability, etc.
Just sayin' ... it may be a good idea, maybe not.

OP
OP
bdalameda

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
The stock KLR jetting is very lean on the low and midrange and rich at the very top end. If you decide to rejet the .22 cent mod works well or the KLX needle exchange also recommended. The JD jet kits have components for both low and high altitudes. The owner of JD jet kits test his kits up to over 13K feet and does a great job. He even cuts custom high and low altitude needles for the carbs to make sure the calibrations work well. Kawasaki has to jet the bikes to meet epa standards which don't always work well in the real world.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
From today's ride, a picture at the tree we keep here in Curry County for pictures and stuff. Most of what is on this 2009 KLR was there when I bought it. I added the solobox hardbags and a Seat Concepts seat. My second KLR and it runs great and uses no oil.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I spent a couple of years at Cannon AFB back in the '60s. Don't remember seeing that tree - maybe it wasn't around then.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
KLR.jpg

Here's mine, a 2011 model, purchased with 2,500 miles for $3k. Everything came with the bike except the used Pelican bags, cheap driving lights, Bad Boy horn and the Doohickey upgrade. I stole it.

Happy Trails crash bars, skid plate and hiway pegs
KAYO throttle lock
Barkbusters
PackRat rear rack
Sargent seat, swapped even for a Corbin
D606s F&R
Ammo can panniers (removed)

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
IMG_0245.jpgThis is my 2008 KLR. I just picked it up last year with +-2250 miles on the clock. It came with the KLR saddlebags, tank bag, handlebar bag, top case, and Happy Trails engine/cowl guards w/highway pegs. I've since done the Eagle Mike torsion spring doohickey, added a Thermo-Bob, 16 tooth counter-shaft sprocket, Moose Racing center stand, Ricochet skid plate, Tusk panniers and racks and a fresh set of Shinko 700's. I've also got a set of Tusk bar risers that I need to get installed. It's a great, inexpensive and simple bike, for exploring the thousands of miles of gravel roads here in Montana, and will still do 75 comfortably on the hi-way at 55-60 mpg when I need her to.

Top Bottom