Recognize this part?

I have finishing up a bunch of maintenance on my 1100, (refreshed fork oil, tighten coolant hoses under carbs, flush and pressure test cooling system, valve adjustment, rebuild clutch slave cylinder) I am getting bike back together and this piece is extra, found it on the floor under the bike. Anyone know what it is or ideas on its home? Bottom hooked end is covered in a rubber coating.

Bike
ST1100/ST1300
STOC #
That appears to be the metal tab that's attached to the grey plastic handlebar cover. It gets screwed to the lower front of the plastic cover. The hook gets secured to the little black metal bar on the upper triple clamp.

OOOppps... Martin and I posted at the same time. Never mind.... :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wow you guy's are good :bow1: I hadn't put the handle bar cover on yet, so I don't even have to take anything apart to install it :D. Now on to see if I got the clutch completely bleed.

Thanks Guy's

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Ha ha, I'm late to the party. I'd had my ST1100 for 3 years (2nd owner) before I realized I was missing that part. That was about the same time I found out there is a grommet around the lock for the saddle. The PO was a real duffuss. Had broken two of the Side Cover bayonets too.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
That was about the same time I found out there is a grommet around the lock for the saddle.
LOL!!! :lol:
You were pretty green back then, weren't you? ;-)
The PO was a real duffuss. Had broken two of the Side Cover bayonets too.
Ah, in many cases it ain't the POs, it are the grease-monkeys and gorilla-mechs at licensed workshops who screw-up big time... literally...

Just a week ago I swapped the Garmin 550 hardware for a 590ML cradle and wiring on a friend's "always workshop serviced" '96 ABS-II/CBS...
+50% of the bolts were either missing, switched into wrong places or replaced with shiny-galvanized M5 Allen-heads they must have had a significant surplus off...
Drove me nuts as I constantly had the wrong tools in my hand... :mad:

What's so hard on remembering what bolt I've removed where? Especially on an ST1100...

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
LOL!!! :lol:
You were pretty green back then, weren't you? ;-)
I was, Martin. 21 years ago all I had was the ST1100 Newsletter. This was pre-Internet for me. I never saw another ST1100 until ~98 when I finally got 'online' and later joined the ST1100 LiSTserv. [and became friends with a certain Austrian LiSTer :)] Remember, no online parts fiches in those days either. A huge amount of LiST traffic was devoted to sharing/collecting known part numbers. We've sure got it good these days!

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Your '99 has a different handlebar vanity cover, Johnny.
Despite the different cover designs, the concept with that tap is present on all years:
pre '95 (loc 15)
http://www.bike-parts-honda.com/pieces-honda-detail-3805-13MT3L41-ST1100L-1990-F__0700-PAN+EUROPEAN+ST+1100.html
post '96 (also loc 15)
http://www.bike-parts-honda.com/pieces-honda-detail-3791-13MAJX41-ST1100AY-2000-F__0700-PAN+EUROPEAN+ST+1100+ABS.html

Its a part that commonly gets forgotten while working, but is intended to keep the forward part from popping over the barrel of the ignition-lock...

I never saw another ST1100 until ~98 when I finally got 'online' and later joined the ST1100 LiSTserv.
Ask me... it took the US based, plain text(!) STOC email-list to find the firST other AuSTrian ST-rider over here... :D
My first Pan-European Gathering was the Honda Pan-Rally in Kitzbuhl '95... but +200 of those rigs on a spot/ride are an impressive sight...

Remember, no online parts fiches in those days either. A huge amount of LiST traffic was devoted to sharing/collecting known part numbers.
I was fortunate nicking a hard-copy ST1100 parts catalogue from my w/shop when they went routine on micro-fiche readers (with real, post card sized slides!)...

Yes, were some times on that mailing-list... wonder what happened to many names from back then...

Last edited:
Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Yes, were some times on that mailing-list... wonder what happened to many names from back then...
I know what happened to one Greg Norman of the ST1100 Newsletter. He buggered off into oblivion with my last $50 US money order for another years subscription, which failed to get published!:mad:

Top Bottom