What have you hit with your bike..??

Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
When I was 15, a Ford Pinto turned left, (not from the turn lane, but the inside straight lane) into the path of my CL-100 Honda going about45 mph, I hit him at about a 45° angle right in the left headlight, I flew up and over and slid up under a big truck sitting at the light. The first thing I thought was "I sure hope he saw me" the driver was the first to me. Totalled my Honda, but ripped the front end off the Pinto. My Bell helmet saved my life, landed on my head and right arm, cracked my wrist and destroyed my helmet. Won't even ride around a parking lot without a helmet

Bike
CBR500R
Three deer two dogs and many little birds. Only one of the deer knocked me down and none of the dogs, killed them all. Hopefully that is enough for a lifetime.
The little birds are almost all in the central Washington state area they seem to make a effort to fly in front of you.

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
Three deer two dogs and many little birds. Only one of the deer knocked me down and none of the dogs, killed them all. Hopefully that is enough for a lifetime.
The little birds are almost all in the central Washington state area they seem to make a effort to fly in front of you.
Man I thought it was something personal when I road out that way. Birds do make an effort to beat you across the road. Nailed a few myself.

Bike
2015 K1600 GTL E
2024 Miles
No wildlife. Did pick up one those large ratcheting straps that you see on some semi’s. Rode right over it on the freeway. It got hooked on my center stand. Didn’t notice it until I pulled into local gas station. It clipped the gas pump island and gave a little tug. After getting off the bike, noticed what it was. It occurred to me how blessed I was. That could of been quite the ordeal if it wrapped around one my wheels. Guess God wasn’t done with me here yet.

Tedbrogden

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Versys 1000LT
2024 Miles
Last week, I clipped a coyote who took that moment to blast across the road. Still don't know how I missed t-boning it. Must have had another gear....

tnbill

Site Supporter
Bike
91 st1100
Half of a box spring for a king bed at almost 70 MPH on my norton. I did not go down and the driver stoped to make sure i was ok. He got a ticket and I finished my ride. It did destroy the headlight assembly along with the speedo, tack and there mounting cups.

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Hard to believe . . . I missed this thread all these years! Tales of survival . . . what a great read!

- B-52 sized buzzard, last to leave a middle of the road feast, barely got off the ground before we met. Stuffed to capacity. Broke the windshield metal mounts and gore and strips of meat everywhere!
- Black bear on the BRP, taller on all fours than my headlights. Killed my 2007 ST and my Roadcrafter suit and broke my ankle. Have a baggy with bear hair that embedded in the tire rim.
- guard rail in AR after gravel in road. Dislocated hip . . . repaired. Bike repaired with parts, time and effort (thank you Padden), 2nd Roadcrafter suit totaled.
- Small deer in Maine. Busted lights and plastic on left side . . . duct taped together and rallied on. No sign of the deer.
- Very large deer in Mass. 10 hours after the one in Maine. Cut it in half on the interstate. Killed the 2008 ST. Stayed upright, lots of gore, and both rider sides black and blue from deer halves striking as they bounced off.
- Lots of small birds, seemed like a 100 or so flushed outta the grass on a NM early morning, zig zagging down the road to fake me out . . . didn't.
- Several rabbits on a lonely Texas road just after dusk. Came over a rise and saw what looked like hundreds of little lights on and along the road. Rabbit eye reflections. Is there such a thing as a herd of rabbits?
- Squirrels, snake and a possum.

( Whispering . . . nothing new since I switched bike brands from Honda to Yamaha. So far Mother Nature hasn't re-identified me yet.)
Shuey

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
My buddy ran over the hind end of a ground hog.It was pulling itself across the road on it’s front paws. l swerved a bit to run over it’s head to put it out of it’s misery.Another reason to ride in staggered formation.All in front of several Amish women pedestrians.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Hard to believe . . . I missed this thread all these years! Tales of survival . . . what a great read!

- B-52 sized buzzard, last to leave a middle of the road feast, barely got off the ground before we met. Stuffed to capacity. Broke the windshield metal mounts and gore and strips of meat everywhere!
- Black bear on the BRP, taller on all fours than my headlights. Killed my 2007 ST and my Roadcrafter suit and broke my ankle. Have a baggy with bear hair that embedded in the tire rim.
- guard rail in AR after gravel in road. Dislocated hip . . . repaired. Bike repaired with parts, time and effort (thank you Padden), 2nd Roadcrafter suit totaled.
- Small deer in Maine. Busted lights and plastic on left side . . . duct taped together and rallied on. No sign of the deer.
- Very large deer in Mass. 10 hours after the one in Maine. Cut it in half on the interstate. Killed the 2008 ST. Stayed upright, lots of gore, and both rider sides black and blue from deer halves striking as they bounced off.
- Lots of small birds, seemed like a 100 or so flushed outta the grass on a NM early morning, zig zagging down the road to fake me out . . . didn't.
- Several rabbits on a lonely Texas road just after dusk. Came over a rise and saw what looked like hundreds of little lights on and along the road. Rabbit eye reflections. Is there such a thing as a herd of rabbits?

( Whispering . . . nothing new since I switched bike brands from Honda to Yamaha. So far Mother Nature hasn't re-identified me yet.)
Shuey
phew... sounds like you're on a war-path with nature there... ;)

I keep fighting the cagers, had another encounter with a 4-wheeler Sept 2021...
unclear who hit who there... the whole thing went slow, walking speed, like a parking lot tip-over...
Looked worse as it actually was, pannier hanger rail broken, license holder, cable of IceLink iPod-interface torn...

IMG_20210904_124228.jpg

Tedbrogden

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Versys 1000LT
2024 Miles

Shuey
You need the witness protection plan.

Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
Not so much what I hit, but what hit me. Riding on 183 in Irving Texas, I'm going east, a gravel hauler going west, has a rock about the size of a golf ball fall off, it bounces up and over the center median, I see it, it's heading straight at my face, I duck, and it hits me about an 1½ above my helmet visor. Hits me so hard, I see stars, and almost fall, somehow I managed to get stopped on the shoulder of the road, get off and just about pass out. I sat on the ground next to my Honda, and a few minutes later an Irving police car stopped to check on me. He let me set in his car for about a ½ hour. There was a hole in my Bell helmet the size of a nickel
Twice in my life a Bell helmet saved it
I was going around 70, and imagine the truck going as fast, rock had to be going over 100 compared to me. I see people ride without helmets and think, I would have been dead if not for my Bell

Da Bear

Ask me about my cat...
Bike
'03 ST1300
Biggest damned Dragonfly I have ever seen. Visor up, sunglasses on (Prescription) coming over the pass on Highway 26 just before Government Camp on Mount Hood. Got me right between the eyes. It felt like I'd hit a bird. Two black eyes, and a ruined pair of glasses. I saw the damned thing right before it struck me (or I struck it, depending on your perspective...) Spattered bug guts all over my face.
Got stung by a bee once while riding too. I carry an Epi-Pen just for those occasions. One in my messenger bag and one in the locking fairing pocket. I am never without one.
Oh yeah...
On my first 400 Four, I killed a guy on a 750 Four.
He ran a red, I hit him broadside. We both flew off our bikes, he hit a light pole with his unhelmeted head, I landed on a curb and broke my L1-L2 vertebrae. I ordered my second 400F from a hospital bed while in traction...
The other guy was so high his blood had street value... Probably never felt the impacts.

Bike
Honda ST1300 Pan-Eur
I once had a wasp appear crawling across the visor inside my full face helmet when I was riding. I opened the visor but I can tell you this, the ten seconds it took me to stop and get the helmet off were the longest ten seconds of my life! I didn't get stung. How it got in there I do not know. Not something I want to experience again.

Bike
91-ST1100 & PC800
STOC #
This is a side thread of the bird strike...

Tell us what you have hit with any bike you have been on

I'll STart

Cat in 1980 on a CB900C. Front tire across cat mid section at 35 mph. Cat ran and I was fine.

Grouse 2009 V65 Sabre. Flew from ditch and caught rear tire. Following biker was sprayed with feathers.

That's all I hope ....

T

I'll STart

Cat in 1980 on a CB900C. Front tire across cat mid section at 35 mph. Cat ran and I was fine.

Grouse 2009 V65 Sabre. Flew from ditch and caught rear tire. Following biker was sprayed with feathers.

That's all I hope ....

T

I'll STart

That's all I hope ....

T
791FE815-1E65-4369-97FE-ABD87F8B815F_1_105_c.jpeg

Bike
91-ST1100 & PC800
STOC #
Does this count ???? I did not do this but my youngest son did.... he had never ridden a Can Am Spyder
he jumped on and grabbed a hand full of throttle and away he went, right through the fire doors of my shop.
strangely enough he was not injured and the Spyder only had vary minor damage but the shop cost $22K to put back in order
plus the loss of business for about a week doing custom motorcycle seats..... That's what I do.

Top Bottom