What have you hit with your bike..??

Da Bear

Ask me about my cat...
Bike
'03 ST1300
Not so much what I hit, but what hit me. Riding on 183 in Irving Texas, I'm going east, a gravel hauler going west, has a rock about the size of a golf ball fall off, it bounces up and over the center median, I see it, it's heading straight at my face, I duck, and it hits me about an 1½ above my helmet visor. Hits me so hard, I see stars, and almost fall, somehow I managed to get stopped on the shoulder of the road, get off and just about pass out. I sat on the ground next to my Honda, and a few minutes later an Irving police car stopped to check on me. He let me set in his car for about a ½ hour. There was a hole in my Bell helmet the size of a nickel
Twice in my life a Bell helmet saved it
I was going around 70, and imagine the truck going as fast, rock had to be going over 100 compared to me. I see people ride without helmets and think, I would have been dead if not for my Bell
Roy Richter was a personal friend of my father's; so I knew him when I was a kid. Mom and dad were a sports car rally champion team and they knew him from the circuit I guess. Hell of a guy. I rode my bike down to see Dad once and Roy saw me wearing a cheap Grand Auto helmet... A few weeks later a full Bell kit arrived via UPS. I had a Bell Arrow that I dearly loved back in '12, but an OTJ accident put an end to riding for awhile, and they don't make that helmet now. Never had to buy Cragar rims either...
I've hit birds. (A black bird, a crow, and a duck) had a HUGE dragonfly hit me right between the eyes coming over Mount Hood one evening, got two black eyes, and an infection in one eye. Hit by a Bee, started going into shock and stabbed myself with an epi-pen. Sat there in the shade for a few hours at the rest stop in Williams on I-5 north letting my pulse rate get back to normal... CHP gave me a ticket for parking wrong...
Oh, yeah, and a crap load of beer cans and a few fish when a boat being towed in the opposite direction flipped over as I was going west on 99W here in Oregon. That one took out my left side turn signal on my Vetter Quicksilver fairing, and lastly, a damned full sized Stihl chain saw fell from a landscape truck and I hit it (Does that count?)

Knock on Wood not much lately, in Summer of 85 skidded into the bumper of a ford pickup truck. Crash bar took must of the impact , rode away with bruised right ankle. Bent the front wheel and forks , rode it home, not smart thinking about it now. Ford truck no damage ,them were real bumpers in them days. Countless Bumble bees, Fly's and unknown insects, one bumble bee hit the top of my helmet , put my neck out as I was doing over180kms . Scarest was an old fashion hub cap came off a car coming from the opposite direction, what to do, Luckly a few feet before impact it made a turn to my right into the ditch. Well time to get out on the bike , See you out there!

I can't think of me hitting anything, though I've had random bugs smack into me. Back in my motocross days (70's), I probably hit a berm or two :thumb:

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
A bike ahead of me hit a ground hog,paralyzingly its’ rear legs.It still tried to go across road on front legs.I ran over its’ head to put it out of misery. A group of nuns were walking on the side of road just a bit later.They waved; but l don’t think they saw incident.

Top Bottom