On my ST1100 years and years ago
1. Road Runner at back gate of Fort Huachuca
2. 55gal Galvanized garbage can feel off back of Truck on I10 in Phoenix
3. Big gulp cup filled with soda and ice tossed from car window in Houston

On the new ST1300 nothing yet but only have 9K miles

Bike
'06 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Not sure if this counts, but one bird flew up from the side of the road, cleared my ST1300's windshield and bounced off the top of my helmet. No damage to the ST or me. Don't know about the bird, but it hit hard enough that I expected to find some gore on my helmet, etc., but there was none. Well, okay, I did total my first ST1300 when I low-sided it and slid into the back of mower trailer. Did $150 damage to the trailer (at least that's what the insurance company paid them) and totaled one two months old '06 ST1300 with just over 2K miles on it. I walked away without serious injury (ATGATT of course).
Oh, yeah, I almost forgot--a few years ago I was crossing the Ohio River between Henderson, KY and Evansville, IN; they had the northbound bridge closed for maintenance so two-way traffic on the southbound bridge. I was heading north and exactly right in the middle of the bridge a car coming south hit one of the orange divider cone/cylinders and knocked it right in front of me. I ran over it unavoidably and a 3" x 5/16" roll pin went up through my back tire. The back was jumping up a down a couple of times, then the pin went on through my rim. I managed to make it on across the bridge without any trouble (going quite slowly) and luckily there was a Honda dealer 5 miles or so away in Evansville (and they were actually pretty familiar with ST1300s) that my ST got hauled to. They jumped right on the fix, but it took a couple of days or so to get all the parts and tires (I replaced both), etc. That was one expensive fix, but luckily I didn't end up a couple of hundred feet below in the Ohio River :)

Bill F
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
ST1100
Small harmless bird hit the screen on my Honda NS125F, it spun into the air and landed in the lap of a tailgating fool in a open top sportscar. Laugh I nearly fell off.

OP
OP
ToddC

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
That a good one Gearjammer...... couldn't have planned that one any better. '-)

T

Onicabbit

Tailess Cabbit!
Site Supporter
Bike
18 Goldwing Tour
STOC #
hmmm.. in order of incident.
shiny guard rail.
1 fully rolled up carpet roll (landed pretty hard on the black top, didn't fall off the bike thankfully due to pucker factor.)
shiny 12 inch diameter 90 degree elbow (totaled the 07)
strip of tire from a truck that blew a tire and shredded apart (hit me in the leg, gas tank and belly)
not supper shiny semi truck wheel lugnut (wedged deep inside the engine, right side; still inside a certain someone's "Tip Jar" i think...)

Styles

2000 Non-ABS
Bike
'00 ST1100
STOC #
A street deer, Sioux City, IA, on my 68th B-day. Its D-day, happily, wasn't mine.

Styles

Last edited:

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Small fawn. Actually, it ran right into my wife riding pillion... bounced off her left leg and ran back into the woods. Bruised her leg. The bike ('84 Ninja 900) twitched a little but nothing serious... just kept going.

OP
OP
ToddC

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Gotta love those tough wives.....

I hit a LOTTA bugs today......went on a 126 mile ride to eat at Chaps near Spokane.
Chaps was on Diners, Drive inns and Dives on TV. Good food, great service, could be a great ride to eat for WeSToc. Great bakery and coffee,

T

Bike
2010 ST1300
Almost hit a ratcheting chain tensioner from a semi yesterday on the way home. Just missed it. Didn't like the thoughts afterwards of what might of happened.

Bike
92 ST1100
Hit the pavement some 5yrs. ago@ 50mph avoiding a T-bone on the STeed.....does that count?:) Have hit small critters and such, which CAN throw one off course a bit.

Bike
Suzuki Gladius
herd (flock) of Canadians
Haaa! I love it! Or would that be a parliament of Canadians? :D

I got a double-whammy a few CT-STOCs ago. Since Connecticut is a good 8 hours' ride from Montreal, I slabbed a lot of it (well most of it) because I just needed to get there. As I was making my way down I-91 at around 70 mph, a bird (I believe it was a small one, thankfully) decided it would be fun to fly into the side of my helmet. BAM! Felt like I'd been hit with a baseball bat and threw me for a loop for a second or two. No harm done except for a significantly accelerated heart rate for a bit.
Coming back is when the real fun occurred, this time going north on I-91. Two critters had been hit and mashed beyond recognition and their remains scattered across ALL lanes. Said critters were large enough (like...fox-size) to make one helluva mess...and it was fresh. And gooey. No way to avoid it. The last thought I remember having before gritting my teeth and riding through it was "thank God my visor is down!" That thought turned out to be warranted. **SPLAT** does not begin to describe. It was carnage. CARNAGE I tell you! I was covered in critter entrails, from helmet to jacket to overpants to boots to windshield to shifter. The only experience I have ever had that was more disgusting was being offered a sheep's eyeball to eat in a Bedouin compound in Syria (and THAT is another story).
I was only about 15 minutes from the Canadian border and when I pulled up and gave the Customs guy my passport, he took one look at me and said "Jeez, what the he** did YOU hit?" I related the story. There was a pause. He made that face you make when you think you're going to be sick and said "Eeeewwwww!!" My reply: "You have NO idea."

Patty

Bike
Suzuki Gladius
Was it at CT-STOC? I may well have been. I don't remember a beheaded squirrel (and I think I WOULD remember a beheaded squirrel) but I might have been back in the pack?

STrangr

Mike O.
Bike
2007 St-1300 Abs
STOC #
Hit a 4 door mercury coming down the opposite direction with my cbr600f4i. Car lost the driver side mirror. Bike lost the stator cover, flywheel, stator, frame slider, rear set, shifter, and cracked the fairing in half. Driver... Well he lost 3 toes.
They were later found in the car's rim. It still hurts when it rains :-[ nothing but bugs on the st1300 but it only has 10k miles on it.

JPKalishek

Armadillo Kicker
Bike
2 '91 ST 1100
except for the squirrel I centerpunched and clipping the tail from a long tailed swallow, the critters I have hit were on my body more than the bike.
I had a cat run into me and I got it with my foot. Knocked it goofy for a bit but I got it off the road and saw it in the yard some weeks later, so it survived.
I got a finch to the shoulder at 75 mph ... it left a blood spot on my jacket. A little bird has a pretty good bit of clout at that speed.
And that Armadillo I got on the foot ... cursed the rest of the way home after that.
Then when I was in high school I hit a Chevy Caprice right between the rear door and the wheel arch ... the handle bars broke my leg as I traveled over the trunk ... I disrecommend doing this

Last edited:
Top Bottom