RBIS-Triple Ball Ramount.....on Dashboard

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I put the RBIS three-spot mount on in January, thinking to mount phone, GPS (in AquaBox), and sometimes the GoPro. With all three spots in use it's pretty crowded if all you have are the standard-length mounting arms. You may want at least one long arm, to use in the center spot.

Depending on what you put where, and how, you may find minor clearance issues with the windshield in the full down position, and partial line-of-sight obstructions to the instrument panel. I'm still experimenting to figure things out, but the GPS has kinda removed itself from contention, for the time being at least, for technical reasons unrelated to this topic and the GoPro doesn't go on most of my rides. The phone mount (the spring-loaded "X" type) has become a permanent addition, using the right hand position.

From a mechanical standpoint, the mount is solid and stable. I do find that it's a little easier than I'd like to loosen the mounting balls; next time I'm under the dash for something I'll tighten them up firmly after adding a couple drops of blue LocTite to the threads. Mounting the thing was simple and straightforward.

Overall, I'm quite happy with it.

Bike
ST1300
Or your could buy a strip of aluminium and make your own. Doesn't take long. For me what took the longest was painting it, etching primer first, then black top coat.

Bike
2006 ST1300
i agree with PieterV...i made mine from aluminum....took about an hour. Painting DID take longest.

Bike
2003 ST1300
I installed a 3 ball RBIS system on the bike last week. I am no bike mechanic. It took me a little longer then I would expect to do the job, but once I figured out that I had to forcefully remove these fancy aerodynamic rubber bits on the mirror area that the previous owner did, removing the top part of the dash was a breeze... installation straight forward, didn't have to remove the screen.

I really like the idea. I have the XGRIP mount set on the middle ball with the short arm for my phone, works great. The other 2 spots I'll use for GOPRO and something else when the time comes. My only complaint is that the dash itself is not completely solid so whenever the dash shakes a little it gets amplified by the thing mounted on it.. so use a short arm for anything. Overall I am happy with it and I think its a great addition to the bike.

I use my phone in the middle as a digital speedometer.

Bike
2003 ST1300
I've had that same mount for… A very long time and have yet to install it. I'll have to get to it soon.
If the delay was because it looks difficult to install, it's not! Just have to be careful with the little parts that hold the plastic together, the clips.. then reverse the order when you put it back together. It really wasn't that difficult at all. The hardest part for me was probably getting my fat hands inside the dash to put the little metal piece over the hole so that the screws can get in over the dash.

Top Bottom