Another Bad 1300 U-Joint

Bike
2006 ST
Here are a few pictures of my u-joint on my 06ST at 86,000 miles. While headed to WVSTOC last year I noticed a slight vibration in the foot pegs. As usual, I checked the tire pressures every morning before the days ride and hadn't noticed any significant pressure loss or gain. Anyway, from Louisiana to WV and back plus a side trip to Ohio, a buddy and I logged a bit over 3,000 miles. Just a few hundred miles from home I noticed the vibration was more pronounced. However, I made it home without issue and even logged another couple hundred miles around the local area before I started hearing and feeling a clunking noise coming from the lower end of the bike.

So after researching those vibration issues on this site I came to the conclusion it must be my u-joint. Then after even more research, I came to the conclusion that I could change the u-joint and save a little cash for my ride to RockStoc in late June.

Well, thus far I've removed the bad u-joint and have all the parts waiting in my garage so that I can finish what I've started. I did see some pictures where someone from this site actually removed the swing-arm to replace the joint. I instead elected to just pull it back far enough to removed the bad joint and hopefully, I'll not have too many issues re-installing the the new one.

By the way, I ordered the joint, rubber boot and seal from Cheap Cycle Parts. Total price to my door was $171.00. My local Honda dealer quoted $180.00 just for the joint. Total from Honda would have been $217.00. The joint from Cheap Cycle Parts looks just like the one that I removed. I'm not good enough to tell the difference.DSC00861.JPGDSC00863.JPGDSC00864.JPGDSC00866.JPGDSC00867.JPGIMG_0390.JPGIMG_0394.JPG

v8-7

Site Supporter
Keep us informed as you progress..

That seems like a lot of money for a u-joint?
I wonder if anyone has found a replacement from a car that works ?

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
... The joint from Cheap Cycle Parts looks just like the one that I removed. ...
But in better condition I hope! :eek:4:

I'll be tearing into one of my '04s soon. I'll be replacing all of the rear case seals, the swing arm and U joint. Then I get to attack the front and replace the seals in the waterpump.

OP
OP
Bike
2006 ST
I've got about 3.5hrs into the removal of the joint and I estimate another 4 or so taking my time and referring to the manual and this site for help.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Are the dents and hammer marks on the U joint flanges indicative of the spider's bearings having enough play for the flanges to strike each other? If so, the bearing lasted a long time beyond it's service life. It's tough.

I bought a used ST1300 drive train for about $220 off eBay several years ago. I got a U joint, drive shaft, final drive assembly, and complete rear wheel with the driven splined hub off a wrecked 2007. The wheel was pristine and still had an OEM Dunlop 220 tire with virtually no wear. I'm thinking it had a few thousand miles on it at the most. Of course, having a spare on the shelf means the OEM assembly will last forever.

Bike
2005 ST1300
Wow, that joint looks all beat to heck to me. Roller caps out of their seats, fractured caps, innards exposed. I think you're lucky for not getting stranded! You must be living right.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Wow, that joint looks all beat to heck to me. Roller caps out of their seats, fractured caps, innards exposed. I think you're lucky for not getting stranded! You must be living right.
From everyone that has posted about a bad U-joint they had plenty of warning with a vibration that will only get worse, so if you pay attention you will not get stuck out on the road.

Bike
2005 ST1300
I heard that - pay attention to the vibration. I think it's darned impressive that it survives so long after starting to shake. I'd expect it to have flailed itself to pieces already by the looks of it.

Top Bottom