Ride review comming

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
I am leaving SWLA for the valley in the clouds. I am leaving Wed. morning with my new Race Tech install, headed for Birmingham. Thur. Morning I meet with friends and head for N.GA, Tenn., and N.C. to ride the curvies, and stay at High Valley Resort in Suches,GA. I am already very happy with the very noticeable improvement from changing fork springs and Bel Ray 10Wt. fork oil. Upon my return I will write a little follow up review. Super stoked about the ride!
:tb1:

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Have a good and safe trip. Look forward to pics and stories!

OP
OP
mean13
Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Spring 2015  Riders Hill.JPGWell here we go! Left SWLA Wed. 4/29 for Birmingham. Casual Interstate ride. The difference from the mods is evident even here. The bike doesn't want to follow little grooves in the surface. Bumps and holes don't transmit into the bars as much, and the bike just feels overall more stable and firmly planted. Thursday I met up with a friend of mine and 5 other usual suspects to head for the hills.
Within an hour we were on back roads, no surprise with this bunch, which includes...a Tiger 800, FZ6, FJ1300, 600 ninja, Bandit, and a Kawi 600 and me with Big Red2. After riding all day, I can say the difference is amazing. After not really riding curves for about 6 mos., I starting riding like I was on a dirt bike. Going in too fast, downshifting and braking hard and late. Then getting back on the gas as soon as the exit was spotted. While it felt very fast, I was having to catch up on the short straights, which put my entry speed too fast. By the end of the day my rear tire was toast. I had hanging chads all around the tire. Tire had around 4k miles and looked to have way more than 50% life when I started. Pressures were set at 41psi. We stayed at Dillard Chalets. The next morning the group headed off to the Blue ridge parkway, while I headed for Riders Hill in Dalonega. They didn't have the Michelins that I wanted, so we got on the phone and couldn't find one within 4 hours of there. Cords were showing so that wasn't an option. They did have a Conti trail attack my size and I was 900 miles from home with no other options, so I had it mounted. The mechanic at Riders Hill,William, was very meticulous using a torque wrench on the build. He put little sharpie marks on every thing he took off and realigned. Friday was shot. so I did some shopping and bought breakfast stuff for the morning. Saturday we were off again. This time I worked on being smooth and riding a gear or 2 higher. Using brakes instead or engine braking, and being smooth, really helped me ride a lot faster without near the abuse on tires. The conti stuck like like glue which was nice after sliding the rear going in and drifting on the exit with the dying of the other tire. I just don't know how this tire will act in the wet. Then up and on the road home for 14 hrs Sunday. The Race tech springs and Bel Ray fork oil was a great decision. I was severly over loaded on the first day, and after leaving the load at the camp, this bike was on a rail. I could never ride at that speed and precision before the mod. Thanks for all the wisdom from this site to make the install as painless as possible.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mean13
Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Just so we know, what did you do?

New front springs, what weight and type?
rear spring or shock what spring or type?
1.0 kg Race Tech fork springs and 10 wt. Bel Ray fork oil, and a MCL fork brace. I am a svelt 240 lbs. and at times in the mountains, I've been known to get aggressive. With the stock springs when entering curves at speed, I would have to ease on the brake and throttle to get the bike to settle down onto the working part of the suspension. At times the front would bottom the springs and the front tire chattered in heavy cornering. After I added the MCL fork brace the chattering stopped, but the tire would actually break loose and slide. With the addition of the RT springs I am in the working part of the spring right away. Stock set up, sag was 58mm. After mod, sag34mm. I did a lot of research and found a write up with all the specs. That poster(Reginald) had to add spacers 3 times. So I took his final measurements and adjusted them to fit my application. I set the oil level as per Haynes manual. Front end never waivered or did anything but hold and turn. I love it! Makes me look like a real rider.LOL

Last edited:
OP
OP
mean13
Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Sorry to hear about the tire. Hope you get good life out of the Contis.
I just bought the rear Conti. The front wasn't as bad. I'll be ordering a new tire this week for the front. Not the set I wanted, but I can't afford to take off a new tire just because. If I do end up in a wet situation and the trail attack is not as good I'll go ahead and order another Michelin. The conti was almost $100 more than a PR3.

OP
OP
mean13
Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
I didn't do anything to the rear, I just tightened up a little on the preload until it felt good on the road. We have a road that has a long series of roller bumps. I rode this and adjusted until the front and rear seemed to be compressing the same. I'll try to get in the shop and check the rear sag, maybe tomorrow.

Top Bottom