Changing Brake Pad Without Removing Calipers??? Huh???

Bike
2004 ST 1300
I have my new GenUwine brake pads in hand, but after careful measurements, have determined there is enough life in the set for one more major adventure in a few weeks.

Big HOWEVER for when I do change the pads.

Reading the Honda Service Manual, there seems to be a shortcut changing the pads. Basically, pull the pin, push the pistons all the way in, slip each pad out, slip the new pads in, replace pin, top off brake fluid.

Is it really that easy? I feel more comfortable pulling the calipers off the rotors and cleaning.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
You probably won't have to top off the fluid but you could check the level AFTER you install the new pads.

It is that simple for a quick change but just try to clean the pistons some if you can before pushing them in a little.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
If your pistons are real dirty and you just push them in they could be too tight to return properly when you release the brake. It really doesn't take long to unbolt them and clean them up. You don't have to disconnected them so no bleeding is required.
I learned the hard way about what happens when they are pushed back in when dirty. Ended up eating the rear didk.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
OK, I have to ask a (hopefully not stupid) question:
-I have to change the back brakes on my 94 ST, and I have already taken the old pads out for inspection (which is very easy and requires the pin to be removed). In order to remove the caliper, is it necessary to remove the rear axle and take the caliper away along with the 14 mm bolt, or can I just remove the 14 mm bolt and the pin the caliper slides on, leaving the bracket in place? I want to remove the caliper so I can clean the pistons before depressing them back into the caliper.

Thanks for any information.

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
+1 Remove the calipers and clean the pistons. +1 lube the pin and retaining clip with break grease, a light smear will do.

OP
OP
SainT 1300
Bike
2004 ST 1300
Guess changing brake pads can be done while "on the bike".

Thanks for good advice. I will pull the calipers so things can be cleaned and lubed properly.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Can this be done while riding ;)
Yes. When you do this please take pictures LOL.

A loop of a flat shoe lace dipped in brake fluid helps with cleaning all around the pistons.
It helps to extend them a squeak and clean all the crud off, then push them in to make room for the new pads.
Check the reservoir level when you drive the clean pistons in.

Make sure the H shaped spring finger in the front of the caliper and the anti rattle spring thingy at the stop of the caliper are seated when installing the new pads.

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
And elbow grease. :thumbup

(I meant without removing the calipers)
Simply pull the pads then use a strip of cloth dipped in brake fluid and clean the pistons like flossing teeth. I've done that many times and it works great for cleaning them when you are not doing a tire change. After that, you can push them in a little in preparation for the new pads. Obviously, DO NOT use brake cleaner as it was never designed for this purpose and will mess up the seals, only brake fluid.

Bike
2012 ST1300A
Simply pull the pads then use a strip of cloth dipped in brake fluid and clean the pistons like flossing teeth. I've done that many times and it works great for cleaning them when you are not doing a tire change. After that, you can push them in a little in preparation for the new pads. Obviously, DO NOT use brake cleaner as it was never designed for this purpose and will mess up the seals, only brake fluid.
Good to know- thanks.

Bike
2005 ST1300
You guys motivated me. This sounds like a job I can handle.

The last set of brakes I did were drum brakes....all the way around a 67 Mustang in high school. uh oh ...gave away my age.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom