Felt scared then embarrassed for a Harley Davidson rider

RCS

Returning from my usual 1,200 mile ride from CT to OH on I-80 in New Jersey. Pass a Harley Davidson rider on a fairly large motorcycle with a Black Leather Jacket that had some kind of motorcycle club sewn on the back.

For whatever reason he decided he needed to be in front of me. Okay. So a few miles down the road he passes me fast. As he pulled back into the lane in front of me his back tire was hunting like it was not getting traction on the dry, perfectly level pavement. Thought for a moment that he was going to lose it. At first I felt scared for him but then embarrassed for him.

So, started thinking what could cause that. His back tire was clearly not as wide as my stock ST1300 tire. Maybe the tire was too small for the motorcycle size, weight, speed. I do not know. Does Harley Davidson still have a superbike road race program? If not (according to their website it ended in 2001), they should because that fairly large motorcycle was not set up for highway riding.

Last edited:

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Hopefully the rider will take some time to check out what was going on with his bike. Low tire, bad bearings and suspension settings could have contributed to that issue.

I am amazed at how many times this "can't let that other bike beat me" thing has happened to me. Once, on our way to the Blue Ridge Gathering, Annette and I are cruizin down US23 in Kentucky. 2 up, pulling my one-wheeled trailer and maintaining about 70mph. Come up behind an old HD Sportster with one of the leather saddle bags looking like its about to fall off. As we pass the guy (we were going maybe 5mph faster) Annette points to his saddle bag, trying to get his attention to it. Guess he thought it was a gesture to race! So he speeds up, then I speed up, and back and forth it goes till we hit about 100. The Harley was working pretty hard to maintain that speed, sounded about tapped out! I finally just shrugged my shoulders, cranked up a bit more and pulled away from him. He turned off at the next opportunity.

And I will say that it's not always an HD thing. I've had crotch rockets, Gold Wings and a few cars do it, too! Most times I try to be a "good boy" and not get caught up in it, but sometimes the Hooligan in me comes out and has to play...

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
And I will say that it's not always an HD thing.

I guess not according to your second paragraph! :rofl1:

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
It's situations like this when I try to remind myself (usually successfully, sometimes not) of something I'm pretty sure I read on this forum...

"never miss an opportunity to let someone else get the speeding ticket"

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
Mad Max out there sometimes. Several times I've had vehicles try to prevent me from passing in these hills. Usually a pick up truck with < a full deck I assume.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
and a few cars do it, too!
Mostly Honda Civics with huge exhaust pipes seem to challenge me at stop lights. I learned quite a while ago it is best let them take off with all the noise they can make other wise this competition may last longer than the next traffic light.

Gerhard

Bike
ST1300
Yeah I'm way too old and sensible for all that racing away from lights stuff! I've got a Rocket 111 2.3 litre and there's not many vehicles that can get away from lights quicker but it only wastes good rubber!

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
I'm guilty! I play along.. always have and prob will never miss an opportunity... LOL.. I've had harleys, my sons have a few... I just can't help my self but to run them down when out in front of me.... ONly on my ST of course... I won't play in a congested area or unpredicted road..

Roll ON!

veefore

See you at my intervention!
Bike
15' BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Those things are hinged in the middle........perfectly normal :amflag:

Last edited:

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
I've noticed that the drivers of pickup trucks sporting Harley stickers tend to behave the same as Harley riders. The just can't stand to follow a rice rocket.
Good possibility.

I had a Mustang GT do that to me last Saturday. I was cruising about 75, he was probably doing about 70. I signaled and changed lanes to pass. As soon as I got beside him I heard him shift down and romp on the motor. I kind of looked at him and shook my head.....as I dropped two gears and buried it. He had a girl with him, too. I simply humiliated him. Oh well. Most times I just ignore them but I was on an extremely empty straight divided highway...

Bike
ST1100, 1998 non abs
Over here in the UK the standard of driving is bad in my experience, any big car ie BMW, Audi, Lexus etc....must stay in the fast lane doing warpspeed and god help anyone that gets in their way...............then the person in the middle lane doing 60mph because they are on face book or texting their mates about absolutly nothing!!.

People cut bike riders up for fun over here, Now the sunny day road racer bike boys dont help our cause due to the fact that they have to go from light to light on the back wheel, but they usually are only out till it rains again.

I try to be curtious to other road users but like all the speed demon rears it head from time to time, have to laugh at there faces when the Pan opens up and there left in the rear veiw mirror

ride safe boys!!

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Out with my wife the other day, we saw a guy in full piratewear pulling left out of a side street, toward us. He struggled to turn the bike and I could see he was trying to steer it like a sidecar outfit, without leaning. Somehow, with a wide arc that took him into the shoulder, he completed the turn. I hope he reached his destination.

Top Bottom