MAP Sensor

Bike
2007 ST1300 ABS
So my 2007 w/ 91.5K miles seems to be indicating a bad MAP sensor. It idles very roughly and the FI MIL flashes twice rather quickly then pauses before repeating. This started Monday morning as I prepared to ride to work. Since it was raining pretty hard, I decided to take the car. No desire to break down in the rain.

Here's what led up to the problem:

I fueled up Thursday or Friday on my way to work. A fuel tanker truck was at the mom-and-pop gas station, but I stopped there anyway. Not sure about the wive's tale about getting dirty gas when the truck is there. BTW, I've never changed the fuel filter.

Sunday afternoon, I decided to ride into PA for lunch. There are at least 3 Five Guys places closer, but what fun is that? I backed the bike out of the garage but kept it close to the door, near my air compressor. I wanted to check the oil level and tire pressures before leaving. I NEVER retract the side stand when pushing the bike around, but I must've that day. As I leaned the bike over and simultaneously began to dismount, I knew what was happening and just let it go down easily (first time - honest). Gotta love those plastic tipover wing covers. Already got a new one.

I put around 120 miles on the bike that day with no problems.

The first thing I checked Monday was my battery. It seems fine. Resting voltage of around 12.7V. Never drops below 10V when starting. Healthy charging levels when running, so the charging system is OK. This is the original battery, so I wouldn't have been surprised if it was bad. I ride in fairly cold weather and the bike has always started right up. Had some mornings in the teens (Fahrenheit) a few months ago and it handled that just fine.

So tonight, I pulled everything apart to check the 5-way hose connector to the MAP sensor. Clean as a whistle.

I think my next step is to buy a used MAP sensor. I'm not sure what else to try. I've searched thru the archives. Just sorta looking for confirmation.

OP
OP
SilberPfeil
Bike
2007 ST1300 ABS
Can you start the bike and check the vacuum to the sensor, maybe with a vacuum gauge?
It's a thought. I've got a mityvac bleeder kit. I'd have to compare the range of the gauge and the expected range of pressures. I believe the pressure to be measured is in the single digit psi range.

OP
OP
SilberPfeil
Bike
2007 ST1300 ABS
I just tried something else. I put 5V on the sensor and measured its output. At my current elevation of around 320 meters, I read an output of 2.835 volts. According to the diagram in the shop manual (p 5-81), that's definitely in the ballpark.

I also blew into the tube and watched the sensor output value increase noticeably. I'm starting to think the sensor is OK.

I think my next step is going to be taking my battery to a local battery shop (only sells batteries) for testing. Even though it appears fine, I'm wondering if something didn't break during the "tipover".

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Sunday afternoon, I decided to ride into PA for lunch. There are at least 3 Five Guys places closer, but what fun is that?
None, especially when you can go to Denny's in Clearfield instead of 5GBF. :hamburger

MAP sensors have been known to fail on this bike, so I think your next step is probably the right one. The good news is that the same sensor is used on a ton of bikes (CBs, CBRs, RVTs, VFRs, VTXes and more), so you should be able to scrape one up easily.

--Mark

OP
OP
SilberPfeil
Bike
2007 ST1300 ABS
So I took the battery to the local battery shop and their tester showed the battery as "weak", but not "bad". After 8 years of OEM service, I decided to buy a replacement. It's gonna go eventually, and I'd rather not deal with it while on the road.

I just installed it, and connected everything I thought would be important and started it. No flashing MIL light. My concern now is that something was cleared from memory when the battery was removed - and it'll just come back on later. I stopped and re-started it with still no light. It's actually starting as it should cold - revs right around 2k with nothing out of the ordinary.

Oh yeah, just for anyone who has this problem in the future, there was one more thing I checked yesterday. I put a voltmeter on the MAP sensor connector and verified that I was getting a solid 5V to power the sensor.

I'll start putting the bike back together and hopefully, I can get some time on the bike this weekend to verify it's working OK. Gonna keep the tank mostly empty for a while. I've got two 5 gallon gas containers in the garage, and they're both full now.

OP
OP
SilberPfeil
Bike
2007 ST1300 ABS
Just a final post on this thread, for future reference. After replacing the battery, I've not seen any more MIL codes or strange behavior. So it seems that having a weak battery can cause the MAP Sensor error to falsely appear.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
8 year old battery - nice! Congrats on that one and being smart enough to test it any longer LOL... glad to see it appears your issue is resolved.

Top Bottom