Question About New Spark Plugs From Mail Order

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I received new spark plugs I ordered in the mail today. They are NGK CR9EH-9. The Owner's Manual says to use CR8EH-9. Are the CR8EH-9's usable/good?

I thought I ordered the CR8EH-9's. So I went back and checked the web site and every time I entered the ST1300 I got the CR9EH-9 is the "Fit for your motorcycle". I went to a couple of other web sites and got the same thing. :shrug2:

Again can I use these CR9EH-9 spark plugs?

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
The manual for earlier bikes specifies CR7EH-9s for normal riding and CR8EH-9s for extended high-speed riding. I don't know if anything changed on later models.

The 7s run a bit hotter to help prevent fouling on shorter trips, where the colder 8s don't need to get as hot because running the engine for a long time keeps them clean. The 9s are probably too cold, so you'll want to exchange them for 7s or 8s depending on what kind of riding you do.

--Mark

OP
OP
Reginald

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
The 9s are probably too cold, so you'll want to exchange them for 7s or 8s depending on what kind of riding you do.
Thanks. I'm thinking so unless the change for all the sales recommendations can be explained. I'd rather not exchange if I don't have to.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
The information you need is in the back of your owner's manual.

The sales recommendation could simply be wrong, too.

--Mark

Top Bottom