Saddlebags are not waterproof?

Bike
2010 ST1300
I've always taken 'waterproof' with a grain of salt and packed my clothes in a plastic garbage bag on previous bikes. Seemed like cheap insurance that paid off in frog chokers. Of course, it is, ahhhh declasse and makes me feel like a beverly hills hillbilly but pulling dry underwear from my garbage bag when the next guy has wet clothes makes up for it.

Now I use the special form fitting Honda bag liners which add another layer of water resistance and I carry a folded garbage bag (or two) for when I discover the whole system leaks (or to put a wet tent in for the trip home).

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I also pack my clothes in plastic bags (usually zip-loc bags) as extra insurance, but I've spent most of a day riding in rain and didn't get even a drop in the saddlebag. I wish I could say the same for me.

When I wash the bike, I don't use a hose. I really just use a bucket of plain, warm water and a microfiber cloth.

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
I've never had a drop get inside the 1100 bags while riding.
|You would have to go hard all day long in a heavy rain to get anything inside those. And how often do U ride like that??

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
You would have to go hard all day long in a heavy rain to get anything inside those. And how often do U ride like that??
Having 2, 3 or 4 days of touring in heavy downpours can happen...
But I had no water breach during this "regular" use.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
If you look on the back-side of the saddlebag underneath the horizontal support that holds the bag on to the rail of the bike you will see a small vent hole. This hole is there to allow air to escape and enter when you close and open the saddlebag. Under extreme conditions or when spraying a water jet in an unnatural direction water can enter through this hole. It happened to me on a particularly wet trip once. To stop the water infiltration during this trip I took a pair of foam ear plugs and stuffed them in these holes and never had another drop enter. After the trip I left them there for the life of the bike. As a bonus when I closed the saddlebag I would here a rush of air as the lid closed giving me an audible confirmation that the seals were still in good shape every time I closed the saddlebag.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I sealed those holes with a dab of silicone sealant on my '95, as soon as I discovered them. Never had a problem, or a leak.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
I sealed those holes with a dab of silicone sealant on my '95, as soon as I discovered them. Never had a problem, or a leak.
Me too, but darn if I still don't get a slight bit of water sitting in the bottom at times. I also hit the gasket with Sil-Glyde from time to time. It's been a slightly irritating mystery when I hear others are perfectly dry.

I've had rain water work itself inside ( bike not moving and on kick stand). when packed for traveling, I always put everything inside of good thickness plastic bags first. water resistant, maybe....waterproof? NO

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I also hit the gasket with Sil-Glyde from time to time.
Which is a good maintenance plan... ;-)
It's been a slightly irritating mystery when I hear others are perfectly dry.
Hinges and buckles can be adjusted to centre the lid and get it closer to the body, increasing pressure on the seals.

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
I put as much clothing as I can fit in a dry bag (meant for canoeing) and the rest (sleeping bag etc.) in plastic bags (either garbage or zip locs). Arriving at your destination with everything wet is no fun!

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Back in the 90ies I got myself some RKA liners, never had an issue with leaking... and over the years I've been in some really nasty downpours and rainstorms lasting over days... continental and UK...

The only stuff that goes into plastic bags are the boat shoes and worn (smelly ;-) ) clothing...

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
176K miles of which more than a few were in torrential frog-stranglers. Never a drop inside my panniers. The lid seals are a testament to the quality of Honda's design. I have had a few drops inside after washing the bags while off the ST.

I recall one anecdote from years ago from an STrider who'd sealed the vent holes in his panniers and then had great difficulty opening them after returning from a ride up to a much higher elevation.

John
via iPhone 6

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...had great difficulty opening them after returning from a ride up to a much higher elevation.
Providing pressure equalizing would also be my understanding about the function of that hole... like the vent-screw on them pelican-cases...

Bike
92 ST1100
:rain1:
Not that's funny.:D
+2:rofl1:. While at high elevation, least they didn't puff up looking like a bag of Lay's chips ready to burst at 10,000ft.
For a WAY GOOD visual referance of that, just walk into Safeway store in Leadville, Colo. (10,000ft.elev.,at that spot).

Took me quit a while to figure out why that hole was left existing in a supossed sealed case:rolleyes:.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Been in a few downpours riding that very bike. Never had water inside that I know of. But as said... a targeted spray at an unnatural direction will likely get in. There is another hole in the bottom of the paniers (I think) that is covered with black electrical tape. Or maybe I'm remembering the hole already mentioned in the inner side. I made sure that was good every year and never had a problem there either. I always packed my clothes in the top case anyway. That is sealed even better than the paniers I think. Put tools and tent and cooking stuff in the paniers and didn't care if they got a few drops on them.

Last edited:
Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
I would recommend a little RTV. A few minutes studying where water may enter and plugging the small holes with RTV should at least minimize any water infiltration.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
So, I know WHY the left side bag on my '04 is not keeping water out, but I'm not quiiiiiite sure what to do about it. The cause is that the rubber gasket no longer stays in the channel that is supposed to contain the base part (the rectangle). Every time I open the pannier some part (and tonight, ALL) of the gasket has worked loose.

So what can / should I use to put it back in place, "permanently"? I've been thinking a small bead of silicone caulk inside the channel might be sticky enough to hang onto the rubber part. Or hot glue? Though that would either (a) be too effective and I'd NEVER be able to replace the gasket if I had to or (b) it would not hold well enough and I'd end up back where I am now. Or would I be better off buying a replacement gasket? I'm not sure whether the existing one has simply shrunk slightly around the base, such that friction is no longer enough to hold it in place, or if there is something more fundamentally wrong that would be best addressed with a replacement part.

Anyone have any suggestions?

FWIW, and if this has any bearing on matters, the problem is on the side where I routinely stash the folded-up cover for the bike when it is not parked in front of my house. The cover fills, but does not appear to over-fill, the volume of the saddlebag, or even protrude substantially into the lid of the bag.

Also, a couple months ago I had something heavy in that bag and managed to break the plastic clip on the lid-retaining strap (the lid flopped open when I was getting ready to empty it), so it now opens farther than it should. But IF I allow it to open fully I am careful not to just let it flop open- I support it with my knee. I don't think I've distorted or damaged the body of the bag, or the lid, but it's possible.

Top Bottom