Saddlebags are not waterproof?

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
If you do decide to glue the gasket back in place, I wouldn't use silicone caulk. It's too hard to work with. A better choice would be Phenoseal, Polyseamseal or Lexel, all of which are water soluble until cured making clean-up of any excess much easier. I know that Lexel comes in clear, I'm not sure about the others.

With any of these products, I would consider it to be fairly permanent and hard to undo repair unless you use very, very little.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I sealed those holes with a dab of silicone sealant on my '95, as soon as I discovered them. Never had a problem, or a leak.
Yeah, I did the same. Never had any water leaking in there again but when I rode up into the mountains and back down again, I could not open the bags. Evidently as you ride up the mountain trapped air in the bag can push out past the seals and equilibrate. On the way back down however, the increasing atmospheric pressure pushes the lid closed tighter preventing any air from going back into the bags. It took two of us and cost us a couple of fingernails to force the bags open again. We were greeted by quite a "whoosh" as they opened.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Yeah, I did the same. Never had any water leaking in there again but when I rode up into the mountains and back down again, I could not open the bags. Evidently as you ride up the mountain trapped air in the bag can push out past the seals and equilibrate. On the way back down however, the increasing atmospheric pressure pushes the lid closed tighter preventing any air from going back into the bags. It took two of us and cost us a couple of fingernails to force the bags open again. We were greeted by quite a "whoosh" as they opened.
I remember the conversation on the old ST forum about the bags (on the 1100, 1300 wasn't out yet) being vented for atmospheric pressure equalization. If you do plug them with silicone, perhaps poke a small hole to allow some air to transfer in/out.

Hey guys, a local ST1100 is for sale and I saw this pick. Looks like pannier bags with the Pan European logo. Are they original? Or someone made them? 60aa05bc1643c317c9786bf2o.jpg

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Hey guys, a local ST1100 is for sale and I saw this pick. Looks like pannier bags with the Pan European logo. Are they original? Or someone made them?
Not original but an aftermarket alternative. Those look to be nicely made and perhaps a better design than the original Honda accessory.

The OEM versions for the ST1100 were the same ones originally made for the PC800 Pacific Coast. They're are a very basic black Cordura bag with a single top-loading zipper and a pair of web handles. They generally fill the 1100's cases but are not especially 'form-fitting'.

As the aftermarket began serving the ST1100 community the bag liners produced were significantly more elaborate in design and outwardly a better product than Honda's.

These are a pair of lightly used liners I bought back in, what... 1992?

No logos, nothing fancy. Orange paracord added by me so I can spot the zipper pull more easily; a second piece of paracord added on the loop of one so I can distinguish it from the other as both bags are identical - no left/right orientation to them.

1622817589496.png

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
I’ve had a set of the simple, black Hondaline bags since ‘94. They’ve worked well since/188K. But I couldn’t pass up a nice sale not too long ago for the Bestem bags. Very nice kit.

John

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
I thought I posted some pics a bit ago but I see nodda.
I've got a set of RKA bags that I would sell for $40.00 + shipping. They show no signs of wear.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I’ve had a set of the simple, black Hondaline bags since ‘94. They’ve worked well since/188K. But I couldn’t pass up a nice sale not too long ago for the Bestem bags. Very nice kit.

John
What I do like about 'em is - if it fits in the bag it fits on the bike.

1622839506395.png

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
"... So what can / should I use to put it back in place, "permanently"? ..."

I would buy another seal for the saddlebag. item 23 ~$20

I've had about 15 ST1100 saddlebags and about a half dozen Givi cases of one size or another. One day ride all the way across Tenn. (E-W), not a drop. It's a long ride across Tenn.! Another day long ride across Texas in the rain. Never leaked a drop. :) I use a set of the original Honda Line saddlebag liners (like John). I know the saddlebags come off the bike but I prefer to take the cloth bags in at night. I also have 6 Hepco & Becker saddlebags (sorta like GIVI). All 6 leaked, some worse than others. :(

Top Bottom