dropped bike then it would not start.

Bike
2006 ST1300 PA ABS
Went on a ride yesterday, over 100 miles, and wanted to stop and get some water and a snack. pulled over at at small town, did a slow left turn and yep you guessed it i dropped my bike. :oops: This was my first drop and i did it in front of two groups of other riders. Thus my pride was at a all time low. I raised her back up, did it the incorrect method but it worked, guess i was pumped. Then the real issue happened. She would not start. I cranked her over about ten times, nothing. tried it again and nothing..... hmmm. then the battery failed. Sure seemed to fail real soon.

Has anyone had an issue like this? is this a clue that i need to replace the battery or is there a "tip over process" that i missed?

Thanks for any help here.

and yes i did get her started by a push from the other riders.:bow1:

Bike
92 ST1100
Was gonna suggest checking kill switch, as first drop I had, accidently apparently my hand musta' bumped the kill switch on its way down. Could'nt get it to start with ALOT of trys, until, well:eek::....... Your last statement trumped that thought:rolleyes:.

OP
OP
Mantaray23
Bike
2006 ST1300 PA ABS
Well I thought I did that but at that very moment I cant remember. My pride... well I think I need another glass of wine. I'm really feeling like there is more egg on my face.. As I have always say to my kids there is no dump questions unless you don't ask.... :shrug2:

Any other comments on the battery question....

Bike
2010 ST1300
Hurt pride heals quickly. One of my tip overs cost 500 bucks. Had to repmace the window mechanism as I forgot the kickstand backing out of the garage. Bike tipped over and the wind screen hit the garage door.

Last edited:
Bike
2007 ST1300
find a vacant parking lot and practice slow speed maneuvering such as U-turns and sharp right turns from a stopped position, should help the pride also.

Bike
2010 ST1300
You might watch one of the videos on youtube that shows a young lady picking up a big Harley. The technique works for the ST. And I'd suggest that with help, you lower the bike in your driveway onto a folded tarp (so you don't scrape the tip over plastic) with the engine running until it stops. Then pick it up, and try to restart it. If it fires right up, you know what you did wrong at that rest stop.

OP
OP
Mantaray23
Bike
2006 ST1300 PA ABS
Thanks for the information everyone. It's true I will get over it. My buddy that was with me really enjoyed it as he is a new rider and it all goes to show you that you should always continue your practice and perfect your skills.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
I went to an event put on by my dealer this spring and one of the things they taught was how to pick up a bike. The technique that uses your back that I have known for a long time was taught but also one that just uses the handle bars which seemed to work better for taller people.

Gerhard

[video]https://youtu.be/sgPDr-bjHs0[/video]

Bike
2010 ST1300
I went to an event put on by my dealer this spring and one of the things they taught was how to pick up a bike. The technique that uses your back that I have known for a long time was taught but also one that just uses the handle bars which seemed to work better for taller people.

Gerhard

[video]https://youtu.be/sgPDr-bjHs0[/video]
That video shows a lot of effort coming from your back. And while I don't know relative weights/cog's I think trying that with an ST would not be as easy. And easy is relative....

OP
OP
Mantaray23
Bike
2006 ST1300 PA ABS
Thanks for the video.

Yep that was the method i used and as I'm 63 and only 175 lbs it surprised the BMW guys is was able to right it by myself. I will try the method of using my butt in the seat and walking backwords to see if its any easier. My be as the legs have more power than the back and arms. plus i found the tip over note in the manual about turning off the key. Guess i missed this, but i should have thought about it as my two Suzuki bikes have this same process. Practice, practice, and more practice.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
[video]https://youtu.be/iy8CCLT-gFw[/video]

As it happens I took more video that day and this shows both methods of picking up the bike. I think his explanation may help make it clearer though the wind noise is pretty bad.

Gerhard

OP
OP
Mantaray23
Bike
2006 ST1300 PA ABS
Thanks for the second video, will work on both as i may need to use these in the future...

The main problem i was concerned with was the battery. I went down to my local Honda dealer and talked to the head tech, a friend of mine. He said, first on a dropped bike turn off the power, get it back up when your ready. Then turn the key back on and off until "you hear the fuel pump" start. Only at that point is tip over censer reset. He said if you do NOT hear the fuel pump DO NOT attempt to start the bike as it will only drain your battery. Im sure that is what happened to me. Im also sure i was "excited" about where i dropped it and wanted it back up and running ASAP. Next time if it happens i will try to remember to first calm down, think then act. Sounds like similar instruction i use to give my scuba students when the regulator came out of their mouth. Stop, think then act. SAME PRINCIPLE.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Sounds like similar instruction i use to give my scuba students when the regulator came out of their mouth. Stop, think then act. SAME PRINCIPLE.
I'd to smile there since I'm also a diver (Advanced +)... ;-)

And yes, whenever someone drops a bike/tips over with it, I always first calm them down... the bike is already on the ground, it can't get any worse, but are you OK? (while reaching down, turning the key to OFF), if yes lets see how we can righten it back up again safely and without hurting ourselves...

Top Bottom