Do BS 023's such or do ST's eat tires???

I ate up a T30 rear tire faster then any other tire I have ever used on my ST1300.
The T30 front (single compound) is great and the T30 rear (dual compound) has decent wear in the center but the sides are much too soft. The T30s allow me to push the ST to a respectable speed and that is their downfall. Bridgestone just needs to fix the too-soft side tread on the T30 GTs and they would have the premium ST tire. I am installing a PR-4 on the rear this morning and I will be testing it during Tmac this year BR.

My back-up plan is to buy 4 Dunlop RS2 rears and claim the $100 in rebate money. My testing of the RS2 on the VFR found it to be an OK tire that should work acceptably well on the ST. I will not give up the T30 front because it has proven to be an exceptional tire on the ST that can handle anything I can through at it. You followed the ST on T30s last year up 151 and down 215 and that was only cruising along on impulse power. In warp drive the T30s grip like a pure sport tire. And wear like them too.

OP
OP
BaileyRock

BaileyRock

Senior Screamer!
Bike
2013 Ducati MS1200S
Just finished the first 160 mile two-up ride on the new T-30 GT rear. The bike felt completely different! I got use to it and was able to bring the pace right back up after waving a GSXR rider by and pacing him thru the twisties. After that it was Rock & Roll time, but i didn't actually eliminate my chicken strips on this ride. Looks like I have a 1/4" left on each side.
Fun ride, but the Fi light came on during a short run down the interstate. It cleared itself once i cycled the key once, but I'm sure it will return. Plan to check the codes soon.

BTW the strange wiggle in the rear went away with the new tire. :)

Last edited:
Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
BTW the strange wiggle in the rear went away with the new tire.

Last edited by BaileyRock; 05-17-2015 at 03:51 PM.
Didn't you just replace the flange bearings? You don't think that had an effect? If I was burning tires like you (used to, BTW) I'd be putting Shinkos on......just sayin'........have fun.........ff

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Great question!
I'm not sure it that bearing issue would allow any extra movement or just drag?

Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message ...to the topTop
On an old Goldwing I used to have the bearing play in the rear wheel made it feel like I was herding sheep....made it scary enough that I didn't corner like I usually would....hence the question....if it didn't scare the crap out of you maybe it did have an effect on the tire wear.....have fun......ff

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
FYI, driven flange bearings do not effect on the trueness of the wheel's rotation--at most they provide a very slight amount of power loss as they fail. Further, their failing does not create any lateral slop of the wheel on the axle--the inner races of the flange bearings are on a collar which is compressed by the axle.

The wheel itself is directly supported by other bearings on the axle. The flange bearings could be left out and the rear wheel would run true and would have no lateral slop (but the driven flange and splines would wear out very quickly).

OP
OP
BaileyRock

BaileyRock

Senior Screamer!
Bike
2013 Ducati MS1200S
FYI, driven flange bearings do not effect on the trueness of the wheel's rotation--at most they provide a very slight amount of power loss as they fail. Further, their failing does not create any lateral slop of the wheel on the axle--the inner races of the flange bearings are on a collar which is compressed by the axle.

The wheel itself is directly supported by other bearings on the axle. The flange bearings could be left out and the rear wheel would run true and would have no lateral slop (but the driven flange and splines would wear out very quickly).
Thanks, I didn't think it would, but didn't give it much thought.

Bike
R1200rt
had 023's got about 7-8000 just installed a 130/70 zr18 exedra max tire on front replacing 110/80zr18. It is for a Goldwing, fits and looks good by next year I'll give a mileage update

OP
OP
BaileyRock

BaileyRock

Senior Screamer!
Bike
2013 Ducati MS1200S
had 023's got about 7-8000 just installed a 130/70 zr18 exedra max tire on front replacing 110/80zr18. It is for a Goldwing, fits and looks good by next year I'll give a mileage update
Should be interesting to see how the Wing front works for you!
i got 1100 miles from my 023 GT rear. :confused:

saddletramp8511

R.I.P. - 2019/01/01
Rest In Peace
Bike
2014 Gold Wing
Thanks Bill!
I know I have to Pay to Play, but holy moly. I decided to not push another ride on the 023GT and pulled it off with less then 900(nine hundred) miles on it as the left side was about wiped clean.
But when I pulled the wheel off last I found the Driven Bearings to be toast so I'm headed off to pick up a pair of 6905-2RS HCH(6905RS Koyo) before I can try the T30 GT this weekend. :confused:
Bailey If you truly ate up a GT023 that bad in 900 mi. There is something really bad going on with your bike. If its a bearing issue I can't imagine that you wouldn't have felt it in the bike if they were that bad..On the other hand if you really do ride that aggressively I hope your life insurance is paid up. It's only a matter of when not if.....I wish you well ...Bill

Bailey If you truly ate up a GT023 that bad in 900 mi. There is something really bad going on with your bike. If its a bearing issue I can't imagine that you wouldn't have felt it in the bike if they were that bad..On the other hand if you really do ride that aggressively I hope your life insurance is paid up. It's only a matter of when not if.....I wish you well ...Bill
Bailey's street skills are above reproach and he is always in control even if he seems fast to most mortals. You may want to think twice about lending him your track bike though. :D

acedantinne

Site Supporter
Bike
04-st1300, 15-1200RT
STOC #
I ate up a T30 rear tire faster then any other tire I have ever used on my ST1300.
Same here Mike. The T30's are very short lived. The best were & still are the oem's 020 BS. On the st1300 the T30 has just over 6,000 miles at wear bars.

OP
OP
BaileyRock

BaileyRock

Senior Screamer!
Bike
2013 Ducati MS1200S
Bailey's street skills are above reproach and he is always in control even if he seems fast to most mortals. You may want to think twice about lending him your track bike though. :D
Thanks Kimball! :bow1:
That's means a lot coming from my Zen Master Rider!

PS Bill, I misspoke on my mileage. I actually got 20% more miles off that 023 then I originally though, I actually pulled it off with around 1100 miles on it just to be Safe! :D

Last edited:
Bike
92 ST1100
OK, I was off a little. Turns out i actually have 1100 miles on this BT023gt rear, I didn't think it was worth the risk of getting in another several hundred mile ride in on the tire safely. So I popped on a new BT T-30 GT rear to match the front, but found the Driven bearing toast. So after replacing the bearings i'm ready to test the new rear.
No 'chicken stripes ' on those tires!......more miles on the sides than center. I definitely see that mileage is irrelavent in your case....pay to play. I occassionaly 'play', but even at that, expect to get in the 10K range out of rear 23(non GT). With 2,500mi. on them, and 'played' way hard on them the other day in the mountain twisties south of me, still showing center mark from mold!

saddletramp8511

R.I.P. - 2019/01/01
Rest In Peace
Bike
2014 Gold Wing
I didn't question his skills....Dale Earnhart's skills were above reproach as well...Just don't want to see someone leave us early unecessarily...I know I know when its your time its your time...Mebbe....I think we can sometimes hurry things along because of our free will...Bill

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
A line we used to give new riders at the school - "there are old motorcyclists and there are bold motorcyclists, but there are no old, bold motorcyclists". Apparently, Bailey has defied the odds on this for more years than most! Continued good luck to him.

veefore

See you at my intervention!
Bike
15' BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Took off my 023gts at my friends shop, 6k and the rear wasn't pretty. When side by side with the new 020's there was no comparison in carcass stiffness, the OEM 020's are MUCH stiffer

Last edited:
Bike
92 ST1100
A line we used to give new riders at the school - "there are old motorcyclists and there are bold motorcyclists, but there are no old, bold motorcyclists". Apparently, Bailey has defied the odds on this for more years than most! Continued good luck to him.
......originally applied to pilots.......never previously thought of applying that to 'up on two wheels'........but DEFINITELY very true, 100%!

OP
OP
BaileyRock

BaileyRock

Senior Screamer!
Bike
2013 Ducati MS1200S
:mad: I find your comments rather rude and negative Bush.
I wouldn't think ST-Owners.com would be a Bashing forum? :confused:
I can think of a few LINES myself, but won't lower myself to that level.
I ride the PACE, if you know what that is. Yes my PACE is quicker than most and slower then others, but I live for and in the twisties and yes I even accelerate out of corners.
I don't commute or tour when I ride, just connect turns as smoothly and safely as I can. :03biker:

Top Bottom