ABS light stuck on....bleeding nightmare!!

Hi guys. I have an st1100 1998 and the ABS light is stuck on. Have done a fault finder and it blinks 8 times. I saw something about a fault fix but cant work it out. Tried to do the fix but the light hasn't gone out.
any help would be great
Thanks in advance
James

Last edited:
OP
OP
according to the fault code list it's the ABS ECU thats at fault
flashed 6 times which was rear tyre sensor(thats what a mechanic who fitted a new alternator for me said). I have tried the fault removal code but all it does is long flashes over and over. Ive removed the abs/tcs fuse and re fitted it to try and clear it but that hasnt solved it either..

pulling my hair out with this.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
When I bought my "wrecked" 2010 ST1300, the ABS light wouldn't go out at all! I even took it into the dealer (still under warranty), and after replacing the front sensor and the light not going out, they told me they think it was the ABS ECU, but the only way they could find out was for me to buy a new one (at $1,100) and if that fixed the issue, they would send the broken one in to Honda and see if they would cover it. And because of the accident the bike was in, that was questionable!

A few months later, I found one on ebay from a wrecked cop bike with only 409 miles on it. I picked it up for less than 25% of a new one. And yes, it fixed my problem. That was almost a year ago and the light continues to work correctly! :D

Bike
st 1100
flashed 6 times which was rear tyre sensor(thats what a mechanic who fitted a new alternator for me said). I have tried the fault removal code but all it does is long flashes over and over. Ive removed the abs/tcs fuse and re fitted it to try and clear it but that hasnt solved it either..

pulling my hair out with this.
6 times? you said 8 in the original post?

Bike
st 1100
you can clear the fault on the ecu easy enough but unless you actually fix the fault it will likely just come straight back

Bike
st 1100
What the Fault Codes Mean:

Code

Description

Faulty front modulator crank angle sensor system

Faulty rear modulator crank angle sensor system

Faulty front modulator control motor system

Faulty rear modulator control motor system

Faulty front wheel speed sensor system

Faulty rear wheel speed sensor system

Faulty power circuit

Faulty ABS control unit (ECU)

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
And BTW, my light was on Solid, wouldn't go out no matter what I did, including removing the fuses! :eek:4:

OP
OP
The fault removal technique i am doing is
Pressing the abs/tcs button in
Turning the ignition on
Waiting 5 seconds
As soon as the ABS light goes out i release the abs/tcs button and the left bulb in the ABS on the dash begins to flash.... but ONLY does long flashes( no short or fast flashes). Am i doing the correct procedure?

Bike
st 1100
well according to chart above 6 flashes means it's just the rear wheel speed sensor never done one but dont think it's too terrible. but if it were only 4 flashes for example it would likely mean the rear modulator (the most common i think) is shot which new is insanely expensive and i dont think you can even get them anymore so just take the bulbs out. i rode my 2001 ABS for 5 years in such a way does not affect the brakes capability to stop you

Bike
st 1100
OP
OP
I think im just going to have to remove the ABS bulb. How do you access it may i ask?
The other thing is when i do the fault retrieval and you hold the abs/tcs button down and both the ABS and TCS lights go out well only my ABS light goes out and NOT the TCS? Could anyone shed any light on this?
Thanks

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
The fault removal technique i am doing is
Pressing the abs/tcs button in
Turning the ignition on
Waiting 5 seconds
As soon as the ABS light goes out i release the abs/tcs button and the left bulb in the ABS on the dash begins to flash.... but ONLY does long flashes( no short or fast flashes). Am i doing the correct procedure?
You're supposed to press the ABS/TCS button momentarily again while the light is flashing. The steps above retrieve the codes, but do not cancel them until you give the button a quick press again.

Having said that, long blinks only imply there are no stored codes which seems worrisome to me.

Top Bottom