Info on the Suzuki 2007 GS500F

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Anybody have one of these? GS500F Suzuki. My daughter just bought one a mouth ago and I am doing the service on it now. Was wondering about peoples experience with this machine. I know I know, check the forums. I have and most of the folks there are a bunch of kids with limited info. Also I have looked at U-tube vids. . I want insight that I can trust from people I can trust, thus the reason for this post. The bike is a 2007 with 5400 miles on the clock and the valves are shim over bucket and have never been checked. Planning on checking them soon as the interval is every 4k miles. Would like to know what I can expect when I undress and open her up. Yes, I do have the service manual.

View attachment 163934

Bike
Honda 919
I don't have a lot of experience with them but have learned a lot about them over the past year. My college-age son bought a non-running 1990 GS500 in April of 2014. We spent a month or so getting it running and he commuted about 40 miles per day on it last summer. We went through the bike pretty thoroughly and it's really a basic, solid machine. It's all old school tech and I think their reputation for being as durable as an anvil is earned.

The bike had 27K on it and the valves all checked within spec. I don't know if they were ever checked before, but judging by the looks of things, I doubt they ever were. It was a fun bike to ride but the refinement of it kind of reminded me of my old 1973 Yamaha enduro. the brakes were surprisingly good.

We sold the bike a month or so ago and made a few hundred over what we had in it. If we'd lost money I would have just called it tuition since the boy learned a lot in the process of turning it around. You are correct in your assessment of the forums. I think the GS500 is an excellent bike, especially for the cost. Have fun with it.

JT105

Let's Ride!
Bike
12 ST1300, 15 NC700X
Had a GS500E (no front plastic) for 5 yrs. loved the bike. Never had a problem.
The motor is as simple as they come. I wouldn't expect any surprises.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
My daughter's first bike was a 500F. She rode the wheels off that thing. Never a hint of trouble. I doubt you could hurt it with a gun! Wasn't aware the valves needed checking:D
I striggle to think of a better bike to learn on. Fast enough not to be dangerous on th highway, light and small enough for a newbie, dead nuts reliable, easy to do routine maintenance on, etc.

if it looks like it has had even a modicum of care, check the oil, put gas in and ride it for a while, then see how things are.

Rod

ps - in case it isn't readily apparent, I am of the school of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Last edited:

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
The GS500 is the Toyota Camry of the motorcycle world. Old reliable technology - basically the engine is two cylinders lopped off a GS1000 except with plain bearings in the lower end. You will need to get a valve shim tool to remove/replace the valve shims. Basically a hook shaped cam device that pushes down the edge of the valve bucket to provide clearance to remove the shim. Very easy. Engines are tuned way lean at low speed so you will notice that it takes a bit of warm-up to allow the engine to run at idle. Basically a good solid not too exciting (performance wise) bike.

Dan

OP
OP
ChucksKLRST

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
The GS500 is the Toyota Camry of the motorcycle world. Old reliable technology - basically the engine is two cylinders lopped off a GS1000 except with plain bearings in the lower end. You will need to get a valve shim tool to remove/replace the valve shims. Basically a hook shaped cam device that pushes down the edge of the valve bucket to provide clearance to remove the shim. Very easy. Engines are tuned way lean at low speed so you will notice that it takes a bit of warm-up to allow the engine to run at idle. Basically a good solid not too exciting (performance wise) bike.

Dan
Got the tool on order. My daughter is a relative novice so this bike fits her perfectly. She had a 700 dollar EX500 with 45k miles on it but it was tired and not worth the putting more money into it. She sold it for 1100 bucks.

@ Rod. Your right don't fix what is not broke, I agree, but my peice of mind says to check the valve clearance. Found out it has never been done. Will do that when the tool gets here. Ran a Seal Mate tool around the fork seals and that seemed to cure the fork oil seepage. I believe it was from lack of use over the last few years. Took the bike out and rode it for about 75 miles my self. Must have been a funny sight. My large butt on that little bike. :D All seems OK and I found out it is a fun little bike to ride around in the city.

Thanks all for the feedback. Sure appreciate it.

Top Bottom