suggestions for mods due to back pain? Anti wuss pills?

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
I'd like to give you a legitimate medical answer- although it's reasonable to use some medication for pain as needed, you don't want to get in the habit of taking them on a regular basis for the following reasons:
-NSAIDs (motrin/ aleve)- can cause gastritis but is probably OK for occasional use
+1 on what you say about the NSAIDs. I took Aleve quite often over a 5 year period because of pain caused by shoulder problems and wound up with an ulcer. Now that it's healed up, I stay away from NSAIDs unless absolutely necessary and even then I'll only take them if Tylenol doesn't work.

OP
OP
Nm767
Bike
2008 ST 1300
STOC #
I get about 4-5 hours of sleep but sometimes as little as 2. But this isn't every day. On my normal shift i get about 6--7 hours of sleep. What can I say business is booming as of recently.

I have a very good DR who I trust and when I can I'll bring it up with him.

I don't seem to notice the pain in my patrol car much just on the bike, but I'm sure my gear (vest, gunbelt, etc.) Play a key role.

I appreciate all the input

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I wouldn't doubt the vest adds bulk to your back when driving a patrol car, so it may have some fault here. I'll tell you, once you have the OMT done to your back, you'll be sold for life, but that's all I'll say about that...

Forrest Gump

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Plus 23 on all the strength and stretching inputs.....my pain is lower.
What worked for me, to help stretch, was an inversion table. The thing you strap into and turn upside down..

Picked one up used on Craigslist and it helped relieve a pinched nerve that was causing other muscles to tighten up. Used gravity instead of pain killers.

ps Thanks for your service to the community....I have similar friends who are suffering also because business is so good on their beats as well. Good luck, hope you find your relief and keep riding.

ToddC

Bike
2006 ST1300
As others have suggested it sounds like your job is the main source of your pain. Several have offered up good advice.

In addition, if you have a Russell, and it came with the bike, then it wasn't built for YOU. No two people require the exact same seat, or seat/handlebar relationship. If your seat was built for someone with a different build and stature, it could be causing some of the problems. Or you might need a different brand seat. While a Russell is great for many people, not everyone is comfortable on them. See if anyone near you will let you sway seats with them for a little while. I wish you were closer, I have an extra Corbin (many, including me, find them uncomfortable, but some like them) or my Russell that is for a tall rider.

Next up check your seat adjustments. Many riders have found the best position for the seat is to have the front slightly elevated. Put the front in the high or medium (probably high, you are the same height as me) then when putting the rear part of the front seat in, push it forward a bit and kind of force the rear adjuster into a lower position. So if the front is on high, set the rear to medium. That will take some pressure off your tailbone.

You might look into highway pegs. You mentioned some leg pain before, highway pegs are a great way to let the blood flow to your legs by changing positions. Because you are tall you may want a custom set. My highway pegs are about 4" in front of the front of the tipover wings (grey wings on the sides by the engine). That is perfect for my long legs. Putting my feet out there also helps my back on long highway stretches.

Good luck. The ST1300 can be a very comfortable bike for a tall rider once it is set up.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Good luck on your back pain relief....no one's mentioned the Master Yoda position yet....do a Google on that and see what you think....did me a world of good............ff

Bike
2004 ST1300
You didn't say what version of risers you have. I too, had MCL risers on my bike when I bought it. I had the same pain that you describe. I put on the new version of Heli bars (3.2 ?) which puts your wrists at a slightly better angle. The risers plus a wonderful Laam seat took care of my pains. As already stated, good posture can also make a great difference. Good luck!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
You've stated twice that your pain is in your middle upper back. Barring an injury of some nature I'd bet posture/riding position is the big problem. I don't recall if you're experiencing pain in your patrol vehicle but if so you could try adding a lumbar support. It might lend to old-man jokes at line-up. Wearing Kevlar will make you hot and sweaty but unless there's a rogue seam or crease I doubt it's responsible for much if any of your back pain.

Not nearly your height I had the same back problem when I first got my ST. I was familiar with it because of riding my other bikes than had me leaning on the bars way too much giving me a "vulture" posture. Caf? stuff was fun but I grew out of it. My Interceptor gave me some pain but my Sabre didn't. The Gen III Helibar riser fixed my ST.

Exercising in your spare time (LOL!!) to support a better posture is a good way to go. Also reducing the lean and weight on your wrists should be a big if not biggest part of relieving your pain. This gets you out of that constant semi-pushup position.

A back rest or even a rolled up jacket strapped to the seat directly behind you can give some good positioning which is just as essential to good support.

I'm most comfortable sitting bolt upright but some people are need to lean forward a bit. But that can be done without putting weight on your wrists arms and shoulders if you can reach the bars easily without leaning into them.

Frequent stops and stretching are a given.

The ST's OEM suspension sucks. It's way undersprung for most of us. This makes it harsh over anything but the smoothes roads and the bars transmit that to the rider all too well. Dialing in suspension could be a really big help. The rear suspension isn't much better and when you ride two-up it lets you know. Riding solo and two-up make different demands on it but I bet smoothing that out would help.

Re your weight loss: you may have lost some lean muscle mass along with body fat and that might be a factor in your pain. Doing push-ups is a good exercise in general and might help with your pain. Crunches are good too.

A throttle lock would allow you to stretch a little while riding and sit more upright for a minute if you're not already doing so. You'd obviously pick the appropriate time and place for that.

If you find something that works let us know. Good luck!

OP
OP
Nm767
Bike
2008 ST 1300
STOC #
Plus 23 on all the strength and stretching inputs.....my pain is lower.
What worked for me, to help stretch, was an inversion table. The thing you strap into and turn upside down..

Picked one up used on Craigslist and it helped relieve a pinched nerve that was causing other muscles to tighten up. Used gravity instead of pain killers.

ps Thanks for your service to the community....I have similar friends who are suffering also because business is so good on their beats as well. Good luck, hope you find your relief and keep riding.

ToddC
Your very welcome, it's nice to hear thanks now and then. I know a few cops have gotten inversion tables, I'll have to look into that.

OP
OP
Nm767
Bike
2008 ST 1300
STOC #
I have a gen III riser. I also do have a set of MCL highway blades but only use them on long rides or when my legs get tired.

I have had 2 prior CBR 1100XX's and 1 other ST1300 so I'm used to both the leaned and upright position.

I have always ridden with a Corbin seat on my blackbirds and swore by them. I loved them and to this day I think they are the most comfortable seats even though they are pretty hard. My father strongly dislikes Corbin seats.

I always use the lumbar supports in the patrol cars (when they work), and I really don't have any noticeable back pain in my car. I would think the gun belt would cause more issues than the vest does. It's heavy (just under 30 lbs) and I'm always sitting against the items on my back (handcuffs, gloves, radio, etc).

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300A '10
I'm only 6'2" but am no stranger to back pain. In stock form, the ST was a problem. Risers helped (and which generation of them matters by the way-later= better), highway blades helped (allows you to change positions), but if I were to pick one thing the helped the most it was to vary seat height. Stock it comes with 3 settings but I went with the MCL riser block. On the highest position that sucker likely raises the seat a couple of inches which dramatically changes the angle of your arms and back. Go to this sight and play with the pull-back/seat height/peg position and you can start to see it in terms of degree of bend:

http://cycle-ergo.com

No two backs are alike but if you pick a bike that you know has been comfortable & note the key stats, you can start to modify
to get your bike closer to it. I for instance had a W650 that always seemed a lot more comfortable that the Bonnie's. Since Kawi in their infinite wisdom will not bring in W's to the states anymore I bought a Bonnie and modded it until it had stats just like my old W did. Guess what? it's now just as comfortable as my W was. Changes of 5-10 degrees in lean/hip/knee angle might not sound like much then again it can be the difference between solving pain rather than masking it with pills. YMMV.

OP
OP
Nm767
Bike
2008 ST 1300
STOC #
I double checked since the seat came with the bike and it's actually a Sargent seat, not RDL. I think I may try to switch back to a corbin. I've always loved my corbin seats, but never had one built for me. I've only bought used ones. I live close enough to the factory in Hollister I may make an appointment and go get fitted.

OP
OP
Nm767
Bike
2008 ST 1300
STOC #
So I did a bit more riding lately and I tried paying more attention to my riding style and I think I figured it out. When I ride the ST I slouch really bad. I noticed that when my back started to hurt I could force my self to sit up straight and the pain almost instantly went away. Now I don't know if it would come back in that position cause I kept going back to my slouched (natural) position.

My entire life I've had bad posture and my wife is always yelling at me about it.

Talked to my Dr who did xrays and says everything is normal is just a comfort/habit that ill.have to learn to break. He's sending me to physical therapy.

Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
So I did a bit more riding lately and I tried paying more attention to my riding style and I think I figured it out. When I ride the ST I slouch really bad. I noticed that when my back started to hurt I could force my self to sit up straight and the pain almost instantly went away. Now I don't know if it would come back in that position cause I kept going back to my slouched (natural) position.
I know what you mean about slouching as this was my main problem, especially after a long day. The gen 111 riser helped but when I installed the Heli horizon bars, this really fixed my problem. infinitely adjustable and got me back in the center of the seat and not on the tank. Luckily if got them of the forum for a fair price. (very expensive)

Top Bottom