Florida to Niagara Falls any tips

STrangr

Mike O.
Bike
2007 St-1300 Abs
STOC #
Hey guys,
Me and the Mrs. are in the final stages of planning our upcoming trip to Niagara Falls. :07biker: We will likely cross the border but don't plan on going very far from it YET. (Alaska is on the bucket list) unless there is something interesting close by,
We had to move it up 3 weeks due to conflicting work schedules and have less time to research. We have a total of 8-9 days.
anyway, my question is can you guys offer some tips as far as where to stop along the way, must see attractions, attached is our planned route but it is not set in stone. I was thinking of changing the return route to visit more states to make it more interesting. I'd like to hit as many states as possible without going to far off course. Neither of us have been through the states on this route so we are at your mercy.
We are planning on riding around 10-12 hours a day 450-500'ish miles or so, that will give us a little time to explore interesting areas. Can do more if needed (we've done 1100 in 30hrs) We plan on stopping in motels/hotels etc. along the way. No camping this time around. and we don't plan on staying too long in any one place except Niagara Falls. She has never been there so we will spend at least 2 days there.
If anyone has a better or more interesting route suggestion. we are open to that as well.

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

Last edited:

nokesy

2007 ST1300A
Bike
2012 RSS Spyder
I would slide over to the Knoxville area and go up the Dragons tail, Skyway and pick up 219 which will take you to Buffalo. Those are beautiful roads to ride and keeps you off the main highways

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Looks like a pretty good route, direct, but some good riding roads. Been to the falls three times in the last 4 years on rides and then one time with my daughter while visiting Erie, PA. The falls are awesome! If you have some time, get off the main roads and see "America". When traveling, I get a better perspective of "America" by traveling the back roads... it warms my heart to see true Americans... working hard, taking pride in their homes and businesses... it's hard to spot the true American spirit on most Main Street USA anymore. Let me know what you think if you do take the back roads.

OP
OP
STrangr

STrangr

Mike O.
Bike
2007 St-1300 Abs
STOC #
Noksy, we did the Dragon and surrounding areas last year. Was great. I would love to do it again, but prefer to ride some new roads.
Vinny, that's inspiring to say the least. I will take your advice. Any roads or towns in particular?

Bike
2003 ST1300
I live and ride in the southern tier of NY. If you want to head just a little farther east, I would recommend a couple grand canyon wanna bees. Both are near your proposed route.

Letchworth state park has a nice canyon and some real nice waterfalls.
http://www.nysparks.com/parks/79/details.aspx

If you head further east, the north south roads that parallel the finger lakes are good for views and you can still make reasonable time.

Pennsylvania Grand Canyon near Wellsboro, PA
http://visittiogapa.com/canyon.html
The small roads in this area are good as well. Rural forested area. My wife and I had a large black bear run across the road in front of us on 287 a couple summers ago.

Sounds like a great trip!

Bike
2010 ST1300
I like the Robert Moses Parkway along the Niagara River - its much nicer than the Interstate. And I also prefer the Rainbow Bridge - you get a nice view of the falls as you go over. It is much better than the Peace Bridge which dumps you onto the QEW - a rather boring stretch of road that rivals some of our Interstates. Consider Nexus - you fill out a form, get fingerprinted and then get to drive through customs almost like an ez pass toll bridge. Not quite as fast, but its expedited and the lines have been almost nonexistent compared to the regular customs booths when I've come back home.

Tank up just before you cross the border. Gas prices in Canada might give you a heart attack, though the exchange rate is in our favor now. On the way back, use any change and small bills to fill your gas tank - they have limited use in the US and banks tend not to like handling change. Different credit cards will charge you different fees for usage each time you buy something with them. If you have several, call your customer service line and ask what these fees are - you can save a bundle with just a few phone calls and by using the right card. Check your cell phone plan - some charge extra fees once you cross the border. You can buy a cheap plan extension for a week or so.

Oh, and don't leave home without your passport. They won't let you back in the country without it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
STrangr

STrangr

Mike O.
Bike
2007 St-1300 Abs
STOC #
Thanks sgio. Those look great. I'm originally from long island N.Y. But didn't have a motorcycle until I moved to Florida (can't beat the weather for riding).

Cucho

Carlos
Bike
2007 ST 1300A
If you have time, maybe you want to visit the vineyards in the area. The Niagara region is famous for its wines. Also, you may want to visit Niagara on the Lake, nice town not too far from the falls, link below. Enjoy!

https://www.niagaraonthelake.com

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
For the NY stretch, definitely Letchworth St Park as mentioned earlier, (PA 'Grand Canyon' is entirely skippable though).
Yes to the Finger Lakes as well.
Much nice riding all through north central PA.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
If you have time, maybe you want to visit the vineyards in the area. The Niagara region is famous for its wines. Also, you may want to visit Niagara on the Lake, nice town not too far from the falls, link below. Enjoy!

https://www.niagaraonthelake.com

If you decide to go to Niagara on the Lake take the Parkway from the Rainbow Bridge to Niagara on the Lake, despite the low speed limit is a nice ride. There are a few attraction along the route but mainly it is the slow winding road along the river, nice 20 minute ride.

Gerhard

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
And when you get near Niagra on the lake take the jet boat ride to the whirlpool lots of fun you will get wet!

Gizmo

Dean
Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
I echo a lot of the comments above.

• #16 is West Virginia is a great ride.
    • If you go that way you should probably detour slightly and stop at the big bridge on #19 immediately north of Fayetteville (if you do, wiggle your way down into the valley and over the original bridge - a little hard to find but so worth it and I can provide directions if you want)
    • then take #60 west to rejoin #16, the first part is dull but from Hawks Nest State Park on it is truly a delightful highway
    • once you enter Ohio you take #26 through Wayne National Forest
  • Letchworth State Park was recently voted the top state park in the USA and I enjoy visiting it in all 4 seasons.
    • if I had to choose between it and Grand Canyon of PA I would choose Letchworth, hands-down
    • Brian's USA Diner by the northern park entrance is a good meal stop
    • Taughannock Falls isn't too far from there, stunningly beautiful setting and taller than Niagara Falls
  • Allegheny National Forest has a number of quick stops
    • Kinzua Bridge
    • Zippo / Case museum
    • #666 through there isn't the best pavement but the curves and elevation change are entertaining
  • The Niagara Parkway from Fort Erie to Niagara-on-the-Lake is a scenic, leisurely drive
  • Goat's Island on the US side of the falls is a great spot because from certain vantage points you can almost immerse yourself in park and forget you are in a city. You can also dip you toes in the uppper Niagara River
  • PA
    • The Flight 93 memorial might be a good stop on your way back south
    • I've never been to the Coudesport Ice Mine but it might be worth investigating if you are riding through PA
    • Wycoff Rd and Hwy 144 are fantastic roads and easy to incorporate into a stop at Hyner View State Park
    • Punxsutawney Phil

Last edited:
Top Bottom