Florida to Niagara Falls any tips

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Just a short hop from Niagara Falls are the locks of the Welland Canal. Kinda fun to watch a ship or two pass through.

Blue Ridge Parkway.

A great ride can be had through the East if you stay on the two laners.

Go thru the green parts of your map.

Last edited:
OP
OP
STrangr

STrangr

Mike O.
Bike
2007 St-1300 Abs
STOC #
Letchworth State Park was recently voted the top state park in the USA
Great info Gizmo, thank you.
Based on your advice and others I have added Letchworth Park to our route.

#16 is West Virginia is a great ride.
If you go that way you should probably detour slightly and stop at the big bridge on #19 immediately north of Fayetteville (if you do, wiggle your way down into the valley and over the original bridge - a little hard to find but so worth it and I can provide directions if you want)
then take #60 west to rejoin #16, the first part is dull but from Hawks Nest State Park on it is truly a delightful highway
once you enter Ohio you take #26 through Wayne National Forest
I was checking on the map, and it does look great. But i couldn't get an idea of how much time I would need to follow that route. I am guessing the "old bridge" is the one on Fayette Rd? I followed upto that point. From there i'm a little unclear. Do I cross the bridge,take 82 to meet up with 60/96 then hang a left on 60/5. That gets really confusing.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I would slide over to the Knoxville area and go up the Dragons tail, Skyway and pick up 219 which will take you to Buffalo. Those are beautiful roads to ride and keeps you off the main highways
+1 on the 219.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I could take or leave the Blue Ridge Parkway. OK road if you like to putt along sniffing flowers, but even then, after 50-100 miles it gets old. "Hey look, another view...just like the last 25!". Not saying it isn't awesome...just that seeing a lot of awesome gets old.

Lots of nice roads up through the WV/VA border area. Mountains everywhere, nice twisty roads, and unlike the BRP there is minimal traffic on the lesser known roads so every pulloff won't be a full parking lot. I haven't done much riding in PA other than slab, but I did enjoy the section of Lincoln Highway I did.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
DeanR, I would love to ride that road. Where do you think I can pick it up and return to my route without losing too much time?
BRP is not for making time. Mountains at southern end and rolling Virginia farms at the other end. Worth doing, if just once. Skyline Drive at the north end is real slow and can be skipped.
I suggest perhaps not returning to your route. From W Va north to the Falls is pretty much nothing.
Again, a NE route thru the green parts are best by far. That also puts you through the best of PA.

Gizmo

Dean
Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
I was checking on the map, and it does look great. But i couldn't get an idea of how much time I would need to follow that route. I am guessing the "old bridge" is the one on Fayette Rd? I followed upto that point. From there i'm a little unclear. Do I cross the bridge,take 82 to meet up with 60/96 then hang a left on 60/5. That gets really confusing.
You're welcome! If you are taking a major bike trip you might as well ride as many great roads as possible, and see as many unique sights:) Lots of great experience on this forum to help make the most of a road trip.

The farthest south I've ridden #16 is Tazwell, and the stretch north from there to Beckley is prime riding! From there take 19N and take the first right as soon as you cross the bridge (I think there are signs for the Visitors Centre). Then head down to the valley on what Streets & Trips is calling #82. It is basically an old mule path of sorts that has been paved and zig zags underneath the new bridge down to the river. Then cross the old bridge (can only go north-to-south) and follow the road up to 19. If you don't get off your bike it will add 15 minutes to your trip. Say 30 minutes to allow for reading the information panels and take a picture?

Ride across the new bridge (heading north) and then take 60W towards Ansted. The fun stuff starts after that, as you head through the park and towards Gauley Bridge where you can pick up 16N. That part of 16 is the dull part but as you go north it gets much, much better - more like the southern bit near Tazwell.

Gizmo

Dean
Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
I should mention that you when you visit Letchworth you can show your paid park entrance fee at the restaurant and they deduct that amount from your bill:) The best and easiest place to take photos of the most picturesque waterfalls in the park are within walking distance of this restaurant. But, in my opinion, the best trail to walk along is in the Highbanks Recreational Area - there is a short trail along the river with a fieldstone bridge across the river - because it has a passing resemblance to something you might see in a LOTR movie.

OP
OP
STrangr

STrangr

Mike O.
Bike
2007 St-1300 Abs
STOC #
I Want to thank everyone for the wonderful tips and suggestions. It is much appreciated. Keep em comin.

Can't wait :excited::slv13:

nokesy

2007 ST1300A
Bike
2012 RSS Spyder
I should mention that you when you visit Letchworth you can show your paid park entrance fee at the restaurant and they deduct that amount from your bill:) The best and easiest place to take photos of the most picturesque waterfalls in the park are within walking distance of this restaurant. But, in my opinion, the best trail to walk along is in the Highbanks Recreational Area - there is a short trail along the river with a fieldstone bridge across the river - because it has a passing resemblance to something you might see in a LOTR movie.
plus one on that, if you can stay at the Inn it is awesome, no phones no tv

nokesy

2007 ST1300A
Bike
2012 RSS Spyder
One thing you can say just about any road off the major highways running on either side of the mountains north of Knoxville is worth the trip, even if once there is so much to see and great roads.

nokesy

2007 ST1300A
Bike
2012 RSS Spyder
You could also rent a rustic cabin in the park, also nice but plain. and eat dinner at the Inn, roast beef is awesome.

While at the actual Falls, be sure to see it from the Canadian side. The US side is kinda tacky and the Canadians have done a beautiful job of flower beds, paths and the best views of the falls.

Top Bottom