Gloves Need new summer gloves

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
I have had a pair if these for about 7-8 years, they are just about to be replaced with a new pair. Normally, for some reason, my sweat and skin chemistry will rot out a pair of cowhide gloves in about two seasons. Elk skin lasts much longer, is tougher, and softer. I love these gloves, and surprisingly, they are comfortable in a wide range of temperatures, up to 90+. I wear them year round except in the winter months.

http://www.aerostich.com/competition-elkskin-roper-gloves.html

Bike
2016 R1200GSA
STOC #
I have the Motoport gloves. Spendy but love'em. Perfect 3 season glove (for me). Use the Warm'n Safe gloves when gets into the 50's and below.

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
I have had these (MOTOPORT Kevlar glove) for the last five years (I think) and they are awesome. Still look brand new and fit the exact same. I don't wear them every day, sometimes I wear a light weight glove if it's really hot out and of course a heated glove once it's dipping into the 40's or so. They have seen more time then any other glove I have owned. YMMV.

The palm area has a heavier rougher stich Kevlar, great grip but doesn't make them to thick.

Last edited:

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
I have a pair of these. Very nice and very comfy. Probably the best fit I have had. Only problem is that they only come in black. That's why I rarely wear em.
is that because the black dye bleeds onto your hands, or some other reason?
yep, that's the reason.
Dean, just wash them a few times until they don't bleed. That's a beauty of deer and elk skin, getting them wet doesn't affect them like other leathers. I do like the natural color of the 'Stich Ropers over any glove dyed black.

John

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Dean, just wash them a few times until they don't bleed. That's a beauty of deer and elk skin, getting them wet doesn't affect them like other leathers. I do like the natural color of the 'Stich Ropers over any glove dyed black.

John
Will do John.
Do you wash your Ropers or just keep em looking well used?

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Will do John.
Do you wash your Ropers or just keep em looking well used?
My first two pair didn't bleed at all. Never washed them. There's a certain cachet to well worn Ropers. :) This last pair did bleed a bit, yellow. So those I washed x 2. I did use a little Lexol on them after they dried out. I'm considering treating them with that water repelling stuff from Home Depot. Can't think of the product name at the moment. Edit: "Neverwet" http://www.neverwet.com IINM

John

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
So my Held Galaxy gloves wore through the finger tips and now I'm looking for replacements. I bought them used and got 2ish years out of them. I haven't seen anything similar that peaks my interest. I did pick up a pair of Sedichi from Cycle gear today by the jury is still out.

Bike
2010 ST 1300
I am riding with a pair of Icon Overlord Resistance in hi-vis from Revzilla. Going on my second summer with them, really like them.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I did pick up a pair of Sedichi from Cycle gear today by the jury is still out.
Are they the perforated leather ones? I bought a pair, had one good year and they were starting to fall apart on number two, probably would have offered very little protection if I needed them.

This year I am trying the Alpine Stars SMX-2 Air carbon. Liking them so far, but had a heck of a time to find a 3X.

Bike
2012 K-1600 GTL
STOC #
I ride in 90+ heat and high humidity and the original version od these have been the best so far for me http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/held-airstream-ii-gloves First pair lasted about 3 years and gave up in the fabric at the right inside wrist, fingers and palm were still great. They discontinued them and put in this wierd two line glove that I did not like so I replaced them with a set of BMW Airflow II and not nearly as good a glove. I have a pair of Icon Compound gloves from Cyclegear as well, but I am going back to the Helds now that they make the Airstream again.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I've gone the frugal route, which may not be for everyone. For summer riding, I use a pair of work gloves from Home Depot. The palms are reinforced and would offer some protection in a fall, but there is no protection on the back of the glove by the knuckles. However, I suspect that in a fall, I'm more likely to instinctively put my palms down and not my knuckles to brace the fall.

My girlfriend (and frequent passenger) has a similar, but heavier, pair in neon yellow. I've told her that if she sees me signal with my arms (which would be in addition to the turn signals) that she should also signal with her bright gloves since, at some point, I'll need to return my hands to the controls. I'm much more likely to do this for a left turn in the hope that it reduces the chance of getting rear-ended.

Last edited:

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
The best pair I have had were Speed and Strength Rage with the Machine (cheesy name I know but what can you do). Comfortable fit and lots of protection, cool enough for summer riding.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Are they the perforated leather ones? I bought a pair, had one good year and they were starting to fall apart on number two, probably would have offered very little protection if I needed them.

This year I am trying the Alpine Stars SMX-2 Air carbon. Liking them so far, but had a heck of a time to find a 3X.
Not sure. I took them back today. The right was okay but the left didn't fit quite right. They were too warm as well behind the hand guards even though they were a vented glove. Search goes on.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
I've been having some numbness problems - possibly related to a carpal tunnel injury and so I search for gloves that could alleviate that and found Shock-Tek which is based in Detroit (just north of Windsor Ontario where I live. Apparently the founder of Shock-Tek is one of the physicians who did the early work on carpal tunnel injuries and so the gloves are specifically designed to address that problem - and they work!

The firm has a line of industrial gloves AND motorcycling gloves which are really nice. I bought the mesh/leather lightweight ones for warm weather and the heavier all-leather gauntlets for cooler stuff. The materials are great, the fit and finish is very nice and the numbness is gone - and the price for BOTH pairs of gloves was just over $110 US (that's right kids - TWO pairs of really good leather gloves for just over 100 clams). Very highly recommended!

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
How about a link to their website? Sound like a good glove

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
Sure thing M-D: http://www.shocktek.com/

The summer gloves (Shock-Tek MC6070) cost $46 on their site - look under "Products".

I ordered them on-line and had mine shipped to a buddy's office in a Detroit suburb and had them in a couple of days. There is a guide on how to measure your hands - and it worked like a charm. I've tried a bunch of different gloves from the "name" brands but all of them made the numbness worse. The Shock-Tek gloves have virtually eliminated the problem - I can ride for many hours now without any difficulty.

Top Bottom