1991 ST 1100 overheats when Im not going 45-55 mph. Water pump? Thermo switch?

Bike
2007 yamaha fjr1300
Re: 1991 ST 1100 overheats when Im not going 45-55 mph. Water pump? Thermo switc

It will run out of coolant and overheat again. At that age the hoses and elbows and all gaskets should be replaced. My 97 thermostat came out in pieces as they have been known to failure and mine had. Overflow tube, hoses, thermostat, elbows, elbow gaskets, thermostat gasket, and go ahead and replace your hose clamps while your in there too. I had a few bad ones. The parts arent that expensive, but it ate up a whole weekend for me doing it. Go ahead and clean the carbs too. I thought my bike was running fine but when I opened the carbs all 4 pilot jets and emulsion tubes had blockages. Almost feels like it could wheelie now in comparison to how it was before

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Re: 1991 ST 1100 overheats when Im not going 45-55 mph. Water pump? Thermo switc

yep.... I agree, but so far NO leaks/smell and NO overheating!! :) thx so much!
Can you confirm this, just because it was mentioned to you more than once and you seem to have totally ignored this potential problem area? Did you inspect the overflow hose, where it connects near the rad cap, for a small split or tear in the hose right at the connection point?

Bike
92 ST1100

Can you confirm this, just because it was mentioned to you more than once and you seem to have totally ignored this potential problem area? Did you inspect the overflow hose, where it connects near the rad cap, for a small split or tear in the hose right at the connection point?
l
ol......."for the third time.....chicken".......sorry Bush, just couldn't resist:). Some folks....'they are just so hard to train'..lol....all in fun:D
Seriously tho....that little split open hose NEEDS to be addressed....or our time decifering is wasted my friend. But ,as others have stated, your dielema has just begun;)......we all have ALREADY 'been there done that'.

Joseph/TX

R.I.P. - 2016/11/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
1994 ST-1100A

Hot day(90+), 70+mph, temp gauge needle normally sets between half way to halfway(in that makes sense) to '11o'clock''.....at which time fan should come on.
FWIW, My fan comes on just past 12 O'clock.. ( '94 ST1100A)

Top Bottom