28A repair? 40A purchase from where?

OP
OP
IpswichST
Bike
1994 ST1100 ABS
STOC #
Nice, I love pictures! And what is the model number of the 40A alt? Is that listed in one of the multiple tutorials I have printed? I recall there is a parts list. I should begin searching and ordering.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Nice, I love pictures! And what is the model number of the 40A alt? Is that listed in one of the multiple tutorials I have printed? I recall there is a parts list. I should begin searching and ordering.
Here's the public link again that I posted above on doing the upgrade: ST1100 Archive Of Wisdom -
40 Amp Alternator Upgrade - A Two Part Series ! Now With VIDEO !!

And here's the parts list that's linked there: ST1100 40amp Alternator Upgrade Parts and Tools List/Info

OP
OP
IpswichST
Bike
1994 ST1100 ABS
STOC #
I have looked at old posts... Partzilla is the least expensive parts distributor huh. If there is a better source... dont hesitate to shout it out! :)

Im going to put the battery back on the shelf with a tender... pull the rear wheel... do what I can, and read the tutorial a couple of times. Fully understand what I am getting into.

OP
OP
IpswichST
Bike
1994 ST1100 ABS
STOC #
I have begun to look for parts. I was wondering about the 60A fuse block. As many have done, this is a good time to neaten up the whole electrical rats nest behind the plastic. I already have an auxiliary fuse box tucked away in there. Is there any reason why I couldnt purchase a new fuse block that has many fuses, a block that would also accommodate the 60A fuse needed for the upgrade? I could eliminate the other block. My point is... it's not like that 60A fuse needs to be all alone... right?

Oh wait... the fuse block I have has one power line in and then it is split among the other accessories... maybe I spoke too soon.

Last edited:
OP
OP
IpswichST
Bike
1994 ST1100 ABS
STOC #
Re: 28A repair? 40A purchase from where? - UPGRADING in PROCESS

OK... SO.... 40A upgrade has begun!

- Parts have all been purchased (a while ago)
- Alternator Upgrade Kit has been requested and is in my possession
- Bike has been garaged and at this point I have:
- Removed rear wheel
- Removed Gas Tank and plastic
- Removed Final Drive
- Removed all brake lines etc
- Removed swing arm pivot bolts
- Pulled drive shaft back and removed swing arm
- unbolted 28A alt and removed it

Drive shaft was in excellent shape. Looks new (Yay). 28A alt is smeared with gasket material. Obviously an attempt to repair something has been done.

I'm disassembling the old alt now to get the parts I need to build my new 40A alt. One thing I did notice... as those know who have performed this upgrade you are instructed to take notice as to the orientation of each 28A part taken off of the shaft. There is the outer nut, washer, then that first bearing. My outer bearing had the balls facing away from the gear unlike tip #3

Tip # 3 says....

"3. Before you remove the alternator drive gear nut, notice the ball bearing. Mine has a thin metal cover that hides the balls from view on one side only. Notice that the cover is facing the nut, rather than the gear...."

My cover was not facing the nut. Hmmmm.. what to do?

My next step is to clean the heck out of everything, inspect everything, then assemble the new alt.

Pointers... suggestions...tips.. thoughts, don't hesitate to chime in.

Thanks

Last edited:

jim 91 st

Jim 91 ST1100
Bike
91 ST1100
Re: 28A repair? 40A purchase from where? - UPGRADING in PROCESS

This is a great thread, hope to hear the conclusion as I am getting nervous about my '91 with 98k on it and all original. I think it's time to add a voltmeter at the least.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Excellent info on the upgrade.
I have a working 28A spare, and really like to keep my bikes stock as practical. Anyone in my area (Texas) experienced in rebuilding the 28A unit?

Top Bottom