2015 Africa Twin Confirmed

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I've read that the DCT is better at handling low speed shifting on dirt. Since I have little experience on dirt I would welcome the help, I'm sure there are others like me who would find it helpful. Honda is sure dribbling out the info on this bike, I guess to drive up excitement over it. The bike does look real interesting.

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
If BMW's marketing info is accurate about 2% of adventure bikes actually venture onto soft unimproved surfaces. In many places First World dirt roads are Third World highways. Regular street bikes can navigate gravel and hard pack roads just fine. DCT optional broadens the appeal to buyers that might not buy a motorcycle at all. Not an insignificant portion of riders in NC forums have never learned to ride a manual transmission bike. As long as manual transmission models are available and Honda USA doesn't screw it up and tie desirable features like traction control and ABS to only DCT bikes I think DCT models are a good thing.

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
Having a clutch to control power and wheel slip is pretty critical to offroad riding... Having said that, I've never ridden anything with a DCT, so I won't knock it!
Low speeds is exactly where I had the most difficulty on my VFR1200F DCT. I'm also concerned about how well Honda can make it work on a dirt bike---one that's expected to crawl frequently through slow, difficult terrain. :confused:

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Low speeds is exactly where I had the most difficulty on my VFR1200F DCT. I'm also concerned about how well Honda can make it work on a dirt bike---one that's expected to crawl frequently through slow, difficult terrain. :confused:
+1
I've not ridden a DCT motorcycle... But I've ridden lots of dirt bikes out on open country, hills, mountains, etc. where choosing to feather the clutch or to purposely not disengage the clutch is key, especially at slow speeds over rocks, logs, bumps, and the like. I gotta believe Honda will have to put a manual override on that bike, if not already in place.

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
While not with lots of horsepower many of us learned to ride dirt 40 years ago on Honda 50s, 70s, and 90s with 3 or 4 speed boxes with automatic clutches. You just drag rear brake against throttle to ride in the friction zone and close throttle to disengage the clutch. The brake controls speed.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Why can't they put a shaft drive in it??????
Just what I thought when I first saw it. It is obviously geared more to compete with the big KTM than BMW and Yamaha. They can keep it. I want a true adventure bike, not just a big CC dirt bike. Do a 1000-1200cc, shaft drive adventure bike with optional side cases and top box to compete with what is selling great for the other brands.

They invest research into something that will cater to such a small market as a big displacement chain drive dirt bike, but won't come out with an updated Sport Tourer?

Appalachian

No, the OTHER left!
Bike
Ever evolving
Why can't they put a shaft drive in it??????
Weight, power consumption, cost, easier to self recover if it fails in a remote environment, and most serious off roaders want to be able to tweak drive ratios by swapping out sprockets. How many reasons do you need?

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
I've been itching for an ADV bike, not that I really have any off road around here to use it on but none the less... :) After watching Long Way Round and Long Way Down in the past few weeks even more so!

I'm looking forward to seeing this, if the local dealer will even put one on the showroom floor. We shall see.

In the mean time I will just keep my eyes open for something used to come along.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Bear with me while I think this through. Most current dual sport bikes fall into two categories (except the KTM), big engine and shaft drive or medium size engine and chain drive. It seems that 800 cc is the dividing line between the chain and shaft drive models, with the KTM being the exception to the general rule. Suzuki, BMW, Triumph, KTM, and Yamaha already market bikes in one of these two categories in the US. Honda has what appears to be two models which fit these two general categories of dual sport or adventure bikes yet refuses to bring either to the US. Instead, they design a new dual sport bike which is a hybrid between the big bore, shaft drive and medium size, chain drive bike.

It looks like Honda has yet again designed a bike to answer a question no one asked. At close to 500 lbs. it's very close to the BMW 1200GS which already is too heavy to be a real dirt bike and the chain drive makes it a deal breaker for anyone looking for a little lighter shaft drive bike. How can this be a big seller? It's almost like Honda brings weird bikes to the US that don't sell well on purpose. At least its not as quirky as some of the other recent Hondas.

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Bear with me while I think this through. Most current dual sport bikes fall into two categories (except the KTM), big engine and shaft drive or medium size engine and chain drive. It seems that 800 cc is the dividing line between the chain and shaft drive models, with the KTM being the exception to the general rule. Suzuki, BMW, Triumph, KTM, and Yamaha already market bikes in one of these two categories in the US. Honda has what appears to be two models which fit these two general categories of dual sport or adventure bikes yet refuses to bring either to the US. Instead, they design a new dual sport bike which is a hybrid between the big bore, shaft drive and medium size, chain drive bike.

It looks like Honda has yet again designed a bike to answer a question no one asked. At close to 500 lbs. it's very close to the BMW 1200GS which already is too heavy to be a real dirt bike and the chain drive makes it a deal breaker for anyone looking for a little lighter shaft drive bike. How can this be a big seller? It's almost like Honda brings weird bikes to the US that don't sell well on purpose. At least its not as quirky as some of the other recent Hondas.
It does seem that Honda is missing the mark by putting a chain on a 1000 cc bike but Suzuki is doing the same with the VStrom 1000. I would guess the Honda will be much better off-road than the VStrom and will still be touring capable. I doubt it will hang with the KTMs off-road but it should be more reliable than the orange bikes. My guess it there will be something missing from this bike or some odd combination of parts that will leave you scratching your head. My other guesses are it will be heavy with crappy suspension......typical Honda.
Ultimately, I don't really care as I'm not in the market for a new bike right now. Just watching on the side lines and throwing in my two cents on occasion.
Mike

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
It does seem that Honda is missing the mark by putting a chain on a 1000 cc bike but Suzuki is doing the same with the VStrom 1000. I would guess the Honda will be much better off-road than the VStrom and will still be touring capable. I doubt it will hang with the KTMs off-road but it should be more reliable than the orange bikes. My guess it there will be something missing from this bike or some odd combination of parts that will leave you scratching your head. My other guesses are it will be heavy with crappy suspension......typical Honda.
Ultimately, I don't really care as I'm not in the market for a new bike right now. Just watching on the side lines and throwing in my two cents on occasion.
Mike
I suspect you are right about a quirk. It's almost like they do it on purpose.

My thinking goes like this--It's a Honda, it'll be over weight, expensive, missing features, and odd in some way.

Top Bottom