Alternative bike recommendations?

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
I got to ride an FZ09 and the motor was great!!! If I was looking to replace the ST with a street oriented moto, the FJ09 (basically the same motor as the FZ09) would be number 1 on my list.

My thoughts exactly!!! There are some amazing bikes out for this year and many priced right too. I was looking at the FZ07 but that new FJ eclipsed that one.

Are you still in town or did you head for the high country??? Mike & I might be up that way this summer, maybe we can connect for coffee.

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Are you still in town or did you head for the high country??? Mike & I might be up that way this summer, maybe we can connect for coffee.
I'm up in Montana looking out my window at 5" of new snow with more coming down. Supposed to ride the ST south in a few days. But I'll be here most of the time. The guy that owns the house next to mine is the national head of marketing for Yamaha motorsports.

I'm hoping to swing a test ride on the FJ09. I know the owner of the Yamaha dealership down in the desert. I think I read that they changed the state of tune on the motor of the FZ09 for the FJ09. I hope they didn't change it too much

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
I have sat on the FJ-09 and it is not for a person with a short inseam. I did not ride but I am sure it would be a great ride. My wife was not able to touch both feet and was uncomfortable with the big lean angle for one foot stops. I was very tippy toed. I am 5'10" with a 30" inseam.

Paawpabear

Ken Morse
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I'm going to recommend a totally different direction than the others here. I'm looking at a Honda F6B as my replacement for my ST maybe someday. More weight yes, but it carries it much lower and it will be oh so much more comfy. My concern with the V-strom and the like is trying to get my leg over it as I get older.

Appalachian

No, the OTHER left!
Bike
Ever evolving
If you're up for the spending the $$$, BMW R1200RT is a sport-tourer with more creature comforts and about 250 less pounds. VERY comfy.
By actual measure, it's only about 130 lb less, it just feels like 250 :) With the current BMW incentives, you can have a new RT with all of the good to the ground and touring features, sans audio for under $18,500 - about the same MSRP as the 2012 ST13.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
I'm going to recommend a totally different direction than the others here. I'm looking at a Honda F6B as my replacement for my ST maybe someday. More weight yes, but it carries it much lower and it will be oh so much more comfy. My concern with the V-strom and the like is trying to get my leg over it as I get older.
I am 65 and have no problem getting my leg over my 09 Wee 650. Step up on left peg with left foot and then swing right leg over seat to right peg. Easy, peasy. However if one is looking for a replacement for there ST1300 may I suggest the Generation lll Yamaha FJR 1300. I just switched last Oct. after 12 years and 130k miles on my ST1300. I should have switch a lot sooner.

Last edited:
Top Bottom