best brake pads?

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
Surprise that EBC didn't even get a vote. I like and still use EBC, front and back
In years past, there were many who tried EBC pads and had issues with fitment around the rotor. Lots of drag, pad wear and rotor wear issues. Last I checked on this was about three years ago. I use OEM. I still haven't needed to replace mine. They have about 27,000 miles on them. :)

Bike
'07 ST1300
Replaced with oem.... Rears early on after buying the bike new, in 08, an '07..., Was a little heavy on back brake pedal.... Just changed front pair at 30,000 miles... Rears still look ok but will change soon and flush fluid

Last edited:
Bike
St1300 '11 (frm new)
Interesting discussion.

Some seem to get really good distance out of the OEM pads. I've owned the St13000 from new and My fronts are almost down to the metal on the leading edge at 30500km ( /8x5=19000miles). I'm quite light on the breaks really as I'm not a high speed rider and I engine break into the corners mostly.

I'm replacing with Ferodo FDB2196St on the front and FDB2098P on the rear both recommended for the ST1300. I'll come back with initial feelings and in 4 years with wear statistics :)

Bike
R1200rt
I bought a set of Kevlar reinforced pads . 20 bucks front and rear pads, two years and have no issues. cant say if the stop better, which they are suppose too, but the stop as well as the last set. no noise very little dust..

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
I like OEM pads, they do a good job. However, I actually run EBC on both my bikes. I pull a trailer with the wing when riding two up and want the extra stopping power with the double H pads. One thing to be mindful of if running HH's on a standard braking system... if you grab a handful of brakes in a panic situation like critters in the road... be prepared for the consequences. I recently rebuilt all the calipers on my ST1100 and have EBC HH's on it... to be honest, it can stop, but refer to my previous statement!

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I like OEM pads, they do a good job. However, I actually run EBC on both my bikes. I pull a trailer with the wing when riding two up and want the extra stopping power with the double H pads. One thing to be mindful of if running HH's on a standard braking system... if you grab a handful of brakes in a panic situation like critters in the road... be prepared for the consequences. I recently rebuilt all the calipers on my ST1100 and have EBC HH's on it... to be honest, it can stop, but refer to my previous statement!
OEM ST1300 pads are HH.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
OEM ST1300 pads are HH.
That doesn't necessarily mean they're EBCs. HH is the highest rating in the U.S. DOT's system for describing pad friction. EBC co-opted it for its own use.

I can't say I've ever run into a situation on the ST where I wished the brakes were grabbier, so I stick with the OEMs.

--Mark

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
That doesn't necessarily mean they're EBCs. HH is the highest rating in the U.S. DOT's system for describing pad friction. EBC co-opted it for its own use.

I can't say I've ever run into a situation on the ST where I wished the brakes were grabbier, so I stick with the OEMs.

--Mark
????? I meant that OEM pads are HH rated because the previous posted indicated that they were not and EBC HH pads were.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Just curious. There are several styles of aftermarket pads out there at a range of prices. What material are OEM pads? Kevlar, Sintered something or another?

Bike
St1300 '11 (frm new)
Some seem to get really good distance out of the OEM pads. I've owned the St13000 from new and My fronts are almost down to the metal on the leading edge at 30500km ( /8x5=19000miles). I'm quite light on the breaks really as I'm not a high speed rider and I engine break into the corners mostly.
My apologies to all I'm just too pedantic.
Getting the old front pads out and having a look there is still a millimeter off the wear mark front and rear they are only half worn compared to the new ones, so I reinstalled the original front ones and replaced the rear as that set were only $nz45. So I'll get another 30.000km easily from the front, which is just under 40000mls.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Thanks for that tidbit, I just looked at the Ferodo brake pads I bought yesterday and they are Sintered HH.
Cheers
Just to throw another variable into the equation, what application are the pads designed for? For example, Ferodo sometimes makes pads for racing applications (or at least they used to). Those types of pads are designed to be heated up quickly, and run hot, at lower temperatures they don't work as well. So for touring and light sport riding they aren't your best choice. I had that issue years ago with a set of Galfer pads that were described as "superbike" application. They worked well when I heated them up in hard twisty riding, but for around town braking they didn't reach the proper temps for optimum friction on my ST1100. Also used the Ferodo racing pads back in the '90s on a sportbike because I found a killer deal on them, same story.

Bike
St1300 '11 (frm new)
Just to throw another variable into the equation, what application are the pads designed for? For example, Ferodo sometimes makes pads for racing applications (or at least they used to). Those types of pads are designed to be heated up quickly, and run hot, at lower temperatures they don't work as well. So for touring and light sport riding they aren't your best choice. I had that issue years ago with a set of Galfer pads that were described as "superbike" application. They worked well when I heated them up in hard twisty riding, but for around town braking they didn't reach the proper temps for optimum friction on my ST1100. Also used the Ferodo racing pads back in the '90s on a sportbike because I found a killer deal on them, same story.
Thanks for that knowledge bite, very relevant.
I decided since I didn't need them for a couple more years I'd take them back and exchange for something I do need.
I'm not demanding on the bike so best just go stock then I don't need to make a decision.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Has anyone used the Good Fren brand pads? If so do you like them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
Hey all, probably going to be replacing both sets of pads real soon and was wondering where the OEM purchasers have bought them. Local shop or online somewhere? Front and rears the same? Thinking about these. Can't seem to find pn#s in the catalog.

Skip

Top Bottom