Warm and safe gear on its way have question

OP
OP
Flatbroke
Got the bike wired up and the troller mounted in the jacket liner. Have it set up so the pant liner and gloves work off of yellow knob and jacket solo on red. Tried the jacket for about 1 mile windshield down at 58 degrees. Felt pretty good. Tried the gloves on high and it seems like they may take a long time to heat fully compared to the jacket which is rather fast. Hope the gloves will be warm enough in the 20s and 30s this winter.

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
Tried the gloves on high and it seems like they may take a long time to heat fully compared to the jacket which is rather fast.
Which gloves did you get? I have the Ultimate Touring II gloves and they heat fairly quickly (less than 1 minute). Also, I found that having the gloves on @ about 1/4 kept my hands warm enough, without causing my hands to sweat, with the temperature in the upper 40's.

Did you get the Gen 4 jacket liner? If so, I think that is supposed to heat up pretty quickly. The gloves won't heat up as quickly as the Gen 4 liner.

OP
OP
Flatbroke
Which gloves did you get? I have the Ultimate Touring II gloves and they heat fairly quickly (less than 1 minute). Also, I found that having the gloves on @ about 1/4 kept my hands warm enough, without causing my hands to sweat, with the temperature in the upper 40's.

Did you get the Gen 4 jacket liner? If so, I think that is supposed to heat up pretty quickly. The gloves won't heat up as quickly as the Gen 4 liner.
I did get the Gen 4 liner. I have the ultimate touring gloves. I ordered the ultimate II gloves but the ones they sent me where huge ( I still have them as I have to mail the other liner and gloves back). They told me they don't have a size large left. So my only option was the touring glove

this is the first time I've had heated gear and to be frank I'm am anxiously awaiting 30 degree morning commutes to see how comfortable I am

OP
OP
Flatbroke
Tied the gloves this morning parked at idle in my garage. Turned only the gloves on and in 2 min at 66 degrees on with knob all the way high my hands were very warm. I think I'm an idiot for waiting so long to purchase heated gear. Now to figure out how to mount a coffee mug on the bars for the morning ride in. 50 miles of warmth, music and coffees. Who could ask for more.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Have it set up so the pant liner and gloves work off of yellow knob and jacket solo on red.
Think you will find it is best to have the gloves on solo controller, jacket and pants wired together. Hands being in the wind require much higher heat on average.

For me personally, I rarely use the pants, but the socks... ahh... so comfortable.

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
Think you will find it is best to have the gloves on solo controller, jacket and pants wired together. Hands being in the wind require much higher heat on average.

For me personally, I rarely use the pants, but the socks... ahh... so comfortable.
:plus1: I too find that the pants are too warm most of the time; except when the OAT is below 40degrees. The socks are "the bomb", though!

I'm leaving for a two week trip this weekend. And, I'm leaving the pants home, but definitely taking the socks.

OP
OP
Flatbroke
I wore all the stuff in today even though it was only 52 degrees out at 0500. I didn't need it but wanted to try it. The jacket gets hot. And so did the gloves. Never could feel the pants though.

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
Never could feel the pants though.
Check the pants when off the bike, not riding. Could be a connection issue, or pants not working.

Just a thought; did you have the pants hooked up solo or to the gloves? If solo, you may have accidentally turned them off.

OP
OP
Flatbroke
Check the pants when off the bike, not riding. Could be a connection issue, or pants not working.

Just a thought; did you have the pants hooked up solo or to the gloves? If solo, you may have accidentally turned them off.
I plugged the pants in to the gloves via the jacket using the y connection provided. Kind of a pain the the *** as there isn't a bunch of cable sticking out of the pants and the y connection cable is short also. But good point I will get all duded up tonight and try them out in the garage.

i chose this method based on Kristi at warmnsafe suggestion on routing. I have shattered my knee before when trampled by a bull so I prefer to keep it heated as much as possible so it doesn't act up.

OP
OP
Flatbroke
#update#

rode 50 miles to work today starting temp 39 degrees and ending temp 46. Wore slacks and a dress shirt with heated pants and jacket over them. Was warm but not hot. Legs could be a little warmer but I was not uncomfortable. I had the heat trollers set at high. I did not use the heated gloves as I don't need them until about 34 degrees.
I am very happy with the heated gear. I will try it with leather jacket over heated stuff next week and may try leather chaps too and see how much warmer that is.

I can only imagine how nice it will be wearing my car hart insulated bibs over this stuff when it gets cold

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yeah, I can't believe how long I went without heated gear! And it's time to get it connected up.

OP
OP
Flatbroke
Update.
Coldest morning riding with heated gear so far 28* at 0430 hrs this morning. Wearing duty pants and shirt with heated pants , jacket, gloves and leather chaps and leather jacket, with balaclava and 3/4 open face helmet. Danner Arcadia insulated duty boots. 80+ mph for 50 miles all was warm but feet got a slight cold. Nothing terrible but since I have to wear black socks at work I may end up getting heated socks too for the few days we get these type of temps.

I had had to turn the jacket down several times as it was getting too hot.

If if you are on the fence about getting the heated stuff it is well worth the investment. This stuff is amazing.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
... but feet got a slight cold.
I have the Gerbings heated insoles which plug into the pant legs. Feet stay warm. I don't know if you have enough room in your duty boots for insoles, but if not, you could wear a separate pair of larger riding boots & change to your duty foots after reaching your destination. I use non-heated insoles in my riding boots and just swap out the insoles when colder weather arrives.

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
Well thanks for the quick replies. Gear should be here today or tomorrow at the latest as it shipped from Portland Oregon. I will connect it to the battery for now and try and figure out another method for charging phone and having a power source to run the air compressor I carry.

The compressor is good sized and Blrfl had done a write up on it here. It's a Pittsburgh
http://www.cyclegear.com/TRACKSIDE-USB-Outlet

Just picked up a couple of these the other day. Will mount one up front, and one on the back for the missus. Also grabbed a NEP throttle lock(CC not in the budget right now) and a cramp buster. Throttle lock fit great, right wrist loves the cramp buster. May grab one for the left side....

Top Bottom