Wind noise and optical clarity of windscreen

Bike
2005 ST1300
Hi all. Still doing my homework on the ST1100 and I have a few questions. One of my biggest complaints about my current ride (2001 Bandit) is the wind noise at highway speeds. I know that the wind noise is caused by my Givi windscreen. If I stretch way up, it gets smoother and quieter, but I can't stretch that far all the time. Also, if I crouch right down it's nice and quiet and very calm, but again, I can't ride hunched way down all the time.

So I'm wondering about your experiences with the wind noise on the ST. I am assuming with that tall windscreen and big fairing that it should be much calmer and quieter, although maybe I'm assuming too much. But that leads to my second question. I've never owned a bike where I had to look through the windscreen. Is it "optically correct", or does it distort? Does it reflect lights at night and does it reflect the sun during the day? My Dad has a large cruiser with a big windscreen and it distorts and reflections from the chrome make it difficult to see through depending on the direction you are riding and where the sun is. It also reflects car headlights at night which I find down right scary.

FYI: I already know the ST will solve my BIGGEST complaint about my current ride; the chain! I had a shaft drive for 13 years and miss it terribly! I am constantly forgetting to de-grease/lube the chain at proper intervals. I would love to be able to only have to change the drive shaft oil every 25,000 km again instead of lubing every 500-1000km!

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
Lot of this is personal preference. I like looking over the windshield with my head in the wind, I think it is difficult to create a still space behind a tall windshield because the vacuum created will be filled by rushing air and that results in buffeting. I am also a big believer in ear plugs which make the ride a lot more comfortable.

Gerhard

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I would say the screens I've looked through are optically correct enough for riding. I've not had any glare problems with the stock or my aftermarket screen. Also, there are many aftermarket screens of various heights, widths and shapes so you should be able to find one that works for you.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
the answer to your questions varies with rider height. The stock windshield on the 1100 (which I'm assuming is what you mean by that tall windscreen) is short enough that you will look over it. Some taller riders experience buffeting from the stock screen, so there are aftermarket versions that are taller if you fall into that category.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Have a look at Clearview shields. Come in various heights and also can be had with the same cat's eye cutouts the Honda OEM shield has, which help against back pressure behind the shield. I look just over mine and get no helmet buffeting and have a very nice pocket of still air around me.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
One of my shields is the Givi. They are only 1.5 in. taller than stock. What makes it useable is a MRA spoiler. Takes care of that wind noise.
I won't look through a windshield on a bike.

Bike
92 ST1100
Have a look at Clearview shields. Come in various heights and also can be had with the same cat's eye cutouts the Honda OEM shield has, which help against back pressure behind the shield. I look just over mine and get no helmet buffeting and have a very nice pocket of still air around me.
+many on the Clearview shield with cat-eyes! I even went as far as mounting the Laminar Lip on shield, more for front-end stability in 'dirty' air. Prior to mounting the Lip, still had no buffeting and always quiet behind there. Ear plugs?....not EVEN necessary, but I do listen to music thru ear buds.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Numberless personal variations and helmet designs...

Helmets are designed to be fully exposed to head-on airflow; behind a large screen it might actually be buffeting from the sides, yet even low pressure "reversing" the air-flow around the helmet (dunno if you guys ever notice, but above particular speeds I always feel my helmet getting pushed forward...), by which some streamlined design elements might start to get quite noisy, the helmet vents might not work as designed and further even the functionality of the visor-seals is impaired, leading to significant leaks when riding in rain and downpours...

With an airflow above the helmet, the vents will also not work as designed, mist and small droplets from road-spray might not get blown off the visor anymore, obstructing the view, requiring frequent wiping with the index finger of the left hand... logistically challenging if one needs to operate clutch, turn-signal, horn-button, high/low switch and have a good view at the same time...

Once a windscreen dirties up, like in bad weather, crossing roadworks, etc... it will affect the ability to spot potholes, gravel, tar-snakes, gravel, oil-spills, etc... on the deck directly ahead...

Due all the experiences my windscreen height (about chin level) still enables sufficient air-flow over the visor (and helmet vents!), plus it won't block my view once crusted during odd weathers/conditions...

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I have found that a lot of wind noise is generated by the seal or lack of a seal between the windscreen and the fairing where it is screwed down. Sometimes the noise reduction can be dramatic by making sure there is a good seal by using some very soft and thin foam weatherstrip at this joint.

Dan

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I have found that a lot of wind noise is generated by the seal or lack of a seal between the windscreen and the fairing where it is screwed down. Sometimes the noise reduction can be dramatic by making sure there is a good seal by using some very soft and thin foam weatherstrip at this joint. Dan
Thin bead of Dum Dum works well for that seal too.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I ride with my windshield all the way up, looking through it (well, anytime my speed is over about 55 mph). I have an ST 1300 and both the stock and Calsci shields I now use have been optically clear. That said, it is very obvious when I drop the shield and look through my glasses and helmet's visor. I ride this way because even with ear plugs, the difference in the noise level (head in open air vs. behind the shield) is significant enough to be bothersome to me. Reflections and distortions have not been bad enough to change my mind, though I do not do all that much night riding.

I tried Seafoam's Bugs-B-Gone and it took everything off the windshield (i.e. the cleaner wax I usually use). Next time out in the rain, water virtually bonded to the pexglas (lexan, whatever) and I could see NOTHING through the shield. I'm back to using Novus 1 cleaner wax and water beads off much like Rain-X. I'm not sure if the latter is rated for use on plastic windshields - at one time the instructions said no.

As stated above, wearing a helmet behind a windshield tends to cut down somewhat on ventilation - so much so that i ride with the visor cracked one click open (about 1/2" at the bottom).

The absolute best time to ride is very early morning in still air before the traffic gets going and creates turbulence. The ride on my ST then is sooooooo smoooth and quiet it is almost fantasy. To bad I cannot dial in the weather before I mount my bike....

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Usually available at auto supply stores. Silly putty for auto techs.
Yep, i.e. used to install the water protection foil inside car doors... :cool:
Over here its also/mostly called "monkey poop" ;-)

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
The waterproof seal we used in the Navy was called Gorilla Snot. It was real sticky.

I'll have to try sealing my shield to see if it makes a difference after I install the Laminar Lip I recently bought. Need to wait for the temp to get up to 70 degrees tomorrow so the dual locks adhere well.

Bike
92 ST1100
The waterproof seal we used in the Navy was called Gorilla Snot. It was real sticky.

I'll have to try sealing my shield to see if it makes a difference after I install the Laminar Lip I recently bought. Need to wait for the temp to get up to 70 degrees tomorrow so the dual locks adhere well.
When i mounted mine on the Clearview several yrs. back(8-9IIRC), I used the DualLocs JUST for trial and error getting location where I wanted it by jumping up on nearby Interstate, mixing it up with dirty air near corners of 18wheelers. Once located where turbulance had no effect on bike, I then permanently mounted. I used plastic spacers, the large plastic washers and rubber washers against shield, drilled the holes in shield,screw bolt mounted with the teeny self locking nuts. Left enough space at the Lips lower ends to get behind in order to clean. That may give you alternative thoughts of mounting more permanently if wanted;):).
Heavy rains, a bit WILL come up thru front vent on inside of shield. Of course, that small bit of airflow up inside of shield IS intentional from front intake vent, with rest passing towards motor and carb area.

Last edited:
Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
When i mounted mine on the Clearview several yrs. back(8-9IIRC), I used the DualLocs JUST for trial and error getting location where I wanted it by jumping up on nearby Interstate, mixing it up with dirty air near corners of 18wheelers. Once located where turbulance had no effect on bike, I then permanently mounted. I used plastic spacers, the large plastic washers and rubber washers against shield, drilled the holes in shield,screw bolt mounted with the teeny self locking nuts. Left enough space at the Lips lower ends to get behind in order to clean. That may give you alternative thoughts of mounting more permanently if wanted;):).
Heavy rains, a bit WILL come up thru front vent on inside of shield. Of course, that small bit of airflow up inside of shield IS intentional from front intake vent, with rest passing towards motor and carb area.
Brant: So did the Laminar Lip help reduce turbulence just above your helmet ?? Any other differences noted ? And where was your final mounting location of the Lip ? I have mine mounted initially just about a half inch lower than the top of the windshield. BTW, instead of using the dual lock "buttons" supplied , I used a strip of dual lock - to match the dual lock that comes adhered on the Lip. It's not going anywhere.

Last edited:
Top Bottom