Whats going on with my fuel gauge??

Bike
St1100, XV1600
I thought everything was working ok but then I noticed the fuel gauge was staying on full, even with the wires disconnected from the tank it still stays full, and the low fuel warning light still comes on and goes off normally with the tank disconnected! should i be looking for a relay problem or a direct earth problem somewhere??

Bike
2010 ST1300
Ground connections are probably the most frequent electrical gremlin out there. Other guys will weigh in soon with opinions on the reliability of the fuel sensor, but I would check the obvious and easy things first. A shop manual for your bike should show where the ground connections are for the instrument cluster and you might check these first.

I am assuming you don't have one of those magic tanks that refills itself as the fuel is consumed by the bike - thus always being full....

I like your avatar - good pic.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...I noticed the fuel gauge was staying on full, even with the wires disconnected from the tank it still stays full...
Definitely some wiring issues or maybe even a defective gauge; but I'd first check for ground issues, broken/cut cables, etc...
The low fuel warning is operated by a different circuit through an NTC-resistor, sitting on the fuel pump bracket.

OP
OP
Dinosaurbuilder
Bike
St1100, XV1600
in my haste to evaluate the problem as soon as I got to work I forgot the sender unit is located on the side of the tank (We all love mornings) So I just checked the wiring on top .... oop's that was the fuel pump, I shall check the sender (on the side) on Monday and remember to drain the fuel if it needs changing.

I think I would investigate the fuel level connector ( red bodied two conductor about knee high on left side) it's always seemed that that connector gets a lot of stresses/bending, that I think it's going to show up every time I put myown back. together.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
I didn't know about that side connector either, the first time I removed my tank. Then I had to repair the broken wire .......

Interesting problem. Maybe your bike is possessed ........

Anyone know if the fuel sensor resistance decreases or increases as the tank empties ??

Bike
ST1100
Sounds like a problem I had. I poked a stick into the tank and found the fuel float was stuck. a quick poke soon released it and all has been well ever since.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Anyone know if the fuel sensor resistance decreases or increases as the tank empties ??
Found this in another forum:

Honda state that the "Fuel unit resistance" which is to say the fuel gauge tank unit resistance should be:

At full level: 10 ohms
At Empty: 90 ohms

We checked Doug's 1996 and found the following:

Full (5-3/8" from top of float to fuel filler cap gasket surface on filler spout)- 12.7 ohms

8" from top- 24.8 ohms

10" from top- 38.3 ohms

12 from top- 52.6 ohms

Float at bottom of tank- 99.1 ohms.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
The '96 I bought last summer was not reading the fuel level properly at first, until I removed the tank and dumped the old fuel out, with a few good shakes to get it all out while upside down. Now the fuel gauge works perfectly!

OP
OP
Dinosaurbuilder
Bike
St1100, XV1600
All sorted, faulty sender unit, I had another tank with everything ok so I just swopped them over, although it's still saying full but if i push the float down the gauge goes down and that's with 3 UK gallons in from empty, but at leased I know there's fuel in the old gal.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...I had another tank with everything ok so I just swopped them over...
Good that you've solved the issue, but have an eye on the rubber gasket, or better even replace it with a new one... you don't want to find yourself and your bike in the dead centre of puddle with combustible liquid...

OP
OP
Dinosaurbuilder
Bike
St1100, XV1600
Good that you've solved the issue, but have an eye on the rubber gasket, or better even replace it with a new one... you don't want to find yourself and your bike in the dead centre of puddle with combustible liquid...
No Problem, I replaced the whole tank!!

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Found this in another forum:

Honda state that the "Fuel unit resistance" which is to say the fuel gauge tank unit resistance should be:

At full level: 10 ohms
At Empty: 90 ohms

We checked Doug's 1996 and found the following:

Full (5-3/8" from top of float to fuel filler cap gasket surface on filler spout)- 12.7 ohms

8" from top- 24.8 ohms

10" from top- 38.3 ohms

12 from top- 52.6 ohms

Float at bottom of tank- 99.1 ohms.
So, if the connector is disconnected , the gauge should read way below empty. And if the connector that goes to the gauge is shorted out, I would think the gauge should read way above full. The next time I have the left side cover off, I'll give it a try.

And if a resistance is added in series, you could make the gauge read exactly full ( not above full ) with a full tank of gas.

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
No Problem, I replaced the whole tank!!
LOL, so, depending on the condition of the reused item you're on the safe side then ;-)

And if a resistance is added in series, you could make the gauge read exactly full ( not above full ) with a full tank of gas.
Methinks bending the rod of the sinker is probably a more reliable (since KISS) solution there...

Bike
92 ST1100
LOL, so, depending on the condition of the reused item you're on the safe side then ;-)

Methinks bending the rod of the sinker is probably a more reliable (since KISS) solution there...
lol.....did that with my other listed ride, but it took three trys, removing and 'tweeking' the arm a bit.....you REALLY need to be bored to tears and in a fiddling mood though;).

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...it took three trys, removing and 'tweeking' the arm a bit.....you REALLY need to be bored to tears and in a fiddling mood though;).
Which hasn't happened yet (the being bored out of my mind part...), which is why my fuel gauge needle still rests on the RHS limiter for the first ~90km after refuelling... :D
The only fuel instrument I took immediate care off was the NTC for the reserve warning... uh did I get busy fixing that... ;-)

Bike
92 ST1100
Which hasn't happened yet (the being bored out of my mind part...), which is why my fuel gauge needle still rests on the RHS limiter for the first ~90km after refuelling... :D
The only fuel instrument I took immediate care off was the NTC for the reserve warning... uh did I get busy fixing that... ;-)
My STeeds gauge follows that same pattern....close to same km/mi. before movement. Just used to it, and pay no never mind to it. But it IS dead-on on the lower end, half to empty.....DAHIK:rolleyes:.

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
My STeeds gauge follows that same pattern....close to same km/mi.
The amount of fuel up in that "neck" cannot be monitored by the float... so the gauge remains on [full] till the level reaches the wide part of the cell...
The last 1/4 of fuel is another issue, the tank narrows progressively due the wheel arch...

But actually is that just nitpicking... ;-)

Bike
92 ST1100
The amount of fuel up in that "neck" cannot be monitored by the float... so the gauge remains on [full] till the level reaches the wide part of the cell...
The last 1/4 of fuel is another issue, the tank narrows progressively due the wheel arch...

But actually is that just nitpicking... ;-)
Not.......I try to run on upper half or nothing below a quarter tank. Pump will last lifetime of bike doing so, and already know mileage is constantly at 48-52mpg no matter LD cruisin' speed. Not that it matters, as mileage is fartherest from thought as to why I ride a scoot anyways:D:).

OP
OP
Dinosaurbuilder
Bike
St1100, XV1600
Took her out for a run to work today, fuel gauge still hard over full but poking the float lower the gauge does go down ... so fill up at half a tank rather than quarter, or even old school and look in the tank ..... memories.

Top Bottom