Where were you when the mountain blew...Mt.St. Helens???

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Not sure where I was when it blew, but I saw what remains from a distance in 2013. That's STyles's Blackbird, which he graciously entrusted to me while we rode the PNW together. The plan was to ride Forest Road 99 up the mountain but it was gated...still snowed in on June 30. Beautiful part of the world, especially when viewed from two wheels.

Attachments

OP
OP
ToddC

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
I was telling all of this to Ed (my boy friend) and he says to me "Lets see if I have this right... some guy you have never met is going to send you some ashes he found in his yard 36 years ago... and you are all excited about this?????"

Yup. He's got it right.
What ever floats your boat.......... that's what makes America great! :bow1:

Just found a good vial.....will fill and ship next week when I get back to Bothell.

ToddC

OP
OP
ToddC

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
I was telling all of this to Ed (my boy friend) and he says to me "Lets see if I have this right... some guy you have never met is going to send you some ashes he found in his yard 36 years ago... and you are all excited about this?????"

Yup. He's got it right.
What ever floats your boat.......... that's what makes America great! :bow1:

Just found a good vial.....will fill and ship next week when I get back to Bothell.

ToddC

Styles

2000 Non-ABS
Bike
'00 ST1100
STOC #
Not sure where I was when it blew, but I saw what remains from a distance in 2013. That's STyles's Blackbird, which he graciously entrusted to me while we rode the PNW together. The plan was to ride Forest Road 99 up the mountain but it was gated...still snowed in on June 30. Beautiful part of the world, especially when viewed from two wheels.
Great shot. You might like to know that within a week of the event a friend and I sent a proposal to the William Morrow Agency in New York with our take on the eruption. We proposed a blended book, Hemingway style -- as in In Our Time -- with interchapters marking science and Indian legend through Harry Truman's story. They rejected our proposal. I think we looked a bit like you did on that June 30th, raising your fist, as you might recall, against Nature's Way!

So it goes.

Styles

OP
OP
ToddC

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
OK ash in mail!!!

For some reason the pm of this forum will not allow me to post a pic from computer to pm. So here is a shot of your package with REAL Mt. St.Helens Ash. Hope it makes it in time for the class.

_20160601_221547.jpg

ToddC

OP
OP
ToddC

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Karen,

USPS says you will see my ash .......:).........on Monday.

Are all classes out for all next week??? Hope it shows up in time for your volcano lesson.

ToddC

Bike
2001 ST1100
STOC #
Be sure to check on those roads as you get closer to your trip. We've had an unusually warm spring this year so the snow melt is happening faster than usual. Those roads may be open by the time you get here. Enjoy the ride, St. Helens is quite a sight on a clear day.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Well, here are some pictures taken June 29. Amazing area, amazing scars left from the big event. There aren't enough words to describe it nor can the camera capture it all....... I can't imagine being anywhere near there at the time, must have been very devastating.

Attachments

Last edited:

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Gotta see if I can find my (film) photos from the late 80's. Much less recovery back then!

Even back in 2007 it was much worse:

Attachments

Bike
ST1300 "Big Red"
I was on my 1980 Gold Wing! Heading to a Seattle Outboard Assn. race at Silver Lake in Everett. Didn't notice it all all.

Long time ago but I think I got a third place that day.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I was there in 1986 and I remember somewhere along the road there were still remnants of a twisted bridge or two from the massive mudflow. Did they ever clear those out, or are they still there rusting away?

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Around that time, I had flown my pregnant wife (with #3) back to El Segundo CA (one mile south of LAX) and I was to wait out the next two months @ England AFB LA, before getting out of the service.

Top Bottom