Where were you when the mountain blew...Mt.St. Helens???

OP
OP
ToddC

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
On this day 42 years ago we woke to anywhere from 7 to 10 inches of light grey talcum powder covering everything.
Dead silent, no birds, nothing. No cars, no people, until we walked to the local Safeway to find the shelves were already stripped clean of everything. People running around the store like chickens. And no deliveries to town for the next week, highway closed all directions.

T

TPadden

Tom Padden
I was in the Philippines June 1991 for Mount Pinatubo, Subic Bay then Camp Commander in Cebu doing the evac. Pinatubo is estimated to be 8-10 times Mt St Helens,

The eruption ejected about 10 km3 (2.4 cu mi) of material, making it the largest eruption of the 20th century since that of Novarupta in 1912 and some ten times larger than the 1980 eruption of Mount St. Helens. To top it off a typhoon struck the island (Luzon), with its center passing about 75 km (47 mi) north of the volcano.

Tom

Last edited:

David Fyffe

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 ST1300/1978 GL
I was breaking camp at the Sweat Creek campground west of Republic WA.
All the way home it smelled like the battery on my 1978 GL was burning up and out of water.
Got to Spokane Valley about 3:30 and it was getting dark, had to turn on the news to find out what happened.

Top Bottom