Rear Wheel advise

Bike
2002 ST1100
STOC #
I have picked up a second set of wheels for my 1100 and the rear wheel did not come with the spider that has the drive flange. I picked up a second drive flange but as I was putting the wheel together I had a thought.

Question is, is it better to use only one drive flange that has the same wear pattern as the final drive (original) or would it be ok to use the two different flanges.

My first thought would be to stick with the original flange since the wear patterns of the two mating parts would be the same but might be overthinking this a bit. Second flange looks to be newer with less wear.

Yes I have always used Honda Moly60 each time tire has been changed.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Greg D.
STOC906

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Tough one to answer. Wear patterns, if any at all, have been set, so it might be best to use the original spider in both wheels. Other opinions?

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Usually agree with John but I'll go with Phil on this one. Simple reason: When reinstalling the wheel, there is very little chance yur match up the spider to the drive gear on the same teeth. :D

I've swapped wheels, spiders, and rear drive units, bike to bike and various spare parts, with no discernible wear. As we all know, the Honda Moly grease is the secret to long life; even BWM mechanics use it.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Usually agree with John but I'll go with Phil on this one. Simple reason: When reinstalling the wheel, there is very little chance yur match up the spider to the drive gear on the same teeth. :D

I've swapped wheels, spiders, and rear drive units, bike to bike and various spare parts, with no discernible wear. As we all know, the Honda Moly grease is the secret to long life; even BWM mechanics use it.
Yeppers, me too. The key is good quality moly and being generous with it! ;-)

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Usually agree with John but I'll go with Phil on this one.
+1...
The inside of the ring-gear is made of much harder, forged steel then that drive spline, takes some seriously worn down drive spline (and quite a long time of neglect) to damage that ring-gear...
A new, replacement d/spline will fit right in, no "brake in" period or such required...

What worries me is the mentioning of "wear pattern" on drive splines...
Fact is: they shouldn't show any... and if, the spline most likely need replacement ASAP, plus all other parts, like the wheel centre stub, hub dampers, etc... be seriously checked for any issues, significant wear, missing thrust-washer, etc...

But to give a remote diagnosis without any visuals is hard to impossible, some good pics of all the relevant parts and items would help largely to determine if steps need to be taken, or if all is in usable/roadworthy condition.

Bike
R1200rt
hard riding, lack of lubrication can cause a wear pattern but the gears are not matched like a ring and pinion would be . Just as long as the splines are not visibly worn thin , just slap some moly on it and go ride !!!

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Swap the original flange to the new wheel. Why ? Because it only takes about 20 seconds to accomplish. Then you will not be worrying about a potential problem and you can get a good nights sleep.

If it was a big job to remove the original flange, I would say use the second flange .........

OP
OP
kscyclist
Bike
2002 ST1100
STOC #
Thanks everyone for the feedback, looks to be evenly distributed and I will most likely use the second flange on the second set of wheels.

Martin as to wear patterns what I was meaning was with all mated surfaces some small amount of wear occurs, even with using Moly, so I was wondering if this small amount of wear would have any impact (or induce a future issue) if the flange was swapped out with a second one who's life started being mated to another final drive. My flange looks good and I have no concern using the current flange or final drive, was just wanting to not shoot myself in the foot if it was a possibility.

Again thanks everyone for the help

Greg D.
STOC906
1995 ST1100 RIP
2001 ST1100

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...with all mated surfaces some small amount of wear occurs, even with using Moly...
But there should only be marginally traces on the contact faces Greg.
If the splines look "worked in" for like 1mm or more, something is off.

Top Bottom