1999 st1100 switched power for a 12V socket

Hi,

I have read somewhere on this forum (I think), that it is possible to connect a wire in one of the 2 empty slots on the back of the oem fuse box to "activate" a relay.

Here are my questions:

1) what type of connector is needed on my wire (+) to plug it on the back of the fuse box? (a photo of the back of the fuse box is included, the yellow connectors is what I have, but the male does not fit in the slot)

two_empty_slots.resized.jpgyellow_connectors.jpg

2) Where do I connect the negative wires (ground) from:

a) pin 86 of the relay ?
b) 12V socket (lighter plug) ?

Do I connect them directly on the negative terminal of the battery or somewhere else on the frame?

Note: Originally, I was not able to add the picture of the back of the fuse box? It was more that 2MB.
Now, I have resized the image (less than 1 MB) and have been able to upload.

Thanks

Dan

Last edited:

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
To the right of the fuse box is there something jammed in to the battery box on your bike?
If there is you might want to check as I believe one of the 2 connectors in there is switched and can be used (with the spade connector you show above) to power a relay for your new aux power fuse box.

I thought spade connectors were all the same size; but, I believe they are also color coded to show how many wires and of what size can fit... I'm sure someone with more knowledge will set me straight on this!

OP
OP
Main fuse box (black) is at right in my battery box and over the main fuse box, there is a white fuse box (5 amp).
white_over_black.resized.jpg

This withe fuse box is protected with a rubber and there is 2 round connectors (green, not used).

5amp_fusebox_2conn.resized.jpg

I suppose it's one of these 2 green round connectors I should use to activate the relay (not one of the 2 empty slot on the main "black" fuse box)?

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
You can use a male spade lug (the right one in the picture) in the 2 slots next to the red/black wires. There are several sizes of spade lugs. Take the one you have to an auto parts store or where ever and buy the next size down. I don't know the sizes off hand. If you use the back of the fuse block, you will need to fuse the wire to suit your application. The 12VDC from there will be switched on/off with the key.

I've had trouble finding the correct crimp on connector that fit the round connectors. I cut it off and went with regular spade connectors.

OP
OP
Ok, so it means that I have the choice between 3 places from where I can connect a wire to power my relay:

a) the 2 slots next to the red/black wires on the main fuse box (black) => need spade lug next size down
b) 1 of the green round connector from the accessory fuse box (white) => round connector (bullet type) or cut off and put regular spade connectors

Will go to the auto parts tomorrow and try to find some connectors. Thanks Mark and Ron.

Dan

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
OR . . . if this is meant to be a permanent connection, snip off the connector and solder and shrink wrap the wiring. One less connector to cause corrosion and overheating in the future.

Top Bottom