Best cell phone mount

Bike
2010 ST1300
RAM makes an 'X' mount that holds most notso smart phones securely in front of you. The 'fingers' are spring loaded and accomodate a wide range of sizes (brands). Now, most of us use a RAM ball mount to hold the GPS, so you will need something like the dash 3 ball mount or some other system that provides multiple mounts. I have the former dash steel strip with 3 RAM mouints.

Advantages: 1. Your phone is held right out in front of you (next to my GPS on my bike) so I can see who's calling or whatever else comes up on the screen. 2. The phone is very easy to dismount and take with you at rest stops or if it rains. 3. Easy access to either the back or bottom edge to plug in a cable for charging while you are riding.

Disadvantages: 1. The phone is right out in the open. If you forget to take it off the bike at a rest stop, a less than honest sticky fingered ahhhhh, crook will be able to pocket it in a microsecond. 2. There is no weather protection - your phone better have some form of waterproof case. My phone's case is supposedly waterproof to 6 feet so this is not an issue. 3. The phone's ready access can be a distraction in traffic or when you don't need said distraction. 4. This 'X' mount may not hold some of the smaller clam shell type (older and smaller) cell phones. If you do not have an iPhone/Android type 'smart' phone type, this holder is probably not going to work.

BTW - my not so smart phone is just that. When it can serve me breakfast in bed without me telling it that I'm hungry, I will acknowledge that it is pretty smart.

Edit: Here you go. Someone else posted a pic of this mount here: https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?145721-My-first-farkle!

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I use the RAM-X mount for my phone. The thing it does best is easily accommodate my phone regardless of the case I might have at any given time. I'm always on the lookout for a better case. It also easily rotates between portrait and landscape view.

There are various length arms to connect the ball of the X-mount to the RAM ball mount on the bike and various bike mounts. It's possible to position your phone to just about anywhere you may want it.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I use the RAM-X mount for my phone. The thing it does best is easily accommodate my phone regardless of the case I might have at any given time. I'm always on the lookout for a better case. It also easily rotates between portrait and landscape view.

There are various length arms to connect the ball of the X-mount to the RAM ball mount on the bike and various bike mounts. It's possible to position your phone to just about anywhere you may want it.
+1 on everything he said.

Bike
VFR800
If you have a bigger phone like the 6+ or Samsung Note 2, ram has a mount that looks exactly like SMSW posted above. I've had it for about a month and I'm really impressed with it. You can flip it 90 degrees to hold a GPS as well. It's a great product and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
Yup... +1
I have the ram x-grip is what I think it's called. I ended up with that one after a few phone changes and having to always look for a holder for the new phone.

The only think I don't like about it... I can't get the phone out of the holder with one hand. Not a huge issue really and I suppose putting the phone into the mount isn't as easy as with a phone specific holder but then you run into phone case issues.

A buddy has the exact same thing, still called the same name, but his is a little larger and I would have gone with the larger one if I would have known they came in different sizes.

It really is a nice holder for whatever you want to put in it. (phone, gps, tablet...).

Bike
2005 ST1300
X grip regular size here too. I have had it for 2-3 years. I have used it with my Samsung Note 3 and 3 different Garmin GPS's including the 5" 2597LMT.

No issues and very well made. The design makes it easy to keep a zip loc bag over the unit if it rains.

Bike
2004 ST1300A
I have an x-grip that is mounted to my brake reservoir clamp (beside the throttle). Not only does it hold my phone, I also use it to put my helmet on when I make stops.

I know someone desperate could lift my helmet, but most realize the market for used helmets is small. The big plus is that the helmet then covers the more desirable GPS, which could be easily be fenced.

Bike
2004 ST1300A
X-grip works great!! Never worry about phone falling out!
I will add, because I use it to hang my "hat" on, I have inadvertently lost a couple of the rubber ends when I pulled the helmet off. For $6 I got 4 shipped to my door...now I just need to figure how to glue them on!

Bike
2010 ST1300

Check out life proof cases (might be one word). They are supposed to be 'life' proof. Pricey, but water and shock poof.

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
I have a life proof case. They make a bicycle mount. I cut the ball off of that mount, drilled and tapped the smaller ball to accept the ram ball. So the double ball mount works great with the clutch perch mount from RAM.
:tb1:

STrangr

Mike O.
Bike
2007 St-1300 Abs
STOC #
I use the ram mount with a ram aqua box. This thing is indestructible. It is completely waterproof, has a place fora lock so you don't need to remove it at gas stops, and you can run power to it from the bottom without compromising it's waterproofness, (I think that's a word) it also has a flex lens which allows operation of your device. here's the link. http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-aqua-box-2-medium-cradle.html

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I use a Biologic case attached to the clutch MC via a ram ball a very secure mount and waterproof. It also has a port for the charging cord so I don't run the battery down.

Bike
2007 Honda ST-1300

+1. Love mine. You do have to be diligent to remove the phone when you dismount the bike.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
You do have to be diligent to remove the phone when you dismount the bike.
Nah. Leave it in place and somebody else is sure to come along and help with that. ;) It may take them a while to get around to letting you know they have it, though.

Top Bottom