Looking for a new GPS.

Bike
2004 ST1300A
Please excuse my ignorance on some of this new technology but I'm looking for a GPS for my ST and would prefer something that is easy to use, waterproof, visible in sunlight, and that I can use something like an ear bud to hear the voice prompts when I either can't or don't want to look at the screen, mostly in urban areas where traffic is heavy and decisions on lane choice and exits have to be made quickly. I Know nothing about using Bluetooth, xm, or any other wireless device and I have a very basic cell phone with few features. I don't have an aversion to potentially using them I just don't know anything about them. I've used a Nuvi 50 in my car and been happy with it but on a motorcycle it's a different story. I don't mind spending some money if the value is good but don't want to pay for a lot of features I will probably never use.

thanks, Pat

Bike
2006 ST1300
I went through this, and decided, since I am forced to be frugal, to use my NUVI 40 on the bike as well as in the two cars...I decided that it's too tempting just to blow money on farkles when it COULD go for gas or maintenance. I use it in a RAM mount, and I made a screen shade for it to make it easier to see it in bright sunshine. Yes, it took a bit of doing, and yes, it is a bit of a sacrifice to use it on all 4 vehicles. Yes, I COULD rationalize, and say I NEED a waterproof unit, and one that I can hook into a 500$ Bluetooth headset, but in reality, a ziploc bag and having it mounted in a good location , so that it is visible while riding ( I ride in Atlanta traffic, and have no troubles there...). I've been using the NUVI 40 for 2 years now, and it has worked well for me.

Of course, if you HAVE $500-1000 to blow on a moto GPS, (maybe a bit less if you buy a Chinavision, etc)..go for it...I'll keep the $$$$....

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
You might look at the Chinavasion site at their new 5 inch GPS - waterproof, motorcycle and works well with gloves, not to mention a decent price. You do have to buy the software separately, but it is not a big deal to install nor maintain. It has an MP3 player, but I've not tried it. The GPS function works very well. You might look at these threads -

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?145579-Big-ride-coming-up-need-some-suggestions&highlight=

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?134842-Setting-Up-A-Chinavasion-Rage-GPS&highlight=

It's just another option that is out there. ;-)

EDIT - This unit also has both Bluetooth and a headset jack so you can use either one. ;-)

Last edited:
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
I went through this, and decided, since I am forced to be frugal, to use my NUVI 40 on the bike as well as in the two cars...I decided that it's too tempting just to blow money on farkles when it COULD go for gas or maintenance. I use it in a RAM mount, and I made a screen shade for it to make it easier to see it in bright sunshine. Yes, it took a bit of doing, and yes, it is a bit of a sacrifice to use it on all 4 vehicles. Yes, I COULD rationalize, and say I NEED a waterproof unit, and one that I can hook into a 500$ Bluetooth headset, but in reality, a ziploc bag and having it mounted in a good location , so that it is visible while riding ( I ride in Atlanta traffic, and have no troubles there...). I've been using the NUVI 40 for 2 years now, and it has worked well for me.

Being rather frugal myself, I did the same thing. I bought a Nuvi for around $150+- and use it on both my car and motorcycle. When it's on the bike and it's expected to rain, I just put a plastic zip lock bag over it and all is well. I've no need for a blue tooth Nuvi but there are models that have it. They can be had for very reasonable prices around Christmas.

I've got mine mounted where it's in my line of sight so it's quick and easy to see.

As stated, mine is not a blue tooth model Nuvi. For safety reasons, I don't want the distraction of voiced instructions blaring in my headset while I'm trying to navigate in heavy traffic.

Below is a picture of my Nuvi 1450 mounted on my ST. It has a nice, easy to see 5" screen:

B_Dash_Shelf_Loaded_zps26ccee69.jpg

Last edited:
Bike
2005 ST1300
For the last 7 years I have opted to go the less expensive route as well. I have purchased the cheaper car GPS's and carry a ziplock bag just in case. I have only had to use the zip lock bag a couple of times in all those years. I haven't had any issues with the units and it has saved me serious money that I used to buy my Sena SMH 10.

About the only downside is it would be nice to have XM radio but I can play MP3 music and Pandora type radio through my phone and Sena unit. XM would be nice for talk radio and sports when I am riding out in the middle of nowhere and have no cell coverage.

I just picked up a Garmin 2597 LMT at Best Buy for $15O that I really like so far but I've only had it a couple of weeks. It fits perfect on my RAM mount X grip.

Last edited:
Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
and would prefer something that is easy to use, waterproof, visible in sunlight, and that I can use something like an ear bud to hear the voice prompts when I either can't or don't want to look at the screen
For Garmin GPS units, only the dedicated Motorcycle units have what you're looking for. They are expensive. If you choose to use a Garmin Nuvi (which is what I use) it may have bluetooth capability, but it won't necessarily work with your bluetooth headset. Check this out:https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={04794b50-0c83-11dd-dc9c-000000000000}

I use a Nuvi 1490T, to which I can pair my phone, but it won't work with my SENA headset. And, it won't send directions to the SENA headset, either.

Bike
2004 ST1300A
Please excuse my ignorance on some of this new technology but I'm looking for a GPS for my ST and would prefer something that is easy to use, waterproof, visible in sunlight, and that I can use something like an ear bud to hear the voice prompts when I either can't or don't want to look at the screen, mostly in urban areas where traffic is heavy and decisions on lane choice and exits have to be made quickly. I Know nothing about using Bluetooth, xm, or any other wireless device and I have a very basic cell phone with few features. I don't have an aversion to potentially using them I just don't know anything about them. I've used a Nuvi 50 in my car and been happy with it but on a motorcycle it's a different story. I don't mind spending some money if the value is good but don't want to pay for a lot of features I will probably never use.

thanks, Pat
If you want to save a few dollars you could look for a used one...I had a Garmin streetpilot 2820 for my old bike/truck for about 8 years. I sold it with the bike. However, I like it better than my Garmin Zumo 350(?) that came with my ST. There are a couple of 2820's on eBay for under $200. It is waterproof and is easy to navigate. It also has BT if you wanted that feature. Seems like they can be had for cheaper than that if you are patient.

If you want newer I noticed some used zumo's for sale as well. I'm not always a "spend-money-for-a-brand-name" kind of guy, but I have had several Garmin products with ZERO issues.

My wife has a GPS installed in her CBC Yukon and it is horrible!

I have one that I think is black and white... You are welcome to it!

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
I had a Garmin streetpilot 2820 for my old bike/truck for about 8 years
I liked the StreetPilot 2820. Now, however, it has one serious limitation. It has a 2GB internal storage capacity and does not have a micro card slot. You're stuck with whatever you can store internally. Otherwise, a great unit.

Top Bottom