Nice Simple Camera Mount

Bike
2007 ST1300 ABS
Last year, I created a GoPro mount that attached to the tipover wing, but there was some engine vibration and I wanted to get some of the rider (me) in the picture, so I came up with something that I think works well.

I bought an MCL antenna mount and attached some .75" square aluminum stock that I got at Home Depot. It's very rigid with almost no flexing. I really like the perspective and I can un/mount the aluminum arm in just a few minutes, leaving just the antenna mount behind.

Some pics of the mount assembly:
rear_view.jpg
front_view.jpg

I spent a long weekend in Beckley WV last week and got a few good videos. I'll try to add some links here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJKAhs73G8Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JiEVF1EPvU

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
The camera shots are great. I'm not sure about how far out that post goes. I would be worried about hitting it on something but nonetheless, great footage.
I had one (a friends) mounted on my left mirror for a trip to the Dragon a few years ago and the footage was similar to yours, I like that. But I have to admit I like if from behind the rider better.
I haven't yet picked up a vid camera of my own, just not sure what to get for a reasonable price, and will think about a different mount area when I finally do get one.
Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
SilberPfeil
Bike
2007 ST1300 ABS
Nice! Any risk of dragging the end of the mount on a tight curve?
No risk for that. The only problem I see is leaving it on when the bike is unattended. I'm afraid someone would walk into it. When choosing a length, I made sure it was short enough to fit in a sidecase (it is barely).

OP
OP
SilberPfeil
Bike
2007 ST1300 ABS
I had one (a friends) mounted on my left mirror for a trip to the Dragon a few years ago and the footage was similar to yours, I like that. But I have to admit I like if from behind the rider better.
I like it when I can tell the camera is mounted to a bike. My first bracket showed a bit of the fairing and the front wheel, but I thought it would be interesting to see some of the rider. I find helmet mounts way too distracting when viewing - too much movement. And I don't like looking thru someone's dirty windscreen. I saw a cool mount on YT that was sorta over the rider's shoulder, but I couldn't find a way to do that without some huge mount that probably wouldn't travel well.

I'm hoping to get some two-up footage this summer. I think it'll be cool from this angle.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I need that while lane splitting so I can see how close I come to the cages! :D

On second thought, that might not be a good idea! :eek:4:

While on a motorcycle ride the week before, I mounted my Gopro on one of my TT shelves. The thing vibrated so much, I can't even stand to watch it! :eek:4:

Last edited:
Top Bottom