Boots ADV boots for sport touring??

Bike
'06 ST1300A
I need to be getting some new boots, as mine existing boots are almost worn out. Sport touring and commuting, plus some light ADV riding once I get my DP bike back into operation. My current dying boots are a serious sport boot, but not a full blown track boot.

I've gotten some pushback from a vendor on the idea of using ADV boots for sport touring, which makes no sense to me. Pushback on using touring boots for ADV would make some sense, but not the opposite.

So, what's the sense among the my fellow ST riders?

TOS

Bike
2015 Super Tenere
STOC #
If I could only have one pair of boots, I'd probably buy SIDI Combat Lite or Combat (Aerostitch).
I've had a pair of Combat Lites for a couple years and still look new. Rode in some rains with no leaks. If I know it's going to be continuous rain, I will add some boot covers. Comfortable riding and walking in. They are stiff when new, but what boot isn't. I just kept putting leather conditioner on them after every use for 10+ rides and in no time they were like regular boots.
Only complaint I have, the flimsy baffle in front of your shin, makes a little more difficult to put on. But, that is part of what makes them comfortable, I guess. And, the original laces stick to the Velcro easily, easy fix with some regular non-fuzzy boot laces.
When I got the Wee I purchased some AlpineStars Scout WP. Not nearly as comfortable as the Combat Lite but cheaper and more protection. I wanted the Combat's to last 10+years, so didn't want to abuse to much. I've had the Scouts about 6 months, not sure how hot they will be this summer as they are WP. Main complaint with the Scout is thickness of the area from sole to top of toe. I ended up raising my shifter 1 notch.
Both boots were true to size for fitting.
I'm not sure the Scout is an all leather boot. Some reviews said it was.
The Combat Lite is all leather. There is a SIDI Combat that has taller uppers and more of an Adventure boot you might consider also.
Good Luck and Ride Safe.

treemuncher

Vegetation Terrorist
Bike
'07 ST1300A
STOC #
I have Sidi Discovery Rain boots that I wear for weeks at a time when on long trips. You can remove the metal toes tips. They broke in quick and these are the most comfortable boots that I have ever owned.

I wear the Sidi On Roads when on the ST1300 but the Rains are actually more comfortable. Better too much protection than not enough. If you only purchase one boot, I would go with an ADV style over a road or track boot.

Average the cost of the boots over 5 or 10 years and they make good economic sense to own. Cheap insurance.

Steve398

... another retired Black Rat.
Bike
2018 BMW R1200RT LC
+1

I've had the same pair of Daytona's for at least the last 17yrs, been resoled 3 times, new gearchange plates once, and relined once.... still got the same leather and zips though :)

Absolute comfort and waterproof - the best!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I've had the same pair of Daytona's for at least the last 17yrs, been resoled 3 times, new gearchange plates once, and relined once.... still got the same leather and zips though
Did you have you boots rehabed at a "regular" cobbler or send them back to the manufacturer? Those are some nice looking boots!

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Did you have you boots rehabed at a "regular" cobbler or send them back to the manufacturer?
Here in the "old world" we can have them shipped to the MFG in Bavaria for a factory grade refurb (I also had mine resoled once), dunno if that works as well in the US, but the Revzilla video review does mention some factory repair service...

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
the Revzilla video review does mention some factory repair service...
Thanks for that. I'll check the video. Gotta love a factory refurb but shipping to Bavaria from here could be really pricey.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Thanks for that. I'll check the video. Gotta love a factory refurb but shipping to Bavaria from here could be really pricey.
I paid about € 45.- to get my pair resoled (big hoofs hanging off & dragging in the corners)... compared to the purchase price I would have paid them 150,- without batting an eyelash ;-)

Bike
2007 yamaha fjr1300
Adv and motocross boots offer far more protection from strikes by objects at the cost of some mobility. You really dont need that mobility unless your track riding. I know plenty of people that do both sport st riding and casual off road and only have one good pair of mx boots. I think if I had to choose id go with off road as well

Steve398

... another retired Black Rat.
Bike
2018 BMW R1200RT LC
Did you have you boots rehabed at a "regular" cobbler or send them back to the manufacturer? Those are some nice looking boots!
Nope, they're sent back to Germany for the repair. It ain't cheap but after all this time they are sooooo comfy!

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
If I could only have one pair of boots, I'd probably buy SIDI Combat Lite or Combat (Aerostitch).
+1 Combat lites are the only boots I ride my ST1300 with and I sometimes use them for light (not very rocky) dual sport riding. Comfortable once broken in, pretty waterproof, and they seem durable.

Top Bottom