Fuel pump. ????

Silver Bullit

Pearl Black
Bike
06 1300..Black
Bike will not start .All fuses are okay. tank is half full. battery is fully charged. sounds like it not getting fuel. Is there a test of some kind to see if pump is working.....thanks

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Check the rest of the easy things:

• What does the battery voltage measure while you're running the starter?
  • Does everything else (dash, lights, etc.) appear to have power?
  • Does the FI indicator on the dash light up when you first turn on the ignition?
  • Is the engine stop switch in the correct position?
  • Does the fuel pump run with the ignition on and the stop switch in the run position?
  • f it doesn't, do you see 12V on the harness side of the fuel pump connector when it should be running?

--Mark

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Does it spin faster than normal? Sometimes valves will stick partially open, not developing compression and therefore not starting.

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
A battery can register good voltage but carry too few amps; generally a bad cell. Perform a load test on the battery. Volts willpower up electrics, but you need amps to turn over engine. I've had a battery once that turned everything over but bike would not start. Replaced battery and got a one touch start. New batteries can be bad from right from purchase. This is an easy test, do it first.

Other folks may have a better test than this, but the only way I know to test the fuel to cylinder is to remove the spark plug and sniff following an start attempt; not too deeply though :hyp1:.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
A battery can register good voltage but carry too few amps; generally a bad cell. Perform a load test on the battery.

Other folks may have a better test than this, but the only way I know to test the fuel to cylinder is to remove the spark plug and sniff following an start attempt; not too deeply though :hyp1:.
The "what's the voltage while cranking" should be a quick and dirty load test.
The clock/odo reset after normal cranking also shows a charged battery no longer up to snuff.

If you hear the click then 1.5 secondish whirr the fuel pump is at least spinning and has juice. The whirr stops when the FI light goes out after it's power on diagnostic. Cycling the kill switch with the key still on should give another relay click and fuel pump whirrr.

Mine after sitting a month has given that fast turn over like there's no compression. A few 10 second cranks cleared it with some sputtering then normal operation.

Top Bottom