Bouncy front end on a 99 ST 1100 with 49K.

STOC #
Good to see you have the posting issue resolved and have received plenty of help and suggestions with your issue. I would have the forks removed and serviced, at which time the springs can be inspected as well.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
JuST my opinion but the whole conversation is moot until the OP takes the forks off and opens them up, measuring the fluid level or quantity (and condition) that comes out. I suspect low fluid. While he's at it I recommend disassembling and inspecting the anti-dive unit, the sealing lip on the piston in particular.

John
via iPhone 6

OP
OP
Bike
Honda ST1100
Thanks John and Malks for the suggestions. Just came back from a 2037Kms round trip from lake George and Mt. Washington. It was a great ride, even though the weather was a bit harsh at times. My good friend Steve ( an ST 1300 owner himself) planned it well and we made the most of 4 days of riding. Lot of bikes at the Americade this year, only saw 1 other ST, maybe they came down later during the week. I really loved riding the ST110, what a machine...it really starts to come alive at 100+ kms/hr and goes on all day effortlessly...hell of a bike..even though it was a bit bouncy at times...passing other (slow moving) vehicles was a breeze...lots of fun. i am starting to realize why this bike is revered so much and has a die-hard following.

Bike
92 ST1100
A big +1 on John O.'s suggestions!....plus what actually cured mine of this, short of emulators as suggested, was going to 10w fork oil. WAy better dampening, as I remembered this from ages past experience that the dampening orfices DO get slightly enlarged over the yrs. due to friction from the oil forced thru them from a high volume down to tiny openings resulting in a high pressure velocity. Heat from friction is also a given, under extreme conditions, as in moto-x bikes forks. And yes, in that case they can get extremely hot to the touch. Oil friction DOES create wear AND heat;).

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
JuST my opinion but the whole conversation is moot until the OP takes the forks off and opens them up, measuring the fluid level or quantity (and condition) that comes out. I suspect low fluid. While he's at it I recommend disassembling and inspecting the anti-dive unit, the sealing lip on the piston in particular.
I would tend to agree with this, JO is seldom wrong. You need to remove forks, drain, flush, check spring length, refill as per specs/process in the shop manual and on this forum at a minimum. Process is labour intensive and a pain so many owners neglect doing this for far too long. Makes a huge difference in road feel and handling. I refilled with 7.5 weight oil.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Like it was stated, Maintaining the forks is labor intensive.

In general, IMHO, owners of older bikes need to do most of their maintenance. It's not difficult, just have a little confidence to learn new tasks. It's basically straight forward, not magic.

I would install the RaceTech Gold valve & Emulator kit ( BTW, it eliminates the anti-dive . RT says it's not needed after the kit is installed ) and the proper weight straight wound springs. Check the bushings and replace the seals ( cheap insurance ) at the same time. You will be very happy with the results. Remember, those fork innards are 24 year old technology. Time to update. If you don't think you can handle the job, you can ship the forks to RaceTech. They have very fair labor rates to install their kits & springs - $125 plus parts.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Hey EZ-STRider, how about an update...?!?! You haven't posted since June and all of us that became "invested" in your problem still don't know if you've done anything (like service your forks?... suspension fluid change???). Are you still riding the bike with the old fluid? Learned to live with bouncing...?

Curious minds and all... Methinks you owe us a follow up. Sorry, pet peeve of mine.

John [who just changed his forks' fluid yesterday]
via iPhone 6

Last edited:
Top Bottom