starter relay

kbl

Bike
1996 ST 1100
1993 ST 1100, Did my annual oil change etc, but had dead battery and attempted a jump start from my truck(engine off) turned over but no start,OK, put batt on charger and came right up to full charge, this time only the infamous click,click,click, guess starter relay,fuses were not bad,called local Honda, #?~?π∆? 100.00 bucks !!!! Come on its a relay!!! There has to be a better choice, any thoughts, Thanks

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Try taking the starter relay off and clean up the contacts first. Giving it a few shakes may loosen up the inner contacts as well. Mine was a bit sticky and would SNAP off loudly after starting, but doing as I suggested seemed to cure it. Worth a try.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
1993 ST 1100, Did my annual oil change etc, but had dead battery and attempted a jump start from my truck(engine off) turned over but no start,OK, put batt on charger and came right up to full charge, this time only the infamous click,click,click, guess starter relay,fuses were not bad,called local Honda, #?~?π∆? 100.00 bucks !!!! Come on its a relay!!! There has to be a better choice, any thoughts, Thanks
Seems to me that if it turned over with your truck the starter relay is good. I think your battery is not holding a proper charge and can't pump enough current to turn the starter. The click,click,click is the weak battery triggering the starter relay. Just because you have a good static voltage doesn't mean the battery is necessarily OK. A small load could be enough to drop the voltage to an unusable level.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
. I think your battery is not holding a proper charge and can't pump enough current to turn the starter. The click,click,click is the weak battery triggering the starter relay.
I agree and a big hint to that is that dead battery came to full charge very fast, it should take a few hours maybe overnight to be fully charged.

Gerhard

OP
OP

kbl

Bike
1996 ST 1100
Excellent food for thought!! I believe you're on to something with the batt,my trickle charger was on batt but never brought it up to full, I assumed the charger was broken as batt was new, now not so sure.Thanks all

Bike
Goldwing
STOC #
I agree with the other posts that you probably have a battery problem. However, if you really need a relay check out Ebay.com. You can get one there for 8-20 dollars. I bought one there a few years ago and it is working great. But I forget which vendor I bought mine from.

Rick

Top Bottom