Fuel 3 bars, then flashing

Bike
'07STA
STOC #
Fuel guage went from 3 bars, to flashing. Sensor Fix:)

My 07 has a similar problem as others here. These last 3 tanks my gauge went from 3 bars to flashing with the amount of km left until empty. It stay on 3 bars for at least 100km... THEN a flasher..

I took off the left side cover and disconnected the fuel sensor and measured the ohms. It came in at 203. I thought it might be a sticker or something. I propped the gas tank up and removed the sender. It took no more than 20 minutes for the removal. It was very simple.

Picture of sender

Here is a short video of me taking the measurements

manual says this

Mine must be shot. What are your thoughts

An easy check is measure the ohms by the side cover. 1st empty your upper gas tank. Mine was flashing with 70 km left. Remove left saddle bag, then side cover. Disconnect the 2 wire plug leading to the gas sensor. Measure the ohms leading to the sensor. It should read 213-219 ohms. Mine read 203. If it reads outside 213-219 then the sensor needs attention. Prop gas tank up and remove the sensor. Clean the area where the rod touches the bars for the gasoline height. I cleaned mine with scotch bright. see video

Last edited:

woodybelle

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
Is there a stop for the float arm that you could bend to let the contacts reach a point of higher resistance? It seems odd that the resistance would be low. You would think that resistance would build up with age and corrosion. My bike did the same thing. I took the sender out and measured it and it was also low so I worked it up and down several times and the resistance changed to be in spec. I then bent the float arm slightly so the sender would reach the empty resistance sooner. That was about 3 years ago and I haven't had a problem since. I can't really explain it but it did work somehow.

OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
Well I think I cured my problem. I used a magnifying glass to look at the area where the rod rubs on and some area near the end looked darker than the middle part (poor explanation).. I took some scotch bright and cleaned the darkened areas and the ohms came back to 217.5. I put the sensor in the tank and lowered the tank on the bike and measured the ohms where it couples to the bike... 217.5 I filled the tank to 2 bars then to 3. Tomorrow I will put 4-5 liters and and try it out. See the videos.. Oh and luckily the dealers in Nova Scotia says the part is on back order and will not be in until early July... Lucky me. $130 + tx

video of the check after the install

Filled to 2 bars

:);):D:07biker:

woodybelle

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
I think you are onto something there. I may have cleaned the resistor also, it has been too long so I can't remember. But unless you are under warranty, cleaning is much better than buying a new sensor because eventually the new sensor could develop the same problem. Glad you got it worked out.

Bike
st1300 vfr800
This has happened on cars (Gm stuff with the use of a specific gas company ) and we are always putting GM TECHRON in the tank a couple of times ,seems to cure this problem without any fuss .

OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
July would have been a long wait.
NO waiting here. Ride 350km and refuel

I just got back from a refuel and run. I put 6 liters in (1/2 tank) , waited/prayed for the NO DRIP... Fired 'Ol Silver' up and went 30 kms. I wiped off the old "o" ring and the 2 contact surfaces. WE should be good to go for awhile. I will buy a new one if it acts up again.

OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
Finally after almost a week of rain the bike is on 2 bars of gas.. I will fill it up and continue.. I think this was a happy ending.:07biker:

Top Bottom