I'm finally there... the refurbed '94 ST1100 will get the upgrade...

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Is there a VAT in Austria? I paid about $465 for all the new parts in the US.No tax because I ordered from a dealer out of state.
Yes, we've 20% VAT... same for imports, just named "import VAT" then (plus fees as you have to show up at customs, explaining what the F you've in that parcel, what you need it for, the maiden name of your mother, what her favourite colour was, etc...)
However are those parts bloody expensive over here, let me amplify and draw your attention to loc #10:
http://www.bike-parts-honda.com/pieces-honda-detail-3929-13MAJX41-ST1100Y-2000-E__1200-PAN+EUROPEAN+ST+1100.html

Went to my STealer today, ordered the two O-rings and the shaft-seal...
Guess what? Shaft seal in backorder, dunno with what type of raft its gonna be hauled over from Japan...
Throws my replacement plans back for at least a month...

Last edited:
OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Nice offer thanx! But I don't think its worth the hustle...

31141-MAJ-G41, Seal, Oil...
http://www.cmsnl.com/products/seal-oil_31141majg41/#.VYA_Bka4Jgs

I was looking for the dimensions of that bugger, but no avail, and since its that brownish thing I also believe its some special, high temp type...
I mean while already at it, its logical to replace this seal as well... would cause quite a mood-swing if the old one starts to seep a couple of weeks after installation of that genny... ;-)

Bike
1993 ST1100
YIKES! those prices are crazy!
PS I got mine from Keith at Mason City Honda.I would think they would ship abroad.But ya I paid about a third of that for new.Also rarely have a delay getting them,so might be worth it even with VAT and shipping you still could save a lot.Too late for this project but maybe for the future.
I set up a group discount for forum members with him years ago.

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
YIKES! those prices are crazy!
Nah! Their just obscene... ;-)
(keep in mind that those € 1479.82,- are only the genny, the base/drive set is still not included there... but essential for doing the upgrade...)

David Silver in UK is a tat more humane:
http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/parts/by-part-number/partnumber_31100MAJG41/
http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/parts/by-part-number/partnumber_31100MAJG41OE/
but I'd still need to seek for the base/drive extra...

So the eBay deal on the complete kit for € 380,- + P&P from the Netherlands was a true bargain...

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Well, otherwise the project seems to lack karma...

Now the eBay sourced new swing-arm tool-kit seems to have gotten lost in the mail... seller claims shipment by the 1st this month, still no sight of it... (I'd items from Hong Kong arriving within 48 hours, so...)

Bike
1993 ST1100
I didn't have the seal Martin,sorry.
Ya it can be frustrating when doing a big project that needs a lot of parts and tools.I'm trying to think how I removed the swingarm,maybe a Guzzi clutch tool worked,...
I replaced the clutch on my Guzzi about a year ago and it took 7-8 months waiting on parts from various dealers.Broken promises and apathetic work ethic made it take a lot longer than it should have.Good thing about Honda parts are they plenty and usually are not back-ordered from the factory for months like Italian bikes,...AND the factory workers don't have pitchers of Grappa at lunch!

Last edited:

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Martin, you could probably get the pivot bolt lockring loose with a brass drift. If you have a helper, do two drifts at the same time on opposite sides. FWIW

I've seen at least one lockring that had been removed with a drift/rod prior to the alt upgrade I was involved with. When we went to remove the swingarm we saw the damage done to the ring by a steel drift of some kind. Managed to get it torqued OK during reassembly though.

John
via iPhone 6

Last edited:
OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I didn't have the seal Martin,sorry.
No Problem, thanx for your efforts anyway! Appreciated.

Martin, you could probably get the pivot bolt lockring loose with a brass drift.
Ah! You guys got the wrong impression ;-)

I do have the "simple" tool for handling the locking-nut around

mT2DuMWhkCbh7vgNBHheM-g.jpg

but wanted to upgrade for the real one:

$_35.JPG

which eases applying proper torque.

Contacted the UK based seller who promised to send a replacement right away; no big deal since I've to wait for arrival of the shaft-seal for the 40amper anyway...
A few days more won't matter, the job will then be done even more refined... ;-)
(at worst I'll end up with a 2nd tool to share...)

Inspected the wiring harness with the 55A fuse and found that, since its from an ABS-II, it has another OEM + line crimped in at the battery connector; me likes as I can utilize that as life-feed for my accessory relay.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
OK, tools and parts have arrived... now the logistical issue of *when*... ;-)

And FWIW: the front oil seal (Simmerring) in the 40A unit (P/N 311-MAJ-G41) is an NOK BE2408F (also found in alternators for Triumph and Kawas)

Bike
1994 ST1100 ABS
STOC #
Im about to start my upgrade (have all the parts... gonna request "the kit" from John)... and after reading this post the suspense is killing me! What's going on? what's happening!

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
What's going on? what's happening!
LOL! :lol:
Well, not much, waiting for more parts... so the issue of *when* is still pending...
(besides that I'm still in search of a small garage/workshop for lease... last I looked at were 35m? for € 590,-/month (!!!)... :nuts1: )

I'd intended to replace the front side oil seal of that 40A alternator, just precautionary...
In order to do so I knocked the thing apart (yep, completely, brushes, rectifier, everything off...) and guess what?

Found both bearings in not so good shape...
Besides quite an amount of goo and road debris inside, and between all and everything... seems the air-cooled, thus not sealed design of the 40A unit is not ideal...
The races are rusted up quite good, I'm lucky the thing came apart that easy...

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Alright since the NT700VA was out the hangar, I got a bit bored...
so I threw the 40A upgrade on the '94...
Not a task I'd recommend/enjoy doing on the shoulder aside the road, but went rather uneventfull... except some fancy language here and there ;)
Found the swingarm being toast... had an NOS on the shelf though :cool:

Attachments

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Your bike sat for over four years?
Nah, got the red '00 ST as regular ride; the '94 is a side project (note the pole strobe) I'd kept limping on the 26A system...
Job changes, relocation of our bike shed, etc... added delays...
Next are: full carb overhaul, possible a p-spec wiring harnes and new dayglow livery supplied by Blue Light Graphics

Top Bottom