ST 1100 One hot exhaust pipe

So I have been trying to rehab a ST1100 that had sat for three years
Got the old gas out Managed to get all four carb drains open(hardest part) Changed oil, plugs, air filter, gas filter
Fired right up but will not idle without choke on fully
Checking for a cold pipe I found one really hot one (Ouch!)
Looking at old plugs that one is definately whitish
Obviously running lean on that cylinder
Next step Pull airbox and get at that carb? It is the rear one luckily
Anyone had this situation before?

I just want to ride

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
If the bike has sat for three years, then you might as well pull the bowls on all the carbs. It won't take much more effort, since you have to pull them as an assembly anyway. The isolators (rubber boots that join the carbs to the intake) will probably have to be replaced. If they are rigid or getting hard, then replace them because you will not get a good vacuum seal when re-installing the carbs. While the carbs are out, pull the bowls, remove the jets and clean them. While they are being cleaned, then pull the cover off the vacuum pistons and check the condition of the diaphragms. After assembly, run seafoam through the carbs to finish cleaning them.

OP
OP
So i see now that I have to pull the whole carb assembly Just cant get at the screw for #1 cylinder need some sort of special long thin phillips screwdriver
Anyway I have loosened three of the four and the assembly wont even budge a bit Is there a bracket or bolt somewhere that my Clymer manual didnt
say. Even with the one screw still tight I think the whole thing should at least wiggle a little

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Even with the one screw still tight I think the whole thing should at least wiggle a little
If the carb isolators are really old and hardened, it does feels like their welded in...
You might succeed if you *carefully* use a lever like a broomstick between frame tubes and carb-bodies, but ensure that you don't damage or deform any of the flap-linkages or the aluminium cast housing... (normally one just places the thumb on the frame tube and grabs the carb-bodies with his fingers and they pop right out...)
Also watch out for the drain-tubes attached to the bottom, you want to reconnect them later...

OP
OP
So the carb assembly is in a cardboard box and I have stuffed rags in the inlets. never wanted to see the intake valves
Does anyone have a good parts source that will ship to Canada
I need all four intake boots and carb kits and gaskets for the airbox
I would also like to replace those ridiculous hose clips that are on all the vacuum hoses

Top Bottom