Heated Grips Controller Flashing - What does it mean?

Bike
2003 ST1300
Hi Everyone,

I just had a quick question... I have the same heated grip controller as the picture below, I was just playing around with it and when I tried putting it to full max power the led's started flashing, even when I went down to 3, 2 and 1. After I turned it off, it was not flashing up until I had the max again. I can't find the manual for this online as it came with the bike when I bought it, but if anyone can tell me what it means when the lights are flashing I would appreciate it. It only starts flashing when I try put it to max or sometimes even 3

-Ron

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Means voltage is low at the controller. Check connections for any corrosion. From what I have seen of the stock wiring it might even be advisable to move it to a new circuit, one run direct from your auxiliary accessory circuit (if you have one).

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
You need to have the RPM's up a bit when on high or your bike will shed the power the heated grips.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Means voltage is low at the controller.
Agreed, I have encountered this issue before. You can confirm this answer by simply increasing the RPM of the engine when you see the lights flashing... faster RPM results in more output from the alternator, which increases system voltage, and the flashing will then stop.

I kind of suspect that Honda designed that heated grip controller so that it would flash when voltage was low. If that is the case, then it is a nice bit of engineering work by Honda.

Michael

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I kind of suspect that Honda designed that heated grip controller so that it would flash when voltage was low. If that is the case, then it is a nice bit of engineering work by Honda.
Exactly right Michael.
Despite being moaned about for their juicy prices, the OEM Honda grip-controllers are equipped with a low voltage protection, shutting the heaters off, thus protecting the bike's electrical system and alarming the rider with blinking LED about the issue...

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
They are working as designed. The flashing is described in the paperwork that comes with the grip heaters from Honda.

Trying to sort out my heated grips with the same switch as in the photo.Found no continuity in the right hand grip so will be replacing with an aftermarket pair but want to adapt them to the original switch. Is there a way of checking this switch to retain its use?

Bike
'06 ST1300A
Trying to sort out my heated grips with the same switch as in the photo.Found no continuity in the right hand grip so will be replacing with an aftermarket pair but want to adapt them to the original switch. Is there a way of checking this switch to retain its use?
Take a look in the ST1300 FAQs, here.

Top Bottom