Need new tires = NEED HELP

Bike
2001 Honda ST1100
Quick question: Just looking for generally accepted good, tires. After reading several tire threads, it seems that Bridgestone Exedra's get mentioned a lot. Just want to make sure I've got the right ones: Are these right for my ST1100? (Front) (Back).

Yes, I realize that there are a million opinions on which tires are best, for a million different reasons. Honestly, I am not too worried about getting the "perfect" ones. I'm still fairly new at all this (been riding 4 years or so?), and getting better at riding every year, but I am under no false pretense that I need anything fancy or special. Just looking for a quick "yea most people seem to think those are pretty good", or "in general most people stay away from those", or even a "you idiot those tires are for a different bike "... lol.

Background: My riding style is pretty casual. I'll probably put 5-6k on the bike this year ... While I would like to say I ride hard and am a total badass, I honestly am by many peoples standards a newbie. I try not to do anything out of my comfort zone, when my life is on the line, ya know? I plan to do a couple 3-4 day trips a year, and other than that its an hour o 2 ride with the wive and back and fourth to work ... I just want something that will generally work well in normal highway riding, and do okay in the occasional rainstorm and maybe some gentle riding in the twisties.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Bike
92 ST1100
Easiest answer is stay with what looks to be predominate here, major brands. Avoid Shinko's, Kenda's and cheap-***** tires simialr. They end up with wierd wear patterns due to there cord technology/quality control is STILL 'old school' no matter what there claims. Get what you pay for, and mid-range priced tires offer decent 'insurance' for rider where the rubber meets the road;).

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
: Are these right for my ST1100? (Front) (Back).
Yes, if your ST1100 is a standard model, all years, or a 92-95 ABS I model.

Would you like the official Honda part numbers for them to order from your dealer?

John
via iPhone 6

Bike
2001 Honda ST1100
Exactly what I was looking for thanks guys! The ST is an 01 Standard Model.

Would you like the official Honda part numbers for them to order from your dealer?
Appreciate the offer! I was actually able to find the Honda part #'s on my dealers site but I've heard buying the tires from them gets pricey in comparison ... I know one dealer in the area that will let me bring my own tires, so I will go there after I buy online. :) Thanks!

Bike
92 ST1100
Exactly what I was looking for thanks guys! The ST is an 01 Standard Model.

Appreciate the offer! I was actually able to find the Honda part #'s on my dealers site but I've heard buying the tires from them gets pricey in comparison ... I know one dealer in the area that will let me bring my own tires, so I will go there after I buy online. :) Thanks!
Motorcyclesuperstore.com...............couple days(sometimes less) to your door. No other online since KeelBros. retired can beat there price;).
RockyMountainATV.com comes close......if they happen to have what one needs:rolleyes:.

Bike
2001 Honda ST1100
Motorcyclesuperstore.com...............couple days(sometimes less) to your door. No other online since KeelBros. retired can beat there price;).
RockyMountainATV.com comes close......if they happen to have what one needs:rolleyes:.
Awesome. Thanks!

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
My good local dealer gives me a good price on my Exedras if I bring the wheels in myself and let them R&R the tires on their expensive MC machine. They don't ding the rims and I've never gotten an Exedra from the nearby regional Honda warehouse that was over a year old. You might ask your dealers...

BTW, in a pinch a Harley dealer may have a rear Exedra in stock. BTDT IIRC, it's a standard fitment for their Sportster model. One drawback is the inflated price for the large lettered "Harley Davidson" markings on the sidewall.

John
via iPhone 6

Last edited:
Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
BTW, in a pinch a Harley dealer may have a rear Exedra in stock. BTDT IIRC, it's a standard fitment for their Sportster model. One drawback is the inflated price for the large lettered "Harley Davidson" markings on the sidewall.
John
via iPhone 6
Going into a Harley dealership always makes me feel a little weirded out! A few years ago, I was riding down to the Dragon with a Harley riding buddy from Ontario, when he blew out a rear wheel bearing - hey, it IS a Harley! - and we got him towed to a Harley dealer, somewhere in North Carolina. My friend dresses like a Harley rider, so no one paid him much mind, but when I walked in, in full non leather riding gear, with a yellow ICON hi-viz vest on and white open face helmet, you would have thought they were looking at someone from another PLANET! My buddy said they probably thought I was a cop and I did notice one guy seeming to be looking for the gun on my hip! :D

Bike
2001 Honda ST1100
My good local dealer gives me a good price on my Exedras ...You might ask your dealers
Good idea on the dealer. I wont hurt to ask!

It's a standard fitment for their Sportster model. One drawback is the inflated price for the large lettered "Harley Davidson" markings on the sidewall.
Going into a Harley dealership always makes me feel a little weirded out! A few years ago, I was riding down to the Dragon with a Harley riding buddy from Ontario, when he blew out a rear wheel bearing - hey, it IS a Harley! - and we got him towed to a Harley dealer, somewhere in North Carolina. My friend dresses like a Harley rider, so no one paid him much mind, but when I walked in, in full non leather riding gear, with a yellow ICON hi-viz vest on and white open face helmet, you would have thought they were looking at someone from another PLANET! My buddy said they probably thought I was a cop and I did notice one guy seeming to be looking for the gun on my hip! :D
Lol! Literally laughing out loud at this ... :)

OP
OP

wgelhar

Wade
Bike
2002 ST1100
OP here. I have had the Exedras on for 2 weeks. Couple of observations. I will never let a set of tires get that far gone. I love how much more responsive the ST is with new, perfectly round tires. I can't compare or comment on how the Exedras are against other new tires, but compared to the very flat centered Battle-ax 023, they are incredible. Thanks for all the knowledge and experience guys.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Thanks for the follow-up, always appreciated. Thought I'd mention that the center sipe on the front Exedra will 'hunt' a bit on grated bridges and some grooved pavement. Don't worry about it. Keep a light touch on the bars and just let it do its little 'Bridgestone shimmy.' I don't mind this, and a center sipe clearly shows tire wear over time (wear bars at the bottom of the sipe). I get twice the mileage of the rear Exedra on mine (16-20K+). YMMV

John
via iPhone 6

Wayyy too much confusion for my simple tater...
But, is it safe to safe the moST recommended is the Excedra? Seems like it, but just checking. I have a while on the rear tire, but the front won't be too long away from replacement.
Now, to add more confusion...
I have no desire to run a ct, BUT, what's the deal with the rear tire up front? Do you just find a rear the same size and go with that up front? Probably a STupid question, but idunno the answer, so why not ask.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
But, is it safe to safe the moST recommended is the Excedra?
But only for standard and ABS-I/TCS models!

The post '96 ABS-II/CBS uses a 3,5" front rim, thus a 120/70 tire, a dimension the Exedra (G547) isn't avail in...

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Bridgestone must envy the product/brandname recognition of Bristol-Myers Squibb (now Novartis).

Motorcycle tire model versus headache medication - Exedra, not to be confused with Excedrin... :)

OTOH, my Exedras do prevent any riding headaches on my STeed.

Regards, John
via iPhone 6

Last edited:
Top Bottom