Ignition Problem?

OP
OP
wjbertrand

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I can't believe you had the willpower not to test it out ..
It's not hard when you're a pessimist and aren't in a hurry to be disappointed - yet again. I frankly doubt this will fix it. The only part of this, that makes sense to me, is that it's the only sensor I haven't yet replaced or tested somehow.

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
It's not hard when you're a pessimist and aren't in a hurry to be disappointed - yet again. I frankly doubt this will fix it. The only part of this, that makes sense to me, is that it's the only sensor I haven't yet replaced or tested somehow.
With all due respect, I do hope you are completely wrong and this solves the problem. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
...If I was your bike, I wouldn't run for you either with that attitude :rolleyes:, You need to believe your going to fix it, and it needs to believe you :well1:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I was reading on a Honda car forum about how a failing VSS can produce symptoms similar to a bad coil or a bad TPS. I found this weirdly encouraging. Most of the time there are symptoms with the speedometer as well as error codes though too. Never had either of the latter. Wish I was off today to test it. I noticed the rubber block where the wires emerge from the sensor was cracked and dry-rotted on the old sensor, otherwise nothing obvious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
:worthless

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Just curious what the old VSS looked like.
Keeping our fingers crossed that this works for you!

OP
OP
wjbertrand

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Just curious what the old VSS looked like.
Keeping our fingers crossed that this works for you!
Looks the same as the replacement one from Bob, except for some deterioration of the rubber block where the wires emerge. If I remember I'll try to snap a picture. Both test the same with Volt-Ohm meter (no specs for checking it that way in the manual though so don't know how valid) but I would expect that result on the bench since the problem only occurs under a very specific set of conditions, assuming this turns out to be the cause. I may fiddle with it later today if they let us out early. I've got to collect some oil as a lot more oil came out than I was expecting when I removed the sensor. My pie tin runneth over.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Both test the same with Volt-Ohm meter (no specs for checking it that way in the manual though so don't know how valid) but I would expect that result on the bench since the problem only occurs under a very specific set of conditions, assuming this turns out to be the cause.
The wiring diagram hints that the VSS is a hall effect sensor, so it works the same way as the ABS sensors would.

--Mark

OP
OP
wjbertrand

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Back from a test ride. For two and half years I've wanted to come to this thread and post that it's finally fixed. Wait for it.....

No Joy[emoji20]

Last edited:

v8-7

Site Supporter
There is only one explanation left........ THE BIKE IS POSSESSED !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe a Priest can help ?

I'm giving it a long shot.
The meter unit in the dash is supposed to be passive.
But what happens id it starts to give signal back to the ECU (for instance on the RPM signal....)
I write this because I had over a year trouble with my TPS sensor.
I had a strange signal on the ECU input. Even measured on the input values greater than 5V, the supply voltage of the sensor.
In my case replacement of the ECU solved the problem.

I guess, give it a long shot and borrow someone's meterunit.

Greets from the lowlands.

Martin

Top Bottom